The Trail Running Thread

Weight Weenie

Anybody else doing the TaalMonument run this weekend? Part of the Spur Winter Series. Entered on a whim for the longer one (appr 14k), will just go for the jol, since it's close to TB and will still go for a lekker ride on Saturday.

Edited by SeaBee

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi SeaBee. i'll join u in Paarl for the Long one- Starting in Batch C

Ja, same here... no idea what to expect, but will have to drop in a while before the start to collect numbers, I presume. Do they start in batches with a gap between - or just "deeper in from the start-line" type seeding and everybody goes off together?

Seeded myself in C and will see what happens from there - my first (and only) of the series, so if I seeded myself incorrectly, I will learn from it! If it's too low a seeding, at least the first couple of k's are open. Not expecting much ito times, just running to be running. 

I've done the first two in the series and it has been super fun (and challenging) so far. I'm looking forward to the Paarl one!

On the seeding. The groups start 2 min appart. It is just to sort out the singletrack congestion issue as per MTBing (but trail runners have way more decency in my experience anyways...)

Have a look at the trail results from #1 (Paul Cluver) and #2 (Tygerberg) to estimate seeding/ranking. The C-batch is a good starting point for first timers.

Did any of you watch that runing wild thing on Animal planet last night. Not quite trail runing but looks like a cool ofroad marathon. In some reserve in Kenya.

Nope, will look out for it. Did watch that Trail tv, featuring the Addo run and some race in Germany. From guys running topless to snow gear in the blink of an eye! Addo looks a beautiful area, never been there.

Nope, will look out for it. Did watch that Trail tv, featuring the Addo run and some race in Germany. From guys running topless to snow gear in the blink of an eye! Addo looks a beautiful area, never been there.

Crazy stuff!! Addo does look awesome!

Paarl is temping me, but I've already done a couple of races this month (Bastille, Delheim)..

Anyway, entered the dirty double in Wellington in August. 10km trail run then 25km on the bike. Looking forward to it!

Also entered for that - gonna be kick-azz! Did it last year as well, which was my first "run" ever!

I reaaaally hope the Mitchells guys will be back...  :ph34r: 

Paarl is temping me, but I've already done a couple of races this month (Bastille, Delheim)..

Anyway, entered the dirty double in Wellington in August. 10km trail run then 25km on the bike. Looking forward to it!

Oohh thanks for the info...looks awesome!

Had a lot of fun today at Paarl - especially that last downhill! Felt a lot better than last week. Excellent weather and generally awesome atmosphere from everyone!

Was heading home via Helshoogte. For a moment I was jealous of all the riders - until I saw the pile up on the singletrack descent / switchbacks... :huh:

Was a great run, wasn't it?! Really enjoyed it and the general vibe. 

I may get ahead of myself, but next time I'll seed myself in B. Even in a relaxed state of mind (fortunately!) the congestion got to me. And there I was thinking I'm cautious running downhills. And some girls in front having a lekker chat whilst strolling up the stairway, bugger anybody behind them...

Haha, my biggest "moment" was on the last bit of that final stretch down to the TM. Had a huge slide on one of those mossed clay banks, kept upright by pushing against the fencing on the inside. (Later on thought that if a finger went through a hole it would have been rather bloody painful with the speed we were going at!) 

Great fun, I'm looking forward to La Capra (Fairview) now... Well, first I must survive the Cape Town Peace trail.  :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Weight Weenie, on 05 May 2015 - 8:40 PM, said:snapback.png

I run there a lot as well, we should organise one together.  Hopefully the unwanted elements stay out there.  Fastest I've clocked for the outside loop sign to sign is about 24:17 I think, what have you guys run?

Then you have the strava CR on the route, Francois, it is?

I plan to take it from you in the next two weeks, keep an eye out for the dear John letter from Strava

I only ran it twice sofar, best is 28.50, but that was including a nature stop and taking a pic of a huge tortoise.

Now that the voortrekker monument has some issues, I want to run there Friday afternoons. I usually knock of at work around 2 on Fridays, so are there at 3. Welcome to join if you want

Told you so, rather late than never. 23.55

Edited by RABUBI