AmaShova 2014

Dazshell

For those with a bit of local PMB knowledge, how safe is it to take a ride from the start up the first climb to the Thornville turnoff, and back to town, on Saturday?

I'm talking about safety from the point of view of road conditions, width of yellow line area, local inhabitants etc.

I want to do a slow leg loosener after driving from Jhb, but don't want to be flattened or mugged in the process.

As this climb is on my normal training route and I ride it between 2/3 times a week I think I make the criteria. :whistling:

Road conditions are quite good, no potholes that I can think of off hand. Traffic is not terrible but does have a fair amount of taxies and trucks doing around 80-100kph. All the steep sections are double lane and the yellow shoulder is about 1m.

There is a township on the right of the climb so you will encounter some pedestrians walking into town, but have never had or heard of any issue.

Our local group will probably do that climb on Saturday as it is part of out normal loop 46kms just a easy 1h30min will be leaving at 05:00AM

Give me a shout if you want to join in we will have a backup vehicle.  

Edited by Spoke101

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our local group will probably do that climb on Saturday as it is part of out normal loop 46kms just a easy 1h30min will be leaving at 05:00AM

Give me a shout if you want to join in we will have a backup vehicle.  

Thanks, but I'm only getting into town around lunchtime. Need to loosen the legs after the long drive, or I'm really going to suffer Sunday morning.

Thanks, but I'm only getting into town around lunchtime. Need to loosen the legs after the long drive, or I'm really going to suffer Sunday morning.

There should still be other riders on the route to keep you company in the afternoon.

Does anybody have plans for a very early leg loosener on Saturday morning?

I'm an "out-of-towner" and would ideally like to do around 50-60kms. I'm staying at the Suncoast Towers but need to be back at the hotel around 07:30ish... 

Anyone using the bus transport service 04:45 from Durban to PMB?

I suggest you have a back up plan.

If the bus service is organised by the same people who have completely stuffed up the courier delivery of race packs ie. the race office, then I suspect you may be doing a warm up ride from Dbn to Pmb.

Those people couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery

If the bus service is organised by the same people who have completely stuffed up the courier delivery of race packs ie. the race office, then I suspect you may be doing a warm up ride from Dbn to Pmb.

Erm... This is not good news, I am up for a 5:45 bus ride...

ehh, my start is 06:50, so there is no room for errors here

ehh, my start is 06:50, so there is no room for errors here

lol, never did I think that I would be happy with a late start!  :eek:

I used the shuttle bus service last year, and will again this year. Everything went smoothly.

Very nice kit - is the top green and yellow or black and yellow? It might just be the lighting. Black would look epic! Green would look like the boks :D

It's Black and Yellow

The CMYK values are 0,0,0,100 (Black) and 0,0,100,0 (Yellow).

We thought about the luminous yellow that Tinkoff Saxo used at the Tour this year - but I'm glad we stuck with the process yellow instead, as the luminous is more green than yellow.

I used the shuttle bus service last year, and will again this year. Everything went smoothly.

It worked for me as well.

I am starting in F. Done my first Comrades this year and this is also my first Amashova. I am looking forward to the route on my bike!

I am starting in F. Done my first Comrades this year and this is also my first Amashova. I am looking forward to the route on my bike!

Cool. See you in F.