Bike service poll

SimpleDom

Any LBS that does not let you know what you are in for before they proceed with the work, is questionable, to say the least.

Part of the post service/repair should be a test ride by someone who signs this off and should take responsibility when things are wrong. Christopher above says it like it should be.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do almost all my own work, the only thing a shop sees from me is suspension servicing.

a word of warning though from an insurance perspective( i know as i had a recent incident where i needed to claim)

if you do not have a service record( with a bike shop) and do your own servicing( i know i do a better job than most shops anyway) an insurer could refute your claim, for example a broken chain wrapped round a dérailleur causing a plate of spaghetti and spare parts may be viewed as inadequately maintained and hence a failure being your fault.

( this is probably a bad example but you get my point)

i haven't heard of any insurer doing this and am not saying its happened, however i was advised by my assessor that a service record or certification of sorts, if you do your own, is required in terms of properly maintained running gear. sort of like your car. just cause you can change the oil doesn't mean you should according to them.

2 things - one, no mechanic is perfect and there may be stuff that slips through the cracks. Especially if it was a Friday afternoon collection so you could ride on the weekend. Take it back, point out the issues and see what he says. If he sorts it out without a long face and finger pointing, fine. If the guy's either incapable or stroppy, then move on.

Second, the price seems fair. A full service, fork service, new pivot and headset bearings is not a small job. But as far as being quoted for a service and then coming back with a million extras as seems to happen quite often - not on. If anything over and above the quote is needed, a simple phone call to confirm is all that's needed. No ways do you surprise a client with a massive bill once the work is already done.

So I'm not necessarily worried about the pricing.... That was just for benchmarking really. I will go have a discussion with them to let them know about the issues. I think they at least need a chance to fix any problems.

For the record, I had not rushed them at all. I told them to keep the bike as long as they needed to.

I'll let you know what happens. This whole thing could turn into a great service story if they make things right. Plus, they are going to have to wash my bike again to take a look at it properly. ;-)

I just got my bike back from a service. Was quoted R400 and discussed everything before hand. Picked it up and bill was R1670

Never got a phone call asking or being told it would cost more nothing. Went in expecting to pay R400 and payed R1670

This is a bike shop I have always supported 100% and bought all my bikes from now I will never step foot in their shop again.

It's not the money it's the principle.

If I ever did that in business to one of my clients I would not be in business anymore so I don't think it's right or fair in anyway that they just get away with it.

I'm not a difficult person and it's not worth the fight but if any bike shops are on here reading this u need to sit up and look after your customers they pay your salary and enable you to work in a environment you love

I just got my bike back from a service. Was quoted R400 and discussed everything before hand. Picked it up and bill was R1670

Never got a phone call asking or being told it would cost more nothing. Went in expecting to pay R400 and payed R1670

This is a bike shop I have always supported 100% and bought all my bikes from now I will never step foot in their shop again.

If I ever did that in business to one of my clients I would not be in business anymore so I don't think it's right or fair in anyway that they just get away with it.

I'm not a difficult person and it's not worth the fight but if any bike shops are on here reading this u need to sit up and look after your customers they pay your salary and enable you to work in a environment you love

Hi Fusionbrad,

Please PM the shops name if you can, don't want you to name and shame but I've had a similar experience with a PE shop and am curious to know if it's the same one. I avoid them as much as possible.

This is what I'm talking about. A phone call to confirm would have kept them a customer. Before you draw and quarter them though, just give them a shout and have a word with the owner if you haven't already. It may just be a lazy techie that needs a PK.

We did chat about it, and I told them what I think regarding a simple phone call and how we discussed everything before hand which they have now gone against.

They acknowledged it was wrong but there is nothing they can do now and they have expenses.

Honestly in my business I take small knocks all the time to make my customers happy, if something goes wrong ether I loose or if I have a understanding customer we come to a agreement were we both loose equally

yes they don't want to loose money on a deal and no one is in business to loose money but loosing a customer over R1670 is it really worth it?

To mess up that badly and not say we can do something on the price or don't worry about paying for the labour especially for a long term customer.

To admit you where wrong and then still charge the customer full price?

I'm not fighting with anyone. I'm sure they a great bike shop in most parts and Iv always had good service and everyone has their bad days

I just honestly don't feel like going there again on principle, it was wrong and is not how you do business

.....or alternatively stick with the quote and do the service. A proper feedback session to the client on what needs to be looked at (and replaced in the future) will give the client ample time to prepare AND BUDGET for such an event.

Case in point - had a look at the stuff that was replaced on my wife's bike (as I always want the replaced parts back ). The wear and tear on them, considering my wife's level of participation and strain being placed on the bike and its components, would have been good for another 1000kms, EASILY! Just a good lube service and adjusting of derailleurs would have been sufficient.

