The Trail Running Thread

Weight Weenie

Does anyone know of some trails around Haarties? 

I know there is a downhill bike trail around the cablecar, can you run that (obv not the exact same one you'll be killed instantly...) or near that too? (I say the cablecar because also its not a million miles away, while places like buffelspoort side are a bit too far a drive to make often)

I'm thinking of adding some lekker ascent into some runs, and heading up and down the side of that ridge thing seems legit. 

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know of some trails around Haarties? 

I know there is a downhill bike trail around the cablecar, can you run that (obv not the exact same one you'll be killed instantly...) or near that too? (I say the cablecar because also its not a million miles away, while places like buffelspoort side are a bit too far a drive to make often)

I'm thinking of adding some lekker ascent into some runs, and heading up and down the side of that ridge thing seems legit. 

There is a lot the other end of the dam. I know that the guys run the ridge a fair amount, but I am always nervous of the access and trespassing. A lot of the guys run sections of the van Gaalens trails( pofadder, concrete strips etc) that will give you good elevation. B'Sorah also has some elevation.

Also not sure about the access to the wolfpack loop, that is a rough route, a few laps there and you will certainly know you have run.

There are a lot of good local trail runners there.

Some advice please from ma running peeps.

I have been taking my road running a little more seriously the last while. I have a goal of 1,000km this calendar year. This may not be much for some of you, but for my short arse its huge.

I am averaging about 20-30km a week at a pace around 5m15seconds per km. 

I am at a point of running a 21km on 2 hours. 

The reason for the post is that I live in a beautiful part of the world with so many trails and am contemplating adding trail running to my regime. I will still focus mostly on road running for the convenience of just putting on my shoes and heading out the door, but maybe two or three times a month doing a longer trail run.

Any advice?

I am nervous that the trail running will have an adverse effect on my pace for road running. 

Also, I have always considered the 5m30/km mark to be a good pace for a social runner, what is a good pace to work towards for trail running?

I have been taking my road running a little more seriously the last while. I have a goal of 1,000km this calendar year. This may not be much for some of you, but for my short arse its huge.

The reason for the post is that I live in a beautiful part of the world with so many trails and am contemplating adding trail running to my regime. I will still focus mostly on road running for the convenience of just putting on my shoes and heading out the door, but maybe two or three times a month doing a longer trail run.

Any advice?

I am nervous that the trail running will have an adverse effect on my pace for road running. 

Also, I have always considered the 5m30/km mark to be a good pace for a social runner, what is a good pace to work towards for trail running?

I can only answer from a non-speed-seeking perspective. 

Firstly - there is no 'good' pace in general trail running. Its obvious but it should probably be said. You could run a barely-dirt path 2 metres wide and pan-flat, or you could scramble up an overgrown side of a cliff. Speeds are very relative - same for road to an extent but much much more evident on trail.(I've often read that trail training is usually better measured in time rather than distance for this reason)

If you use trail as your long slow day, you can forget about pace anyway (right?) and just look around you. You do live in a spectacular country and I'm sad you're not permanently on the trails... I'm sure it'll make your legs/ calves/ ankles stronger for switching terrain, but then if you keep up the speed work elsewhere (again this is far from my wheelhouse) surely it won't affect your road pace.

Any advice?

Hi Wayne

Awesome to see that the running bug has bitten!

I am certainly no pro, but I do run quite a lot and have done for 20 odd years.

I can assure you that trail running once or twice a week will have absolutely no impact on your road running if you prioritise the road. It will likely be amazing training for you. If I were you and worried about 'pace', I would do 1 x structured 'fartlek' session or integrate a lamp post to lamp post (marker to marker if you have no lamp posts) into a road run.

This fast/slow will build your muscle memory re running at speed.

I would also look at doing a 5km time trial once a fortnight just for fun. It is great to see progress on the same course.

I run a 21km in roughly 90 to 95 minutes and run on (what is considered technical but I see as normal) Cape Town trails at between 7 and 8 mins per km for equivalent distances. The Drakensberg and more open/jeep track areas are of course easier to move and less picky.

Again, just me, I wouldn't worry about the pace while trail running. Enjoy the views and concentrate on not twisting your ankle. See it as good base miles. 

I am the opposite of you. I traditionally do about 10 road runs a year. 2 marathons, Two Oceans and a hand full of pre marathon/oceans runs to see if my shoes are ok.

Trail running/ultra distance stuff has severely impacted my speed, but I honestly don't really care. I can sneak home in 3:40ish and generally avoid a blue medal at Oceans so I am happy.

