The Trail Running Thread

Weight Weenie

(Now that Jewbacca has finished his mega run I can post this.)

What a crazy tragedy. 

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I am so glad I found this thread! Have never been a trail runner so I would like some guided opinion/thoughts/advice from those with more knowledge that me.

I was a road runner strictly. Helped me massively with health and weight loss. Typical story of a newbie at parkrun and how that progressed to half marathons. 2 half marathons in, I was diagnosed with lumbar spondylitis (similar to slipped disk but due to wear and tear/genetics) and unfortunately have not run for the last 2 years. I am having an epidural on Friday as my new treatment plan and I am hopeful that it will allow me to get back into running (even if I am limited to 5k/10k for the rest of my life, I would be immensely grateful).

Now, what got me to think of trail running was a mate of mine has recently started it (after being an ultra road runner) and he eluded to me that trail could be better as your foot striking is most often different vs running the on tar, a quick google search somewhat confirms this.

Basically what I am looking for is your opinion on trail running being better on the joints than road running, and what would you advise someone getting into trail running with no running base (fitness is relatively average. I attend strength, conditioning and endurance classes with a PT and cycle on the road often). I am not worried about speed at this point in time.

TIA   

1 hour ago, JuddMan said:

Basically what I am looking for is your opinion on trail running being better on the joints than road running, and what would you advise someone getting into trail running with no running base (fitness is relatively average. I attend strength, conditioning and endurance classes with a PT and cycle on the road often). I am not worried about speed at this point in time.

Yes, I also have that experience, I think it is due to a combination of different surfaces with steep gradients and other obstacles thrown into the mix resulting in the use of more muscle groups, spreading the loads, as opposed to a repetitive movement.  Also, the surfaces tend to be more forgiving and one also move quite a bit slower than on the road resulting in lower impacts.  

That being said, rolling an ankle and/or having a slip is inevitable, so you need to focus on ankle mobility and strengthening.  Ask your trainer to assist with that.  My 2 cents, find yourself a balance disc and stand on it with one leg for approximately 2mins at a time.  Even if it is just once a day.  As your balance gets better refrain from holding on to the wall and even start closing your eyes.  This will help with subconscious movements/adjustments as you run on uneven/unstable surfaces.

I would just get some trail shoes and start walking/gentle jogging on the trails.

Start off using the marble method. If the marble would roll towards you, walk. If it would roll away from you, jog.

Build strength from there and keep up the cross training/gym/mobility.

A balanced routine outweighs any real faddy focus.

I am however no coach and regard myself to be a passable hack, so take my advice with a pinch of salt.

Guys thanks very much for the replies, I appreciate it.

@L46 I actually have done those with the PT in the past, will ask to include more.

@Jewbacca sounds like a great idea. as much as you are an enthusiast, and not a coach, I do appreciate the comments. Luckily I have a trail around the corner from my house in a golf course so I can ply my trade to my hearts content there before needing to 'upgrade'.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, guidodg said:

9C360354-8D09-41DA-BDE8-6A7ABEFBC854.jpeg

29EB0108-0BD2-45C7-A1FF-9E39D8E7BC36.jpeg

6F28E5A9-C90C-4488-9C77-752BE043656E.jpeg

I need some backstory here... Are you actually living in Todi? What do you do there, its such a teeny town.

20 minutes ago, Chris_ said:

I need some backstory here... Are you actually living in Todi? What do you do there, its such a teeny town.

That looks more like Swellendam area.... 

left Todi 2 months ago…also lived in the Dolomites for a while on lake Garda…

now living in Cape Town - Muizenberg and spending time in Greyton ????..

3 minutes ago, guidodg said:

left Todi 2 months ago…also lived in the Dolomites for a while on lake Garda…

now living in Cape Town - Muizenberg and spending time in Greyton ????..

Wow, well I'm sorry you had to come back (sort of joking..)

Ja I've been confused about if these were Western Cape, but I was sure the ones from a few months back with the lakes and mountains certainly weren't.

Looking for an upgrade headlamp. Currently using a cheapie Energizer and the batteries are becoming costly to replace and need something brighter.

Environment: Table mountain trails in dark mornings.

Budget: Around R800 preferably, can push it if need be.

Non Negotiables: Must be rechargeable and at least 200 lumens.

What you guys recommend/using? :) 

2 minutes ago, NeverNotRolling said:

Looking for an upgrade headlamp. Currently using a cheapie Energizer and the batteries are becoming costly to replace and need something brighter.

Environment: Table mountain trails in dark mornings.

Budget: Around R800 preferably, can push it if need be.

Non Negotiables: Must be rechargeable and at least 200 lumens.

What you guys recommend/using? :) 

I think the Black Diamond Storm is around that price and output, not sure. 

My 2c is I prefer a moer bright headlamp with good wide beam so you dont just stare at a white dot.
Bombing down a trail at night you need to be able to see well and far enough ahead, even more so where you are running. 
Maybe other people see better than I do with less light, but it never ceases to amaze me when I see people run with what looks like a cellphone light lol. 

Petzl Nao (1st Gen) has served me well, but I think they are way out of your price range. 
That being said I've had it for more than 7 years I'd guess, so over time and use the cost becomes really low. 
The reactive lighting really works well.