The Trail Running Thread

Weight Weenie

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Loskop 21km trailrun over the weekend. Actually a tough race, one heck of a 2km climb in the first 10km

Overall very nice race, can recommend it

Loved the Dirty Double last year, was myfirst attempt at any running. Went for the jol and... had a jol! Was so much fun to do some of the Welvanpas singles in reverse as well.

The Mitchell's guys knew us from a distance towards the end... :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Have you Hubbers heard of the Table Mountain FKT? Its a 16km route over Table Mountain with some 1200m of climbing! If you like trail mountain running, excellent scenery and extreme amounts of pain I would highly recommend this.

I completed my first attempt two days ago and I still can't walk normal. Up till now I've never done more than 15km or more than 500m of climbing, so this was quite hectic! But, I'll be back to do it again!

http://rbfkt.clickshape.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/ryanclimbing.jpgPro-athlete, Ryan Sandes promoting the Table Mountain FKT challenge.

http://image1.redbull.com/rbcom/010/2015-03-27/1331713658657_3/0010/1/1200/800/3/sandes-plays-in-his-version-of-a-backyard-sandbox.jpg

http://image2.redbull.com/rbcom/010/2015-03-27/1331713658121_2/0010/1/800/533/2/ryan-sandes-sets-an-fkt-on-table-mountian.jpg

Edit: more photos!

I did this today. Was a perfect day on the mountain! I've run all the trails before, but never linked them like this. It makes for an awesome route!

If you run, this should be on your to do list! I hate to say it, but I'd rather run this route than ride my mtb...

Has anyone done the FNB Platinum run at magalies? Any tips, thinking about the 24k?

I used to go trail running or biking at Voortrekker monument on Friday afternoons.

Now with the issues there, I now do my afternoon trailrun at moreletta reserve.

Really nice 10km you can do there if you do 2 laps in opposite directions.

I was wondering, how do you guys cope with hydration? On a normal training day 7~12 km I don't bother with hydration, with longer-runs / races I usually take some water / gels with.

Now the problem is, I'm really afraid of stitches. I ran a 2h30 race yesterday where I drank about 250 ml of fluid in total. Is this normal?

Keep in mind that I haven't really done 3h+ races where hydration becomes crucial...

250ml for a 2:30 run - and a race at that?! Goodness...

Koei should be renamed Kameel.  :eek: Otherwise I just drink like a sponge.

<script language='javascript'> </script>

I used to go trail running or biking at Voortrekker monument on Friday afternoons.

Now with the issues there, I now do my afternoon trailrun at moreletta reserve.

Really nice 10km you can do there if you do 2 laps in opposite directions.

Same here, ran there on Sat again

FYI 2 people were tied up and mugged on the Groenkloof Yellow Route on Sunday so best to avoid for now.  Run that route most Sunday afternoons alone and the last time about 2 weeks back I found myself more looking around for thugs than relaxing and enjoying it, which is a sad state of affairs.  

<script language='javascript'> </script>

Same here, ran there on Sat again

I run there a lot as well, we should organise one together.  Hopefully the unwanted elements stay out there.  Fastest I've clocked for the outside loop sign to sign is about 24:17 I think, what have you guys run? 

I was wondering, how do you guys cope with hydration? On a normal training day 7~12 km I don't bother with hydration, with longer-runs / races I usually take some water / gels with.

Now the problem is, I'm really afraid of stitches. I ran a 2h30 race yesterday where I drank about 250 ml of fluid in total. Is this normal?

Keep in mind that I haven't really done 3h+ races where hydration becomes crucial...

Just like training you can get used to it so train yourself for longer events. Me well I drink loads, sip every 5 minutes about.  Can do 250ml on a single lap of Kloof.  So I always carry a pack or the Sense set on my hand with h2o etc.  

Seems I've gotten myself a bit of a stress fracture in my shin, any recommendations of where to go in PTA to check it out.? 

I tend to drink almost nothing also 2l is more than enough for me on a 3h run.

I run there a lot as well, we should organise one together.  Hopefully the unwanted elements stay out there.  Fastest I've clocked for the outside loop sign to sign is about 24:17 I think, what have you guys run?

Then you have the strava CR on the route, Francois, it is?

I plan to take it from you in the next two weeks, keep an eye out for the dear John letter from Strava

I only ran it twice sofar, best is 28.50, but that was including a nature stop and taking a pic of a huge tortoise.

Now that the voortrekker monument has some issues, I want to run there Friday afternoons. I usually knock of at work around 2 on Fridays, so are there at 3. Welcome to join if you want

Hey Guys,

Just a reminder that there is a TR this Sunday at Bronkhorspruit area on Sunday - check out

www.myroadlesstraveled.co.za

We will be attending the water point at the finish so come say hi.

Also next weekend at the Madidaba lodge - TR or MTB

See you out there!!!!

post-15180-0-26931500-1430894264_thumb.jpg