Crank Length

ScottCM

Hi guys

Search skills didn't find anything on here about this so i hope it hasn't been discussed before, if so , sorry.

I am running a 172.5mm crank length on my bike, I am suffering from knee pain lately and i am wondering if it has to do with my crank arms.

My in-seam is roughly 882mm. Now i must admit i haven't gone for an ErgoFit fitment or anything like that before. I do want to go to one just dont know which one as Cajee in princess crossing is charging R400 and Cyclefit R750 or so. All i know is that Aaron Brown runs the CycleFit one, apart from that no idea in the differences between them.

My Web search has conflicting info about my crank length, some say 172.5mm is fine other sites say cause its for my MTB it needs to be 175mm and even one suggests it must be 180mm.

As both are pretty expensive i dont know which to do first, and if it is replace crank to what length.

Any and all advice from you experts will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

FWIW I went to Aaron Brown and was very happy with the service. I am 1.95 tall, no idea on the leg length but went to 175 mm cranks on a Giant Trance. Happy with the cranks but the feet do catch the ground every now and again as the BB on the trance sits quite low so that may be a consideration in your case.

Would it have made a difference if you went to him before changing the cranks, or would it have been better afterwards, i dont know exactly how the whole process works

I doubt that the small differences in crank length will cause knee pain. More likely to be cleat position or seatpost height. Go to Cyclefit or another reputable fitter.

I had knee pain recently and it was as a result of incorrect saddle position. I had Ergofit setup done. Knee pain has disappeared. BTW, I am 1.90m tall and use 1.75mm crank but I don't think this has anything to do with the knee pains as I have been riding with these cranks for years.

Hi guys

Search skills didn't find anything on here about this so i hope it hasn't been discussed before, if so , sorry.

I am running a 172.5mm crank length on my bike, I am suffering from knee pain lately and i am wondering if it has to do with my crank arms.

My in-seam is roughly 882mm. Now i must admit i haven't gone for an ErgoFit fitment or anything like that before. I do want to go to one just dont know which one as Cajee in princess crossing is charging R400 and Cyclefit R750 or so. All i know is that Aaron Brown runs the CycleFit one, apart from that no idea in the differences between them.

My Web search has conflicting info about my crank length, some say 172.5mm is fine other sites say cause its for my MTB it needs to be 175mm and even one suggests it must be 180mm.

As both are pretty expensive i dont know which to do first, and if it is replace crank to what length.

Any and all advice from you experts will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

Crank length? What makes you think its crank length...

Knee pain on one leg only or both?

Where is the pain

Have a look here

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/11/knee-pain/

I had knee pain recently and it was as a result of incorrect saddle position. I had Ergofit setup done. Knee pain has disappeared. BTW, I am 1.90m tall and use 1.75mm crank but I don't think this has anything to do with the knee pains as I have been riding with these cranks for years.

I am 1.89m tall

• 3 weeks later...

Saddle too far back?

Saddle too low?

Cadence too low too often?

Crank length very unlikely to create knee pain.

Go for that bike fitment session. Well worth it.

Saddle too far back?

Saddle too low?

Cadence too low too often?

Crank length very unlikely to create knee pain.

Go for that bike fitment session. Well worth it.

Thanks i have booked and paid for a session at CycleFit on the 27th April.