Bike for commuting on trains

Cuppa Bru

I recently started going to work and back by train (MetroPlus) as Cape Town traffic sucks donkey dong.

Only problem is the 40 minute walk to the station and CBD side I need another 10 minutes to get to work.

Saw a guy with a fold-up bicycle on the train today and got thinking what's my best bet for a pedal ride I can take onto the train? So far thought of:

Unicycle (Crown Cycles have a nice-looking one for <R1k)

BMX bike (<R1k)

Fold-up bike (R?k)

The unicycle seems the most convenient and least likely to get stolen (unless I park it too close to the circus!).

BMX bike is small and hopefully cheap enough not to attract thieves.

Fold-up bikes are expensive and probably more likely to get stolen.

If you want a commuting Uni make it a 29er, 20" average 9 kmh i think the 29 would go around 15kmh and that is when you are just chill pedal. They are expensive check www.oddwheel.co.za.

Surely one needs to be proficient at riding a unicycle...? It's not just a matter of buying one and BOOM, problem solved... Probably the best in terms of theft prevention, but the worst in terms of how many sets of spare work clothes you'll need at your disposal. I'd fall my moer off in one of those.

Surely one needs to be proficient at riding a unicycle...? It's not just a matter of buying one and BOOM, problem solved...

This.

But unicyclists assure me it doesn't take as long as you think. Ya, right ;)

Edited by Nick.