Mark your components...

Merlin

This serves as a cautionary message...

I gave a small, independent LBS a chance a few days ago and handed in my bike in order to have some worn parts changed. This was after a 'brand' had disappointed me with some work done prior. I collected it earlier today and quickly discovered that my derailleur had been stealthily changed out for an inferior one. Long story short, I stood by whilst my original one was refitted. This exercise cost me a master-link in a brand new chain, a weak link, so to speak, which is annoying me no end.

I am also of the opinion that the parts that I requested and paid for, are inferior and used items.

I have confronted the owner/techie about all of this; the enquiry is on-going.

I intend on checking the parts purchases with their supplier and will also seek out a second opinion on the fitted parts.

I am livid. In future, I will be allocating the time to effect all work on my bikes myself and will be only accept parts in their original packaging.

I am not giving out names, but please, check and mark ALL components on your bikes. You just never know...

Thats horrible dude. I hate having to absolutely check and double check absolutely everything these days, from your change at the till to your car after a service. Flippen ***. Luckily one thing I have is a reliable lbs, thank goodness, I cant tell you how awsome it is. In return for the great service I buy everything from them, even if its 5 Rand cheaper somewhere else. Mutual respect.

I keep hearing these tales of swopping out components ... one of the reasons I do all my own servicing and repairs these days apart from the damage that an incompetant bike mechanic can do. I've had Mavic Crossmax SLR rims gouged near the valve so that the valve no longer seals and caliper mount threads stripped on expensive forks... no way do my bikes go anywhere near an LBS these days.

And marking components is a good idea... I guess the value of high end stuff presents too much of a temptation to staff... who then possibly sell that stuff here in the classifieds!!

Edited by RichieT

UH, I'm still busy sorting out my bike and so far, the owner has been co-operative. I'm merely trying to caution others to be on the lookout, not start a flame war.

;) @ DJR.

Just seen, there's another thread active about the joys of another well known LBS damaging a fork...

Luckily I have an excellent relationship with my LBS, even though I do 95% of my own repairs and servicing they still help me out with advice ,part and spares. I take it this was a front derailleur as it isn't necessary to break the chain to exchange the rear one ....I'd go with learning to do as much as you can yourself even if you get someone to do a repair then you'll know what is BS and what is legit maintenance and replacement procedure.

Although I wasn't subjected to that, Mojoman, I can confirm that that is certainly a problem in the IT world as well, with high-priced parts.

howardsteele, it was indeed the front derailleur.

I am usually quite an independent chap and do most work myself. Circumstances forced me to go through a store at the moment. Frustration is not the word.

I find it to be such a joy and pleasure to take brand new components out of their boxes and packaging and then to fit them myself. I don't know, maybe I just love working with my hands. It's sort of therapy. While doing this I usually solve other tough problems in my head.

I'm building my tool kit so as to do more of my own maintenance. Had a similar issue recently where u I realised when I got home that all my old parts weren't returned to me after doing an upgrade. Parts were returned without question, thankfully. Gave the shop the benefit of the doubt that it was an oversight.

I find it to be such a joy and pleasure to take brand new components out of their boxes and packaging and then to fit them myself. I don't know, maybe I just love working with my hands. It's sort of therapy. While doing this I usually solve other tough problems in my head.

Yup, therapy that works, on the cheap too, and then you get to ride it! :thumbup: I simply don't see a down side at all. :)

What a crook, scaly people. Especially they were so deep in the poo they were forced to swop the part back on in front of you.

I'd say that calls for a name and shame - these kind of qualm less people do it over and over again, that they were caught this time just means they have to return the stolen part. Help a fellow cyclists and let them know who to avoid.

Here's my dilemma, Skylark...

1. I haven't yet finished sorting this out. I want to get a second, professional opinion on some of the other parts.

2. Although I knew that the derailleur had been swapped out; and I was then able to extract this info' from the owner/techie and have things corrected, to what extent would it need to be proven in the public domain to preclude myself from coming off in a negative light as a potential slanderer. I would like my bike sorted, but in so far as "naming & shaming", I simply have far too much else on my plate to deal with at present to take on the prospect of defending myself. I don't like it, but I also have to be rational about the bigger picture.