Do you use a road helmet for mtb ? (XC, marathon)

RoboLuke

So what is the difference between a road helmet and a mtb helmet?

Mtb helmets have a little visor.

Is that it?

With road bikes your speed is higher...so maybe ventilation less important considering that the speed will ensure air throughput?

I asume that when you refer to MTB you are excluding downhill and the full face helmets.

Besides the visor MTB helmets often have more protection at the back of the head and the size and shapes of the venst are different to promote airflow at lower speeds. The road helmet vents aid airflow at higher speeds.

I have a white one. No visor...... my asumption is that will make it a road helmet.

I wear it on both mtb and road bikes. But the hardcore downhillers en technical singletrack junkies will say that I anyway ride road on both. :)

No difference. I only ride road

helmets, mtb and road. Mtb peaks are a waste of time.

I remember when I bought my first helmet years back, the saleslady told me to buy a road helmet. I told her I only do mtb, she then proceeded to tell me all the pros wear road helmets on mtb and I will look like a pro aswell. But ja, since then road helmets do seem lighter and offer more airflow.

I remember when I bought my first helmet years back, the saleslady told me to buy a road helmet. I told her I only do mtb, she then proceeded to tell me all the pros wear road helmets on mtb and I will look like a pro aswell. But ja, since then road helmets do seem lighter and offer more airflow.

She lied. I wear a road helmet and I dont look like a pro.

I takes more than a helmet ........ :)

She lied. I wear a road helmet and I dont look like a pro.

I takes more than a helmet ........ :)

I can pull off the look if I try really hard :ph34r: . But within the first 150 metres of the race they will realize I am a poser. Just shows you what kind of influence sales people can have on newbies. Edited by Johny Bravo

I can pull off the look if I try really hard :ph34r: . But within the first 150 metres of the race they will realize I am a poser. Just shows you what kind of influence sales people can have on newbies.

At least you look the part :whistling:

Ja on that point..what is the purpose of the visor meant to be? I know its handy if its rainy

Ja on that point..what is the purpose of the visor meant to be? I know its handy if its rainy

I hope that was a joke....

Bell sweep on the road and Giro XAR for the mtb.

Mtb helmet is a little heavier and have increased rear coverage for more risky trail rides.