Women's Specific vs Man's

LandyDell

Hi There, I am looking for a new bicycle but have, for the past year, had a women's specific bike. However, I've been told that it's not necessary to have a women's specific bike as the newer compact bikes are quite close to the measurements etc of a female bike. I'm quite tall (152cm ;-)) so my measurements need to be pretty damn close to each other, so to speak.

I hear lots of contradicting advise and really don't know whats the best call....compact (or other) male bike or a women's specific bike. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

At that height you will struggle to find any small bike that fits. My wife is 1.60 and can barely stand over the top tubes of her bikes. Go womans specific. Not a mens bike painted purple. Check the specialized, giant and Santa Cruz(Juliana) womans bike lineup. Make sure you can comfortably stand over the top tube with at least 2-4cm to spare. Would also a recommend 650b wheelsize bike for you.

I cant speak from experience or know how as I am not that clued up on bike sizing etc. I have however ridden with quite a few women who all ride men's frames and it doesn't seem to be an issue.

At that height you will struggle to find any small bike that fits. My wife is 1.60 and can barely stand over the top tubes of her bikes.

huh? my thirteen yr old daughter rides a small scott..and is quite comfortable on that

Do yourself a favour and go for a proper bike fitting before you buy anything. That will tell you exactly what you need in terms of sizing - and you could find those measurements in a ladies or mens bike in a particular brand. Ladies vs mens is a big generalisation. Not all men are equal; and not all ladies are equal.

This is advice from a man so purely theoretical :-)

Women tend to have longer leg to torso ration than men so a MANS bike that is the right height for a woman will be too long (normally resulting in an overly low, racy position - sore back and shoulders).

Woman specific bikes tend to be shorter and come with shorter stems, shorter reach bars and brakes with shorter reach (woman normally have smaller hands).

They also come with a woman specific saddle (shorter and wider to match the pelvic bones).

All that said - there seems to be a trend where the more competitive the lady the more likely she is to buy a mans bike.

Good luck with the purchase!

My wife is 155cm and her size Small Morewood Zula fits her perfectly with an inline seatpost, 70mm stem and 685mm riser bar. The only women's bikes she'll ride are from the Santa Cruz Juliana range, built up with nice components.

At that height you will struggle to find any small bike that fits. My wife is 1.60 and can barely stand over the top tubes of her bikes. Go womans specific. Not a mens bike painted purple. Check the specialized, giant and Santa Cruz(Juliana) womans bike lineup. Make sure you can comfortably stand over the top tube with at least 2-4cm to spare. Would also a recommend 650b wheelsize bike for you.

I had that problem with the men's bikes I tried out, the medium too big and a small too small, whereas the ladies bike in a medium was just right.

I would say check out the brands you like, compare the specs, and try it out, and least stand over it and check got top tube clearance (unlike what I did)

I've worked in bike shops for the past 5 years and womens specific is one thing I've never bought into. There is definitely a place for smaller bikes, most mens bikes only go down to small and this is often not small enough.

womens geometry is different though, its not just a case of making smaller bikes. often the top tube is a bit shorter than the equivalent mens size frame as well as having a different saddle and possibly narrower bars and shorter stem. there is no right or wrong, you need to find the bike that fits you best. this means not limiting yourself to one or the other.

for what its worth I've never ridden a womens bike or used a womens specific anything...

Edited by leona

huh? my thirteen yr old daughter rides a small scott..and is quite comfortable on that

With a name like stretch I guess your daughter might follow in your footsteps? :whistling:

My wife also has a Scott scale 29r and standover is very tight. Not super or safe, especially in an emergency dismount when you cannot decide where on the toptube you will standing over.

Funny thing is it seems the trailbikes have lower standover height, although they have more travel. I guess if you are 1.7m and above male bikes should be fine, otherwise go try them out. Make sure you can stand comfortably over the toptube with your feet in front of the pedal/crankset

The only issue I have with ws bikes is usually specs aren't great for cost, and the tacky colors and decals, seems like bike manufacturers think womens taste stop evolving at the age of 5.

The only issue I have with ws bikes is usually specs aren't great for cost, and the tacky colors and decals, seems like bike manufacturers think womens taste stop evolving at the age of 5.

Amen to that, flowers and bight turquoise and all that. Really?

oh bugger..so must i take the tassles and basket off my wife's bike?