I am lucky in that I strap on my trail shoes, put the harness on the dog and hit the mountain roughly 1km from my front door.

Do it.

I do about 90:10 trail:road running. Don't worry about too much about adverse effects. Worst case scenario you may lose your top speed but endurance wise you should only expect improvement. Luckily I live real close to the mountains so I don't have much need for road running: I mostly reserve it for speed workouts.

As for speed: there's no real answer. My speed varies to about 10s/km slower on farm roads to 7min/km slower on top of the mountain. I can tell you alot about what to expect in the WC area.

Btw my 5km and 10km PBs are all set on trail runs...

It had to happen eventually.... carbon fibre enters trail running shoes

The North Face Vectiv

https://www.thenorthface.com/vectiv

Slab Sense has had carbon rock plates in the shoes for a while if I am not wrong. But reality is, the gain on trail will not be as much on tar...

Any advice?

Running is running. Trail will give you better calves and stability o tar. It may not convert to pace but it may also reduce body stress and lower injury risk. I find when I have been hammering tech trails and go back to tar then climbing while running is easier.

I would add some structured runs and hill work, the pace will go up(faster) slowly but surely.

Running also seems to be more brutal in giving you hard stops at your bodies limits and then it takes a fair amount of work from there to keep going faster(or maybe it is my age starting to play games) I have always been a fairly natural runner but the faster you go the harder it is to go faster.

So the solution is just to go out and enjoy running... Let your legs loose and flow,

One thing is for certain. Trail will lead to stronger ankles and better proprioception.

Your ankles will learn to bend in every which way without complaint.

Thanks chaps.

Now, an even more difficult question...shoes.

I currently run in Nike Zoom Fly 3s on the road and LOVE them.

I have a set of Nike zoom pegasus trail vortex that I use for longer walks.

Any suggestions? Have been reading some good reviews about Hokas.

I would also look at doing a 5km time trial once a fortnight just for fun. It is great to see progress on the same course.

There is nothing "fun" about time trials... Nearly vomited on myself on Wednesday  :wacko:

Did set a new 5k PB though  :clap:  :clap:

Thanks chaps.

Why not for running? I'd think it would be best to stick to the same brand if it works so well in the road shoe. Or at least it should be your first to test out.

I have wide feet so Altra have been a gamechanger for me. I don't see myself ever in anything else, both road and trail. (as long as they don't drastically change their shape/lasts)

I did though have Hokas pre-Altra. They initially worked well for width but each subsequent model seemed narrower (and more rigid which as it turns out started throwing my gait out and giving issues).

Thanks chaps.

Since you are used to Nike's, and seem to like them, I can definitely recommend the Nike Wildhorse range for trail running.  They will work for everything except the most slippery conditions...

In fact, I like them so much I'm on my 4th pair (started using them with the Wildhorse 3 model and am currently on the Wildhorse 6)

Edited by Myth

Thanks chaps.

I have run in most brands, did 120km at KK100 in my Nike Pegasus Trail shoes and honestly they are my go to shoes at the moment. So if they similar to your road shoes just go for it.

The Nikes are a bit tired now. Also, they are pretty hard when I run.

So I am thinking of a slightly softer shoe? Also because I bought the Nikes as a walking shoe, I did not size up. It’s unlikely they will be good for anything over 10km distances when my chubby hobbit feet start swelling.

Plus...new running shoes are like new bikes. Always a good idea.

There is a local shop here that seems to be well regarded in trail running circles. I might head out that way for a chat and some fittings. But always keen for unbiased hub advice.

Have also been looking into hydration vests. On the road, I normally only need water at about 14km which is at about the 80minute Mark. I guess the trail would be the same?

This seems to get pretty good reviews.

https://salomon.co.nz/products/adv-skin-12-set-unisex?variant=34487388799127

Trail shoes do generally feel 'harder' as they need to protect your feet a bit more from sharp rocks and uneven surfaces, so they tend to have stiffer mid soles and more rubber.

You get used to it.

I'm also weary of 'sizing up' with a trail shoe. Your stride will be a lot less even with a heap of stop starts and punching the brakes which means you want a shoe that fits snuggly to avoid it sliding around. Having too much room up front also leads to tripping and the old 'slipparoo' and ankle twist when you step on uneven ground/hop across rocks and get it slightly wrong.

I see you mentioned Hokas... They tend to be a 'softer' trail shoe but I am weary of their longevity and narrow toe box. 

I do agree though, new shoes are ALWAYS a good idea and a heck of a lot cheaper than a new bike.... In fact these days, new shoes cost the same as new tires!