The Trail Running Thread

Weight Weenie

1 hour ago, Weight Weenie said:

I think the Black Diamond Storm is around that price and output, not sure. 

My 2c is I prefer a moer bright headlamp with good wide beam so you dont just stare at a white dot.
Bombing down a trail at night you need to be able to see well and far enough ahead, even more so where you are running. 
Maybe other people see better than I do with less light, but it never ceases to amaze me when I see people run with what looks like a cellphone light lol. 

Petzl Nao (1st Gen) has served me well, but I think they are way out of your price range. 
That being said I've had it for more than 7 years I'd guess, so over time and use the cost becomes really low. 
The reactive lighting really works well. 

Will look into the Storm, I see Black Diamond is quite popular but they come at a cost, hence looking for alternatives. Thanks.

That Petzl Nao is probably too cumbersome for me. I do see Camp and Climb have other Petzl offerings that perhaps I should look at.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, NeverNotRolling said:

Will look into the Storm, I see Black Diamond is quite popular but they come at a cost, hence looking for alternatives. Thanks.

That Petzl Nao is probably too cumbersome for me. I do see Camp and Climb have other Petzl offerings that perhaps I should look at.

Cool well I must say at 180g the Nao is really light for the size and sits really nicely without bounce etc

2 hours ago, NeverNotRolling said:

Looking for an upgrade headlamp. Currently using a cheapie Energizer and the batteries are becoming costly to replace and need something brighter.

Environment: Table mountain trails in dark mornings.

Budget: Around R800 preferably, can push it if need be.

Non Negotiables: Must be rechargeable and at least 200 lumens.

What you guys recommend/using? :) 

Check out the Petzl Actik too. They have a rechargeable battery (extra couple hundred bucks though) you plug straight into a usb which is handy, and easy, and lasts a good time. Its a rock solid product. 

Edit: In fact the Tikka is smaller and cheaper, and will prob suit early/late couple hour darkness stuff better

Edited by Chris_

26 minutes ago, Dieter ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) said:

I think Nitecore make the best headlamps. 

For your budget can get the NU32 (https://nitecoresa.co.za/home/nu32/) Built in battery is the way to go for me! I have the NU20 which I had to get from amazon. I use shockcord instead of the headband and it weighs just 30g and can fit in the smallest of pockets. 

This light was suggested online a few times, I did a quick search but didn't find a local supplier, I now see there are after a better search. Thank you. Just saw that the battery has +/- 500 discharges, can it be replaced? Is it a proprietary battery?

Edited by NeverNotRolling

I have a LED Lensor SEO(Think it is a 7) that is an awesome headlamp. It comes with a rechargeable battery which you can pull out and put aaa batteries in if needed.

I typically use the rechargeable for camping and around the farm but for longer events you can move to aaa batteries or better yet rechargeable aaa batteries. A good headlamp is a solid investment though. The SEO also gives you the capability to have a spot or a broader beam which is useful.

I think the SEO5 also has the rechargeable option, also a great headlamp.

The other one we have is a iH8r from led lensor. It uses a rechargeable 18650 battery, we have a few really good spare batteries for it. Also just a great torch. A bit heavier but a lot more range in the light. Great for security etc, not needed for running though.

19 minutes ago, guidodg said:

the advantage of the Ledlensers is that they have a focusable beam from flood to spot

Apologies, he has the Neo which I think has a fixed beam. Will look at the MH4. Thank you.

3 hours ago, NeverNotRolling said:

This light was suggested online a few times, I did a quick search but didn't find a local supplier, I now see there are after a better search. Thank you. Just saw that the battery has +/- 500 discharges, can it be replaced? Is it a proprietary battery?

The link I sent is the local supplier? By the time you take into the savings from not buying AAA I'm sure you can replace the whole unit. 

500 discharges at 190 lumens is 8500 hours or 354 days. It'll be fine.