Argus 2014 DNF

Journosergio

So at around 60km's into the race, near to Soetwater, my rear tyre's (tubeless) sidewall exploded off the beading and after a couple of failed attempts by bike mechanics to patch me up I went home in a sweep vehicle as a DNF.

A first time for me and a very sad ending to a race that's for sure.

Were you also a DNF (Did Not Finish)? Tell us about it here...

Commiserations, its a lousy feeling.

I had serious rear tyre problems at the last Nissan Van Gaalens marathon but I refused to succumb to the Grim Sweeper and limped home, although I had to take a short cut, my plans A,B and C had failed.

So at around 60km's into the race, near to Soetwater, my rear tyre's (tubeless) sidewall exploded off the beading and after a couple of failed attempts by bike mechanics to patch me up I went home in a sweep vehicle as a DNF.

A first time for me and a very sad ending to a race that's for sure.

Were you also a DNF (Did Not Finish)? Tell us about it here...

I had to replace my rear tubby at Fishoek circle but ... luckily I finished!

:D

I had to replace my rear tubby at Fishoek circle but ... luckily I finished!

:D

my rear tubby needs some replacing to, but with very little rubber on it, it still goes like a beaut.

The repair center at Soetwater had piles of spare 26inch and road tyres, but not a single 29inch MTB tyre to be had. I guess it was just not meant to be lol... :thumbdown:

I was surprised by the number of MTB with punctures, I took 3 extra toobs for road bikes on my second lap to help people out, most people pushing flat tyres were MTB. I think its Karma punishing them for doing a road race on a MTB :P Managed to help 2 guys out with tubes and bombs on Sunday :D

Managed to get a broken chain 6km in and stopped to repair. Then it went again ... pushed back to the repairs table after expecting not to be able to finish .. lost 1 and a 1/2 hours but thankfully finished in time. A huge thanks to those repair tables. I was not the only one.

The repair center at Soetwater had piles of spare 26inch and road tyres, but not a single 29inch MTB tyre to be had. I guess it was just not meant to be lol... :thumbdown:

Erm, a road tyre is a 29 inch tyre.

there have been mtbs on the argus since as far back as i can remember.

funny thing is, the ones worth less than 10grand all seem to have slicks on them. The fancy ones like to ride with knobblies.

not sure what the point/message is

Erm, a road tyre is a 29 inch tyre.

Erm...but it's THIN...don't think you'll be able to infate it enought to fit a 29er MTB???

Erm...but it's THIN...don't think you'll be able to infate it enought to fit a 29er MTB???

I saw okes with road gatorskins on MTB.. not sure if gatorskin are made in MTB 29er rim size.

I was surprised by the number of MTB with punctures, I took 3 extra toobs for road bikes on my second lap to help people out, most people pushing flat tyres were MTB. I think its Karma punishing them for doing a road race on a MTB :P Managed to help 2 guys out with tubes and bombs on Sunday :D

pffft...second lap :P

I did chuckle...

there have been mtbs on the argus since as far back as i can remember.

funny thing is, the ones worth less than 10grand all seem to have slicks on them. The fancy ones like to ride with knobblies.

not sure what the point/message is

I would love to say it's all an image/vanity thing, but I think partly because most of the higher-end bikes would have a tubeless setup and cheaper bikes not.

Quick and easy to put slicks on when you use tubes, a bit of a schlep if you don't. I wouldn't mess with my tubeless setup just for an one-off road race.