The "Argus" factor ?

3wings

Just to show you how a slow/poor climb can stuff up your times, my stats of 2013.

1) Start to Edinburg drive.

11.8km - avg 29.0km/h

2) To St James

15.8km - avg 44.3km/h

3) To Simonstown

11.1km - avg 33.9km/h

4) To top of Smitswinkel

10.9km - avg 27.1km/h

5) To Soetwater turn

16.5km - avg 41.5km/h

6) To Noordhoek

11.5km - avg 32.7km/h

7) Top of Chappies

4.9km - avg 21.2km/h

8) Top of Suikerbossie

10.5km - avg 27.3km/h

9) Finish in Greenpoint

15.9km - avg 39.4km/h

Total time: 3:16:41

Avg of whole race: 33.11km/h

For most of the segments my avg speed/time was good enough for a Sub 3, only on the 3 major climbs, but more noticeable Chappies, did my avg speed drop by a great margin.

Worked harder at my climbing this year, let's see if it's going to help me at all.

These old legs does not have a Sub 3 in them at all, but I hope to improve on my PB of 3:07:33 in 2008.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alec, actually did a lot more training / mileage this year, so if the weather plays along, I'm sure it will be a good one.

Where you starting?

Absolutely no offense taken my side.

I think you have more than a fair chance to do a sub 4 hour ride, simply from your training rides the past few months and your average speeds. Go for it with all you have, That way you will have no regrets.

Other advice is to try get a smallish group of guys with a similar goal together to work together. It you can work that out beforehand, so much better, because looking for a good bunch in the later groups can be difficult. Otherwise I would simply jump every likely looking bunch and wheelsuck until they either go too fast for you or you feel strong enough to leave them and jump to the next group up the road. Climb as fast as you dare, easy pedal on the downhills and ride at a just sustainable effort on the flats. That will speed you up a lot. If the wind blows, you simply have to find a group that rotate and work together to share the effort if you want to get there quickly. Those huge groups where everyone sit and wheelsuck while 1 or 2 brave souls brave the gale, go very slowly.

Solid advice DJR, makes a huge mount of sense and received with grateful thanks.

An Epic rider (and Argus veteran of note) mate of mine came round last night to chat about strategy/tactics/do's and don'ts and his words very much mirror your own, and those of one or two other contributors to this thread.

One monster lesson I've learned is not to use the start of the Blue Route as a recovery section after slogging up Edinburgh Drive at the wrong pace.

That said, my climbing skills have improved dramatically since last year'

Went up Helshoogte by way of example at the start of the Medallion a couple weeks back and never dropped below 12km/hr - slow, I know, by some standards, but that would have been an unheard of achievement for me just 12 months ago. Even made it out to the 68km water point in just over 2hrs 15mins and was so happy with my performance.

But then the heat, coupled with the head wind, demolished any hopes of a decent finish and I ended up hitting the wall, stopping at every water point from then on, and finally crossing the line more that two and a half hours later - ouch !

Weighed myself when I got home and had dropped 4.5kgs, about 6% of my body weight.

Insane I know, and a hard lesson to swallow - but I won't ever make that mistake again.

Perhaps that's why I took it a little easier on the Bay City run - but at least OKW, Smits and Boyes Drive didn't get to me.

The Argus, of course, is an entirely different ball-game. It's about 'knowing thyself' and setting the right rhythm, working the bunches, staying out of trouble and enjoying the privilege that this spectacular event affords us all.

And if there really is an "Argus factor' out there, I hope my antennae pick it up, respond and propel me to the finish in the time that I'm reaching for.

These old legs does not have a Sub 3 in them at all, but I hope to improve on my PB of 3:07:33 in 2008.

OLD LEGS ?

pffffffft !

At 48 you're in the prime of life buddy - don't let anyone convince you otherwise - least of all yourself.

So I went to meet the enemy this morning...

Smitswinkel.

Did three consecutive ascents from Millers Point car park to the top - the Cape Point nature reserve turn off.

The speedometer dropped briefly to 11km/hr on the first run.

Stayed hovering nicely between 12 and 14 on the last (third) run.

Amazing !!!

Still trying to work that one out.....?

So now I'm wondering what percentage of the Argus steep climbs does that part of Smits represent ?

They say that Edinburgh Drive is steeper in places....

And that Chappies is more gradual but longer. (average 4.4% ??)

Suikerbosse is about 2km and reputedly 6%

So does anyone know the figures for Edinburgh and Smits ?

What I'm basically trying to get a handle on here is the total steep-climb-distance, the same for everyone of course, but where my speed may drop to 12km/hr..

Can anyone help out please ?

Smitswinkel.

Did three consecutive ascents from Millers Point car park to the top - the Cape Point nature reserve turn off.

