Northern Farms

ycowley

This serves to confirm that there unfortunately was an incident of bicycle hijacking at Northern Farm on Sunday 11 January 2015 at around 08:25.

Here is what we know so far;

Two cyclists, a lady and a gentleman went through the tunnel at the start and followed the route.  About 250m along near the sheds, 4 guys hijacked them of their bicycles.  No one was injured and security was immediately notified and gave chase in the direction they were thought to have gone.  The farm security as yet has not found the perpetrators, but have not given up.

This incident has shocked us all as we have not had an incident on the farm for over 6 years.

Northern Farm and the NFRUG committee takes security very seriously and has already put plans in action to try prevent more incidents, this includes increasing security and other methods for your safety and riding pleasure. 

The following steps have already been taken: 

Security for today was moved around and increased.

The SAPS have been informed and statements taken.

An impromptu meeting with farm management took place and an in-depth meeting will take place later this week to tighten up the security to ensure safety of all cyclists/farm users.

There has been an increase of hijacking in JHB of late and the incidents in Blue Hills and South of Joburg are foremost on our minds.  

All information is not in, but on first investigation it appears to be opportunistic in nature.

The bikes that were taken are;  Merida Hard Tail and Mongoose Hard Tail.  We do not have pictures of them yet. No cellphones, GPS, Camel Baks were taken.

Please report any suspicious behaviour or in case of any emergency on the farm please contact

Bongani  083 879 4449

ER24 – 084 124

Life Hospital Fourways  086 0444 044

all emergency info is on the back of all information signs for your easy reference. This serves to confirm that there unfortunately was an incident of bicycle hijacking at Northern Farm on Sunday 11 January 2014 at around 08:25.

Here is what we know so far;

Two cyclists, a lady and a gentleman went through the tunnel at the start and followed the route.  About 250m along near the sheds, 4 guys hijacked them of their bicycles.  No one was injured and security was immediately notified and gave chase in the direction they were thought to have gone.  The farm security as yet has not found the perpetrators, but have not given up.

This incident has shocked us all as we have not had an incident on the farm for over 6 years.

Northern Farm and the NFRUG committee takes security very seriously and has already put plans in action to try prevent more incidents, this includes increasing security and other methods for your safety and riding pleasure. 

The following steps have already been taken: 

Security for today was moved around and increased.

The SAPS have been informed and statements taken.

An impromptu meeting with farm management took place and an in-depth meeting will take place later this week to tighten up the security to ensure safety of all cyclists/farm users.

There has been an increase of hijacking in JHB of late and the incidents in Blue Hills and South of Joburg are foremost on our minds.  

All information is not in, but on first investigation it appears to be opportunistic in nature.

The bikes that were taken are;  Merida Hard Tail and Mongoose Hard Tail.  We do not have pictures of them yet. No cellphones, GPS, Camel Baks were taken.

Please report any suspicious behaviour or in case of any emergency on the farm please contact

Bongani  083 879 4449

ER24 – 084 124

Life Hospital Fourways  086 0444 044

all emergency info is on the back of all information signs for your easy reference. 

Edited by ianhoy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. Northern farms was busy today! !! We passed the guy just after it happened. .. PoiZoNouZ. I saw you today!! Just before you got to your car, we was standing on your right side.. Blue Ford Ranger , white VW combi with Mtb stickers on..

Can't miss me on that puppy hey?

This sucks. I would normally have been at NF today at that time, but we went to Heia instead.

4 guys with guns? You don't stand a ******* chance.

This sucks. I would normally have been at NF today at that time, but we went to Heia instead.

4 guys with guns? You don't stand a ******* chance.

Where does it say they had guns?

NF management should jack security. Let's not go there again until they prove all safe.

You're on your own there Dude.

No one can guarantee your safety, you could be in your own home on your IDT and if those bastards wanted to get in, they would.

Nowhere is 100% safe. It's not going to stop me, I won't let it.

We need explosives with remote detonators in the TT of bikes though - justsaying

RSS Security on Twitter:

@RSSSecurity: Two cyclist have been held up at Northern Farms. Four perps with guns, made away on foot with bikes. RT

NF management should jack security. Let's not go there again until they prove all safe.

So what the heck are you still doing in SA??? Get out and don't come back until something is done about the security in general, all the mall shootings, cash in transit heists, armed home invasions...

Seriously dude, this is SA. 1 incident in a year is brilliant, let alone 1 in 4 years

They saw the gap and took it! I also get the feeling that they knew they were asking for a beating as they only took the bicycles. Camelbaks etc would've held them up longer. Thank goodness there were no injuries/assault or worse.

A hijacking every 4 years is good "odds" in this country! I'm going to wait and see what NF does to prevent this. Boycotting them won't help the cyclist especially if done en-masse as we might loose a good place to ride.

To the couple, go for coucelling!!! Please please. Otherwise you will become an overly paranoid cyclist like I am and that will spoil your love of the sport.

That section is right alongside the highway. If you were walking along the highway verge you would easily see all the hundreds of cyclists pedaling yesterday, as well as all the cars parked on the other side. I have never seen so many people at N Farm before, it was like a race day.

So my guess is that this was opportunistc by some dudes walking along the highway... or broken down, and spotted a gap.

In any event, N Farm has been very safe for several years and I see many male and female riders riding alone.

Unfortunately, I guess the large numbers of people using N Farm have now attracted the attention of the darker elements of our society......