The Trail Running Thread

Weight Weenie

I'm not one for these short races to be honest. R160 or so entry plus travel time and cost for such a short race and then it's buffed out trails don't interest me.  Rather put my Groenies ticket to work ;)

you know there is a 20k option? or is that to short for you?

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you know there is a 20k option? or is that to short for you?

I know and 20 is good, but at Avianto I'm doubtful I'll enjoy the trails. Been disappointed by most of these trail race routes ending being a dirt road run. But I stand to be corrected so let me know how they are. 

Hey Guys.

New to this thread but here is my story.

First born son arrived last September so havnt been able or willing to devote my normal amount of time to training on the MTB. Searching for some early 2015 motivation I entered Xterra Full distance which Im hoping will be awesome next weekend. During this training phase, really enjoyed the running and more recently proper trail running. (I can go run for an hour and get a proper workout, same as 3 hours plus on the bike so its a win win for me at the monent) Im keen on trying out some trail races in and around the Jozzi area for the first half of this year, and then my boy, wife and motivation will dictate what i focus on for the rest of 2015.

Any clues where is the best place to search for races and events as the google machine seems to be focused on Western Cape (or at least that's what I can find).

Cheers and hope to catch you on the trails!!

PS: Hero red route is a lekka 15 odd km run, not too technical but tough on the legs!!

Lekker man, it's raining a bit! At least not dusty trails for tomorrow's Resolution run at Delvera! 

Holy cow - are you guys having to pay 160 for short race up there?! 

Hey Guys.

New to this thread but here is my story.

First born son arrived last September so havnt been able or willing to devote my normal amount of time to training on the MTB. Searching for some early 2015 motivation I entered Xterra Full distance which Im hoping will be awesome next weekend. During this training phase, really enjoyed the running and more recently proper trail running. (I can go run for an hour and get a proper workout, same as 3 hours plus on the bike so its a win win for me at the monent) Im keen on trying out some trail races in and around the Jozzi area for the first half of this year, and then my boy, wife and motivation will dictate what i focus on for the rest of 2015.

Any clues where is the best place to search for races and events as the google machine seems to be focused on Western Cape (or at least that's what I can find).

Cheers and hope to catch you on the trails!!

PS: Hero red route is a lekka 15 odd km run, not too technical but tough on the legs!!

some websites for you:

www.wildtrail.co.za

www.ilumin8.co.za

www.entrytime.co.za

www.trailseries.co.za

www.trailrunning.co.za

if all else fails www.google.co.za

there is some more in winter in Gauteng, but for now they are few and far between.

Next one in Pretoria that I know of is the hedianga beast (15km the longest)

http://www.wildtrail.co.za/?p=2569

Lekker man, it's raining a bit! At least not dusty trails for tomorrow's Resolution run at Delvera! 

Holy cow - are you guys having to pay 160 for short race up there?!

Yup, not so many options as you Capies have there

some websites for you:

www.wildtrail.co.za

www.ilumin8.co.za

www.entrytime.co.za

www.trailseries.co.za

www.trailrunning.co.za

if all else fails www.google.co.za

there is some more in winter in Gauteng, but for now they are few and far between.

Next one in Pretoria that I know of is the hedianga beast (15km the longest)

http://www.wildtrail.co.za/?p=2569

Thanks, I recon that should be enough to get me going.

Howzit Guys,

Keen on following this thread a little closer.

Did my first trail run at Giba this past Wednesday! Just shy of 10km's - had a blast and enjoyed it!

Two days after centre arches under my feet still so very sore, why?

Ran in Salomon's - so probably right shoes... 

Never get this sore from running on the road which I do probably twice a week.

Thanks Guys!

Salomon XT wings did the same to me, they have anti-pronation skeleton in the shoe (or something like that).

did not experience it sofar with the speedcross

<script language='javascript'> </script>

Howzit Guys,

Keen on following this thread a little closer.

Did my first trail run at Giba this past Wednesday! Just shy of 10km's - had a blast and enjoyed it!

Two days after centre arches under my feet still so very sore, why?

Ran in Salomon's - so probably right shoes... 

Never get this sore from running on the road which I do probably twice a week.

Thanks Guys!

It all depends on the terrain and how your feet land on the terrain.  If there are rocky sections and you start to land on the arch of your foot on these rocks (could start to happen as you become fatigued) you might have some light bruising, the Salomons do not have a rockplate in them.  always try to run 'light' on you feet

In my limited experience - it may also be exactly what Raab is suggesting - that you're "forced to" run a bit more front-foot than on road, esp if it was a bit more technical and you use the muscles more than you're used to, esp if there was some lateral jumping about, etc.

What a brilliant 20k run this morning through Avianto and Phambili (my garmin measured 20.6).

Really lekker route which was well marked. Predominantly all single track with a very small section next to the tar connecting the two venues.

I hear Thabang smoked the 20k.

Yip, finished in 1:17  :eek:

2nd placed guy in 1:30 and the 3rd in 1:34