Amazing !!!

So now I'm wondering what percentage of the Argus steep climbs does that part of Smits represent ?

What I'm basically trying to get a handle on here is the total steep-climb-distance, the same for everyone of course, but where my speed may drop to 12km/hr..

Edinburgh Drive according to MapMyRide

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/364569951

Smitswinkel.

Amazing !!!

Believe it or not, both 1.7km and 5%

Suikerbossie has got the steepest avg gradient @ 7% over 1.9km.

Chappies 4.5km @ 3%

This according to Strava.

Well done 3Wings on initiating an interesting thread with, notably, lot's of positive feedback.

Probably some of the best advice I've seen on The Hub and so well done to all the contributors - I'm sure there are many of us who are quietly lapping it all up.

I'm have trained for and am going to try for my PB this year and am also grappling with all these interesting issues and mindsets.

I think psychology is a huge factor and probably the best advice I can give myself is - ride within yourself for at least the first half and ride your own race - don't let the odd overtaker or passing bunch change your strategy.

If you can get to the bottom of Chappies feeling relatively strong - then go for it - you'll enjoy the climbs more - feeling strong - and finishing strongly really feels good.

Sometimes I feel I finish with too much energy and kick myself for not going faster - but it's nice to think - "what if"

BTW your average speeds you quoted earlier would give you a 30.8 km/hr average - around 3.5 hours.

Best of luck to everyone riding and here's to everyone finishing safely and with there new PBs

there is only one secret to a sub 3. get around Smitswinkel climb with the front of the bunch (A-G), if you miss the attack on Smits but still catch up before Ocean View you'll still crack on Chappies or Suikerbossie and be a few minutes down on the front of your bunch.

best is don't stress about the time, just enjoy the ride and suck wheel.

I hope for good weather etc. BUT I have run many 2 Oceans and have had a lot of time to look around then. Now I am ready to enjoy the nervous thrill of a bunch that is riding quickly but strangely quiet. I know, and look forward to, those moments when the bunch accelerates and you are deep, deep in the red while hoping they will ease off before I crack. The sweat running over my glasses while I toil head down to try and crest with the wheel in front of me. The burning in my thighs in the last 10k as I try to keep a steady pace that will hopefully not leave me a few seconds off a good time. I am not going to look around and enjoy the view - I am going to do what I cycle for - SUFFER! I am 48 and heavy so I cannot measure my times against others. I measure my average heartrate and aim to test myself. Endorphin is my drug. Each unto himself but no looking around for me - maybe on the second lap...

I think everyone needs to calm down, pray ........ ;)

Calm down ???????

I don't see anyone getting overheated here - and as far as praying is concerned, well......March 9th will deliver whatever weather it decides to deliver and I, like any other rational rider, will deal with that eventuality on the day.

Being prepared for that eventuality, rain, wind, or hectic shine is simply common sense.....

If you look at the stats for the 2009 'windy' Argus - that included Boyes Drive by the way - there were some quite extraordinary finishing times.

I, for one, am certainly not going to winge about weather if I fail to achieve my goal.

These next few days give me the opportunity to go out and 'meet the enemy', I am lucky in that regard of course, and I will confront Chappies, Suikerbosse and Edinburgh Drive beforehand so that they don't intimidate me on the day.

I have done several Argus's as so-called "fun-rides" but this year my target is a sub-four.

Anyone over 50 years of age, or in my case 60, knows that in order to make that happen you need to make a plan...

This thread is about assembling all the ingredients, including the elusive "Argus factor", working out a strategy and going for it.

In many ways I wish I was 25 years old and could party the night before, get on my bike and whizz round babalas as hell, in 3 and a bit hours.

But I'm not.

These next few days give me the opportunity to go out and 'meet the enemy', I am lucky in that regard of course, and I will confront Chappies, Suikerbosse and Edinburgh Drive beforehand so that they don't intimidate me on the day.

I like this approach. It must help with the mental preparation. Flying up a climb, knowing where to push, where to rest, where to stand or sit, what to expect around the next corner, that is invaluable.

I'm lucky that I live in the midst of the Argus route so every part of it (except Edinburgh Drive) is on my usual rides. I've never actually thought about "going out to meet the enemy", for me it's more like "going out to meet some demanding old friends". :D

More unsolicited advice:

Make sure you taper properly and don't do too much, too hard, too near Argus day. The older you get the more time you need to recover and taper, but I'm sure you've worked that one out already. I used to be able to rest/taper 5 days and be fresh for a big ride, now it's more like 10 gentle taper days if I want to be really ready on race day.

@DJR: I have been reading/ wondering about tapering a lot lately. What is your take? High intensity for 50% of your usual time , taper time and intensity? Other options?