At least we have a box of spare parts now for her bike, although not new.

i had an experience that completely opposite to the stories being told here and ill gladly punt the shop and it was an experience in customer service that still makes me happy.

i broke a brake lever and asked the guys at Cycle Lab to help by ordering me a new one, i waited a few days and called to find they had not ordered yet which irritated me because i wanted to get back on the bike. the fault was mine though a i had not said to order a set and they were trying to et Shimano to send on the left lever only, they however apologised and placed the order.

the levers arrived and i asked if they could help with a bleed and fit that day as i wanted to ride that weekend( they currently have a 2 week wait to get inot the workshop) they fitted me in no questions and helped me out.

i arrived to fetch my bike and noticed that the price on the box was R700 more than i was told on the phone, to add insult to injury they had decided to fit a new set of sintered pads to the rear.

i said to the guys you know i did not ask for the pads and had not budgeted on paying the extra based on my conversation when the parts were ordered.

they did not argue with me for even a second and sorted out the price on the invoice, i noted at the tilll that they did make a mistake in the following ways:

1. incorrect price given over the phone( the price quoted was less VAT and markup) R1717.98 vs R2400 odd
  2. pads fitted without me asking R518+-

they charged me the R1717 and R65 for labour for the bleed and fit. they did not charge me for the pads or try to give me the old ones back etc.

not even once did anyone try to convince me that i should pay anything extra etc, i was willing to pay-in and meet halfway but was not allowed to as they wouldn't hear anything from me about paying extra.

i know guys have had bad things to say about the lab and yes the wheel size chart thing is an insult but they have me as a client for life as they did everything with a smile and made me feel good about spending money in their shop even when they made a mistake they admitted it and made right and that takes a hell of a lot of balls in the current SA state of service or lack thereof we see all too often.

sorry about the hijack but thats my little rave about customer service and how to treat a client based on comments in the thread.

We did chat about it, and I told them what I think regarding a simple phone call and how we discussed everything before hand which they have now gone against.

They acknowledged it was wrong but there is nothing they can do now and they have expenses.

Honestly in my business I take small knocks all the time to make my customers happy, if something goes wrong ether I loose or if I have a understanding customer we come to a agreement were we both loose equally

yes they don't want to loose money on a deal and no one is in business to loose money but loosing a customer over R1670 is it really worth it?

To mess up that badly and not say we can do something on the price or don't worry about paying for the labour especially for a long term customer.

To admit you where wrong and then still charge the customer full price?

I'm not fighting with anyone. I'm sure they a great bike shop in most parts and Iv always had good service and everyone has their bad days

I just honestly don't feel like going there again on principle, it was wrong and is not how you do business

In that case, your R1.6k could have been better spent on some tools and a copy of the Park Tool Big Blue Book.

Would just like to stand up for Cycle Lab (not allot of kudos going there way) but I took my bike there with real brake failure the "Tech" looked at me and said with no hesitation that the problem can be fixed with a simple setting..... waited a total of ten minutes for him to re-sinc my road bike and running like a dream since... I do believe Chicle-lab have passionate members you just need to find them....

Few things:

1. As stated by Droo: The shop MUST at least phone you for an ok before carrying out specific repairs.
  2. Unless you told them to fix it 100%, no matter what it costs...
  3. You are going to get bills for repairs on cars, bikes, paint jobs etc UNTIL you learn to DIY.
  4. People who are prepared to 'dirty' their hands pay less.
  5. I have seen friends carting off their bikes to the bike shop for a simple derailleur/shifter adjustment. I offered to help for free. Their answer? The would rather have a 'professional' do the job. My thoughts? Cough up. And don't cry.
  6. I have seen a lot of rants and raves about cycle shops. One thing that leaves a smile is that 2 okes will RANT and 3 okes will come with a RAVE for the same bike/shop/race/tire/component/medical aid/insert your own rant.

• 4 months later...

I took my bike in for a service. Full service, including new bearings all round, new BB, new cables, fork and shock service. Cost me R3700. Ouch. It came back with the chain incorrectly threaded through the rear derailleur, the back brake calliper not even tightened onto the frame properly, and a creaky headset.

Do I :

A ) Sort it all out myself and never go back

B ) Go and complain and let them touch my bike again (sort out the issues)

C ) Let the know that it's happened but still fix things myself

I'm seriously pissed off, but don't feel like being a shouty customer. I'll also give them the opportunity to respond before I throw the name out there..... Just wondering what the hubber feeling is on the pricing and type of service....

Hey Bud, Next time try Riaan at Tribe on Main (cor Posthouse & Main, Bryanston). Best customer service and MTB service in town. PM me for tel no.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that you should call Chain Wizard. He has a fully mobile setup and comes to you at your home or office or does collect and deliver (so you could watch him work, if you really wanted to) and he will never go ahead with any work without your go-ahead. He has a good few years experience as mechanic on a professional team in Europe, so you couldn't ask for better quality workmanship. He absolutely dislikes having his work returned, so it is either 100% or, in the very unlikely event that there is a problem he returns to fix it, free of charge. He is on twitter @chainwizard Casper 083 508 6490

I may be wrong here, but if the shop does any extra work or replaces any part that makes the cost higher than agreed on, regardless of the cost to the shop you are not required to pay it. All additional charges have to be agreed to by the client (is this not in the CPA?).

If that happened to me, I would have politely informed the shop I would not pay for any additional labour and would pay for any parts at cost. Completely unacceptable to do that in my book.