The Trail Running Thread

Weight Weenie

Any good events that are between 12-20km?

I've had a look and found the spur series which looks pretty cool

Pelinduna 5/10/21km next weekend,

Spur series #1 5/12km on 8 June

Spur series #2 plus Trail XL 21km on 15 June

Magaliesburg Challenge 10/20km on 16 August

Merrel 5/8km Delta night run on 21 August

Merrel 5/12km Walter Sisulu Gardens run on 24 August

That's what I have in my calendar so far.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the same boat as most other guys here. If I ride once a week now it's a lot and it's the only day I don't run.

My Pegasus 29s, which have a 12mm heel-toe drop, have clocked up around 1500km now and are being retired for a pair of these, which sport a 9mm drop. I'm taking the transition slow:

http://a3.zassets.com/images/z/1/8/7/9/6/2/1879622-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

I heard that at the warrior races the inov8s go for R800...

I heard that at the warrior races the inov8s go for R800...

Seriously? That's a good deal. These are R1200 at Cape Multi.

I've seen the trail running boys train on table mountain near Rhodes mem - dunno who they are but those guys move like mountain goats (ie FAST) :eek:

Seriously? That's a good deal. These are R1200 at Cape Multi.

Yea, I'm not sure if they have all the models but I reccon it's worth a look. There is a race at harties this weekend I think. The only reason I bought the addidas is cause I could not find a pair of inov8's to size and I cant go to harties this weekend...

I'm considering the run, how is it in terms of amount of technical trail and singletrack and ascent?

The more of that the better for me.

The route starts of through the citrus orchards then a bit of a technical section through large rock section heading through a tunnel under the road where the race goes up the mountain behind omaramba resort.At the top is jeep tracks around a dam and to the decent comming down to the cell phone tower.After this it follows the same route past Buffelspoort dam as the magalies monster back to ATKV resort.Check out website for route and profile.Cheers

The route starts of through the citrus orchards then a bit of a technical section through large rock section heading through a tunnel under the road where the race goes up the mountain behind omaramba resort.At the top is jeep tracks around a dam and to the decent comming down to the cell phone tower.After this it follows the same route past Buffelspoort dam as the magalies monster back to ATKV resort.Check out website for route and profile.Cheers

Thanks will have a look.

Bit of a rant - I'm keen on the longer runs as there's nothing decent in Gauteng on the shorter side, but then again you realise this means going all over SA, mainly to the Cape, as GP has about buggerall races I can use to train for the Otter sans the Crazy Store 35k.

Don't see the point of R150 a pop for 10k at a venue I can run when I want for R30 or such. Irks me a bit, but I guess there are loads of people that do it casually or are new to trail that enjoy it or don't know better.

Bit of a rant - I'm keen on the longer runs as there's nothing decent in Gauteng on the shorter side, but then again you realise this means going all over SA, mainly to the Cape, as GP has about buggerall races I can use to train for the Otter sans the Crazy Store 35k.

Don't see the point of R150 a pop for 10k at a venue I can run when I want for R30 or such. Irks me a bit, but I guess there are loads of people that do it casually or are new to trail that enjoy it or don't know better.

What about Van Galens? That Cradle Mahem thing looks good...

I feel the same as you regarding the places where they do events in Pta/Jhb area. Why pay R100 - R200 when you can go run/ride there for a fraction of the price.

Will also be doing the Retto this year. Will start the training after the Sani.

I really want to start... But do i need special trail shoes or will my nike road running shoes work?

Have to agree with this, even the shorter events are at least a 60 min drive and are costly to enter (relative to the cost of running in Groenkloof). I decided that I will however do some of the events if i can convince some mates to join as this will add a social element to it

Pieter - I've done it twice and with the move back to Van Gaalen's I can recommend it to anyone.

However having done the route and it's only about 500m odd of climbing it doesn't help my prep enough to fork out the cash for the race, can rather go run there and do repeats of pofadder or such crazyness :cursing:

Pointer - PM me after Sani so we can do a bit of training together.

Raab - we must go for a trot as well, always looking for running buddies.

Robo - Road shoes are fine for a start till you know you like it. Untill you do the long and technical stuff you can get away with road shoes unless it's really wet out.

Might try do Valley of a 1000 hills in July and Platinum run on the 25th this month, but it's on my bday so dunno. Def in for Crazy Store Magalies. The Diamond Dash used to be the best 20k in GP, but the new venue is no where near as mountainous or technical so dissappointed with the last race, hope they change the route. Anyone have an idea if the long routes at SBR are still open? Used to be huts and like 65k of trail according to the old maps.

Shoe wise I like those NB1010v2's but the banana shape toe box doesn't work for me.

Been rocking the new Nike Wildhorse which I love. 4mm drop with some cush. Just wears a bit fast.

Those Adidas posted earlier, were they the Kanadia XC3?

Groenies rates are going up 1 July, so I'm aiming to get a year ticket before then.

Also looking for 2x 3 hour runs this weekend so shout if anyone is keen.

post-5905-0-79290300-1399633898_thumb.jpg

a 'friend' accused me of challenging him to Freedom Challenge last year and he finished it. He returned the favour by getting me a Puffer entry for August....the things we do.

Pieter - I've done it twice and with the move back to Van Gaalen's I can recommend it to anyone.

However having done the route and it's only about 500m odd of climbing it doesn't help my prep enough to fork out the cash for the race, can rather go run there and do repeats of pofadder or such crazyness :cursing:

Pointer - PM me after Sani so we can do a bit of training together.

Raab - we must go for a trot as well, always looking for running buddies.

Robo - Road shoes are fine for a start till you know you like it. Untill you do the long and technical stuff you can get away with road shoes unless it's really wet out.

Might try do Valley of a 1000 hills in July and Platinum run on the 25th this month, but it's on my bday so dunno. Def in for Crazy Store Magalies. The Diamond Dash used to be the best 20k in GP, but the new venue is no where near as mountainous or technical so dissappointed with the last race, hope they change the route. Anyone have an idea if the long routes at SBR are still open? Used to be huts and like 65k of trail according to the old maps.

Shoe wise I like those NB1010v2's but the banana shape toe box doesn't work for me.

Been rocking the new Nike Wildhorse which I love. 4mm drop with some cush. Just wears a bit fast.

Those Adidas posted earlier, were they the Kanadia XC3?

Groenies rates are going up 1 July, so I'm aiming to get a year ticket before then.

Also looking for 2x 3 hour runs this weekend so shout if anyone is keen.

Ja you might have to give me a few months to get anywhere close to your level of fitness but you never know, we might bump into each other at Groenies and Moreleta.

Those Adidas are the Kanadia XC 2's if I am not mistaken.

What are the yearly rates and can I buy a ticket at the entrance?

Thanks