Steepest hills thread??

Mads

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very keen to ride Hans se Kop above Sir Lowry's pass.

Can anyone link a 3D Veloviewer segment for it? I tried to, but I seem to only be able to do it for segments I've ridden myself. 

Wonder if it's still possible to ride it since someone mentioned they haven't been any attempts in 2018 according to Strava.

https://veloviewer.com/segments/3245674

There's been 79 people who have gone up there so far in 2018, so not sure where the 'no attempts this year' came from...

Think this is the longest climb in SA:

https://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Col=Du-toits-kloof-pass-extension&qryMountainID=15802

Take a left at the top of Du Toits, scale the biggest gate you'll ever see (wrapped in barb wire), and there is a 5km climb to the Telkom tower at the top.  Probably the closest thing to an Alpine climb we have.  Narrow tar road, super steep switchbacks, obviously no traffic.  Fantastic views.

Average gradient is 9%, but that is a bit misleading as there are two short flat/downhills sections which reduces the average somewhat.

• 2 years later...

post-26961-0-17819200-1609958291_thumb.jpegThis little monster surprised me recently.First time i rode this road and i suspected i was at the wrong place at the wrong time when everybody coming down had something to say while cautiously controlling their cars down the steep gravel road.I used my garmin fenix 6x and edge 830 .Both measured the average as 13.1% .At 1.4km long it was a serious effort.Worst was that it was a really hot 11h00 am morning in Wilderness .According to both GPS units the steepest section topped at 19.6 % .Needles to say i stopped a few times and walked a section where i could not keep my front wheel down 

Edited by arendoog

Rode top mast the other day and found it to be a wonderful outing. Strava gives the average grade of the tar climnb, anyone know what the steepest pitches are?

Both climbs within 3km of our home (Belgium), these are 2x of the gnarliest climbs that I have ever encountered.

They're always incorporated into the Flanders Classics races and the Moskesstraat climb is the climb where Matthieu van der Poel truly showed the world in 2019 exactly how devastating he can be.

See below some of the climb profiles - do yourself a favour and google both as well to see what ugly (yet incredible) suffer fest they both provide, especially the Moskesstraat climb that is horrible and super slippery cobblestones.

The smeysberg climb reaches a max gradient of 17% - absolutely atrocious yet such an incredible feeling every time.:)

post-31951-0-84991600-1609965344_thumb.png

post-31951-0-40712900-1609965354_thumb.png

Basing comparisons on Strava, which clamps routes to smoothed DEM's or uses uncalibrated barometer readings :ph34r:

Also pointless, there is a climb on a cycle route out of a kloof in a race in March, I still have not seen anyone manage to cycle it. Pretty sure it is steeper than the above mentioned but it is pointless as you can't actually ride up it.