Spinning as an alternative during the week

Hi,

Any thoughts on doing Spinning classes during the week and MTB training out on the dirt on the weekends?

Thanks

I think the 1st prize is still going for a bike ride.

However, I think a good spinning class will be beneficial.

Just make sure that you have a decent workout by ensuring that you use enough resistance.

Also, your class is highly dependent on the instructor. I find that most spinning instructors at the gyms are not cyclists and do not have a clue how to conduct a class.

Some cyclists sit in on the class but do not follow the instructor but rather follow their own training programs.

Also, make sure your spinning bike is set up properly.

So I think, it can benefit you if done properly.

Edited by funjunkie

Some cyclists sit in on the class but do not follow the instructor but rather follow their own training programs.

I do that, or use the spin studio on my own for hours when there are no classes scheduled.

Sure it will work nothing different than sitting on a indoor trainer I believe. Just train properly and do the correct intervals and training. Also which is nice is that one control the variables the whole time.

Friend has done 2 epics and a pioneer by spinning 3 or 4 days a week and doing 2 x 3hr rides on the wknds. Also did not place too bad with this tipe of training

Thanks guys, this would help as I find the road conditions getting rather hectic for morning / afternoon riding in and around Pretoria east. way too much aggressive traffic and an increase in muggings/hi-jackings taking place.

The only problem with most routine classes are that they spend forever "warming up" and then do all kinds of bizarre stretches for another 5min at the end. The actual time working is too short. Look for double sessions and skip the crap. MTB is mostly balls to the wall from the gun - get used to it. If you do it right it should be fine. I do 90% of my time on IDT.

The only problem with most routine classes are that they spend forever "warming up" and then do all kinds of bizarre stretches for another 5min at the end. The actual time working is too short. Look for double sessions and skip the crap. MTB is mostly balls to the wall from the gun - get used to it. If you do it right it should be fine. I do 90% of my time on IDT.

Try to get hold of a Cadenece studio near you, excellent and aimed for cyclists. You also train with a power meter and classes are well structured

no nice gym's or spinning studios where I stay, and time away from home is difficult in the afternoon after work, so I try and hit the stationary bike at least 3 nights a week, and 2 x 30 min rides in the mornings. it is boring as hell, but at least I still get a workout. Weekends I still manage a hard ride on the dirt. So it must help, any kind of exercise to increase your cardio system must and will improve your rides.

really enjoying the Cadence classes at Fourways (design quarter). Music is great, classes are always different and work to each persons indiv ability.

Barry Mocke is a great coach, keeps it fun and challenging, and actually shows a lot of interest in each participant.

Big thumbs up, since getting my kid to school has robbed me of my early morning mtb rides.

Hi,

Any thoughts on doing Spinning classes during the week and MTB training out on the dirt on the weekends?

Thanks

Works great...if you have a couple of extra zar's look at cadence or wattlab...if not go to the spinning classes, but just put your name down to get a bike and download some sufferfest videos...works beautifully

Thanks, started spinning last week and found and improvement in my Saturday club ride already - especially in the climbs.

Thanks, started spinning last week and found and improvement in my Saturday club ride already - especially in the climbs.

Yip, you see a spinning studio is controlled and there are no elements to contend with, you can also focus on hitting high intensity intervals accurately which is much harder to do on a bike...I train on the stationary trainer and have fun when I ride.

Spinning bike is excellent training. You dont neccesarily have to do a spinning class. Just use the bikes in the studio when no class is on, or the bike they put outside the studio in some Virgin Active gyms. Get on it for 40 - 45 min and make sure you sweat properly!! throw in some intervals that hurt.... You will see improvements in your riding. Then hit the dirt and fresh air on the weekends...

Spinning bike is excellent training. You dont neccesarily have to do a spinning class. Just use the bikes in the studio when no class is on, or the bike they put outside the studio in some Virgin Active gyms. Get on it for 40 - 45 min and make sure you sweat properly!! throw in some intervals that hurt.... You will see improvements in your riding. Then hit the dirt and fresh air on the weekends...

Yes yes...what batmanass says.....you sit, you hurt, you go home. Heck if there is one interval to rule them all, its tabata...just do 3 of these with some recovery in between sets and you will be laughing on the hills. no jokes