The Trail Running Thread

Weight Weenie

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a local shop here that seems to be well regarded in trail running circles. I might head out that way for a chat and some fittings. But always keen for unbiased hub advice.

Have also been looking into hydration vests. On the road, I normally only need water at about 14km which is at about the 80minute Mark. I guess the trail would be the same?

This seems to get pretty good reviews.

https://salomon.co.nz/products/adv-skin-12-set-unisex?variant=34487388799127

The Mountain Community in George would be where I'd shop in your Valley.

When you are there sommer look at the Naked range of running packs and belts.

I have a Naked belt and a Salomon 14L.

I use the belt and a 500ml soft bottle on most runs, and only when necessary do I use the backpack (usually when I pack a jersey or more than 500ml of water.)

I usually fill up when running. There are many streams around here.

Edited by PhilipV

Thanks for all the advice peeps.

I have decided to run int he Nike Pegasus 36 Trails until i get a feel for trail running a little more. I am also interested to discover what type of trails i start spending more of my time on and when the Nikes are finished, Ill buy a new shoe according to the terrain.

I pushed the button on the Salomon Adv Skin 12 hydration pack - it came up tops in several reviews and on many local trail running groups. 

I went out to a local hotspot for trail running on Saturday, but did a nice long walk with the kids to check it out, think I will go run it this weekend.

I have decided to run int he Nike Pegasus 36 Trails until i get a feel for trail running a little more. I am also interested to discover what type of trails i start spending more of my time on and when the Nikes are finished, Ill buy a new shoe according to the terrain.

I pushed the button on the Salomon Adv Skin 12 hydration pack - it came up tops in several reviews and on many local trail running groups.

I went out to a local hotspot for trail running on Saturday, but did a nice long walk with the kids to check it out, think I will go run it this weekend.

I also have the same Salomon bag.

I cried when I bought it but its probably been one of the best purchases ever.

Super comfortable even when it's fully loaded. I've done a few long runs in mine and you never even think about the bag.

With my Camelback I used to adjusted it every few minutes

• 3 weeks later...

Ha!

I have some coming in too.... I am excited

There is a bit of that 'rocker' feeling under the forefoot - which is new from the 4.0, but otherwise they look sleek, and the new midsole feels deliciously comfortable

There is a bit of that 'rocker' feeling under the forefoot - which is new from the 4.0, but otherwise they look sleek, and the new midsole feels deliciously comfortable

The new rock plate also looks rad.

I've been through 3 pairs of 4's, 2 pairs of 4.5's and 2 pairs of the Superiors since 2018 and ALL of them had the toe cap/sole thing delaminate.

I am so happy the 5 is stitched. 

The EGO midsole is supposed to be a bit like the BOOST foam from adidas, which is soft, supportive and really responsive. I always felt the Lone Peak could do with a slightly more responsive midsole (read the foam from the King MT) and I think they have delivered with the 5.

Having spent thousands of hours in all the Variants of the Lone Peaks, 1 to 4.5, I honestly don't think there is a better Ultra distance shoe and each one gets better than the last.

Hi Wayne, 

I swop around between Salomon Slabs, Nike Pegasus and Nike Wildhorse to mix it up and not get too used to a constant drop etc., (and also depending on the terrain/conditions).

In terms of weight the Nikes are definitely heavier and I can feel that on massive/steep climbs but the upside is that it is much easier on the legs.

That being said it took me around 100 km on the Pegasus before I got used to it on rocky terrain and went over a few ankles (which you get used to in trail running).  So just give it a bit of time.  Compared to the other 2 the Pegasus definitely "runs" easier.  I used it as weapon of choice for last year's Skyrun, it is certainly not an entry level shoe only.  On technical mountain runs with lots of elevation I usually take the lighter shoes.

Enjoy the trails, and like the other say, ignore the pace and don't feel bad to walk on uphills, everyone does it.

Lekker to see my thread is still going strong after so many years! 

Just a heads up to those in GP - Hedianga Farm is currently closed; apparently there is a leopard frequenting the area  :eek:

Cheers,

WW. 

• 3 weeks later...

We did a few nice runs in the Cedarberg last weekend.

Wow.... We're going there this weekend. But for a hike. Incredible part of the world.