FedGroup Itec signs Knox

Waynehans

The whispers in the wing that I heard where that Max was told he would get a spot on the Ghost international squad an as of the last time I checked he wasn't or had ever been put up on there site as a official sponsored rider. So it might be a case of empty promises?

I find it sad how most of the Pro riders here in SA chop and change between teams like they change their underwear, yes the riders have to take the opportunities that present themselves and do what they deem to be in their best interest but there seems to be no brand loyalty both with athletes and sponsors. Yes on the face of it everything seems to have ended amicably but the behind the scenes talk and politics with everyone throwing each other "under the bus" is killing the sport. Sponsors don't want to sponsor athletes because the get kicked in the teeth as the end of one season and obviously athletes aren't happy with there current situation be it that the grass may look greener on the other side or that they are not getting the support and backing they require? I think we need to take a leaf out of the overseas teams book and have sponsors make a long commitment to the sport ie. 10 years and do it to the best of their ability and on the other hand our riders need to stop being so fussy and a bit OCD, be happy you have a sponsor and a bike to ride. They for lack of a better way of putting it are way to serious and high strung always having an excuse as to why they didn't perform instead of just saying a better man won, suck it up and live to fight another day. Look at some of the European riders ie. Hermida, Fontana and the likes. A happy rider = a fast rider.

Rant over. :ph34r:

I reckon that sponsors are just as bad. Why sign a year sponsorship deal with a rider, it doesnt make him feel secure and much more prone to looking around for the next best thing as he only has 12 months of security. Sign a 3 - 5 year deal and hold him to that contract. Result, rider has security of tenure and can focus on what he does best (racing) and has no desire (or time) to look around. Sponsor has a legal document that ties him in for a period of time and doesnt have to worry about him jumping ship in December and they have to start again looking for a pro.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t think it was Max's decision to ride XC but rather Ghost SA and now a opportunity has come to go back to what he is obviously good at he took it.

Gotta love the MK/KE combination ...

The Epic just got real !! @FedGroupItec are going to be the ones to watch. With Rabie & Mac for backup .... Could the strategy be better ?!

Tweeted Max about 6 weeks ago about signing with Ghost,after riding a Spez and saying how awesome the bikes are,then he tweets back now after signing with Ghost and says ride the best. Very confused that he is now gonna be on a Trek,so now is this now gonna be the best bike as well?

Tweeted Max about 6 weeks ago about signing with Ghost,after riding a Spez and saying how awesome the bikes are,then he tweets back now after signing with Ghost and says ride the best. Very confused that he is now gonna be on a Trek,so now is this now gonna be the best bike as well?

What do you expect? The sponsor pays the rider to represent and market their brand and that is what they do. You can't go around biting the hand that feeds you by saying your sponsor/employer offers an inferior product.

Not attacking you but that was a really silly comment.

Edit in Italic

Edited by Helpmytrap

Max is on the hub so he can correct me if I'm wrong but here's my take

Max was cruising the local ultra scene without improving or making loads of money. Racing Transalp with Sauser was a eye opener considering the age gap and same happened again at Worlds. Max sat down and thought long & hard and decided to focus on XCO. I don't think things worked out as planned with XCO and when MTN Sabie came around he probably realized that he could race with the top guys. So when an opportunity presented itself he grabbed it. I think Max & Kevin is our best combination and will do well.

What do you expect? The sponsor pays the rider to represent and market their brand and that is what they do. You can't go around biting the hand that feeds you by saying your sponsor/employer offers an inferior product.

Edit in Italic

I think you were too kind. Children really shouldn't be allowed on the internet.

I thought Epic entries are limited?

For you and me they are :whistling:

See on Twitter this week, how many people have pulled out due to injury and so forth, so I think they plan for this. As are people on the waiting list, as I am, but I am not a high profile rider, so I will not be first choice...!!! :mellow:

Called a wildcard entry for registered UCI pro riders.

Actually, it happens when your teammate gets taken out by a car the week before the Epic, and a friend provides you with a contact of a team looking for an entry................

They are professional in their dealings with you, they reimburse you in full for your entry cost and don't haggle or try and squeeze you due to your situation, you both pay for the respective rider changes and the funds end up in your account by the end of the day.

All you can say is best of luck guys - I hope you have a successful Epic!!!!

Edit in Italic

Edit in Italic

Can't always blame sponsors either,in the end does his decision to change teams effect my life,NO,so I wish him well and hope he kicks some butt.

It's a great combination and the best one we have. Would be great if these guys can end up on the podium. Strong field though.

I do feel bad for Neil though. Being dropped to the "B-team" is probably not the best feeling in the world. He still is a class rider.

I also think Max and Kevin will make a very strong team, but the way this whole thing has played out ****!!!

First Brandon gets suspended for the whole testosterone issue, which means Neil gets a chance to ride the epic with Kevin. Then 5 days before the start of the race, Max decides to ditch his current sponsors if he can ride in the A team with Kevin...

Mind you, Johann Rabie had a bloody strong race last weekend so it is also not a bad pairing.

I also think Max and Kevin will make a very strong team, but the way this whole thing has played out ****!!!

First Brandon gets suspended for the whole testosterone issue, which means Neil gets a chance to ride the epic with Kevin. Then 5 days before the start of the race, Max decides to ditch his current sponsors if he can ride in the A team with Kevin...

Mind you, Johann Rabie had a bloody strong race last weekend so it is also not a bad pairing.

I personally hope that Johan and Neil ride the cr@p out of them. I'd be very DeMoerIn if it was me that got the news that I'm now the support rider.

IMHO I think they will be going for the African jersey and whatever else comes they will grab and be grateful for.

Probably the best stratergy anyway

good luck Kev and Max