Northern Farms

ycowley

I just feel that Northern Farms location is too close to another location to make it as safe as it needs to be.

I mean a hop, skip and a jump (of a fence) and they are at home with a shiny new bicycle.

post-6252-0-39073700-1421041503_thumb.png

Unfortunate really, because it is great riding.

Worst part is that these f***ers got away with the bikes, so you can rest assured knowing that they will be back.

Hopefully next time they get the beating they deserve, or even better, a bullet in the cranium.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there Saturday around the same time, riding on my own as I always do... bastards!!

Place was crazy busy on Saturday.

On foot. Where do you go on foot? Are there alternative entrances/exits?

This is horrible news, I normally ride NF by myself. 

I would imagine they went straight to the high way or down the service road to the right of the first downhill.

If these arseholes were brazen enough to rob the riders at probably the busiest section of the trail network, just imagine what they can do on the more secluded sections of the trail. 

Just imagine if these guys had a brainfart and decided to get a canoe or something of the like - they rob you at the river section, climb down to the boat waiting at the riverbank and paddle across. The perfect bike-jacking!

As newbies to MTB's we were also part of the crowd yesterday and just as were were about to set off on our ride were made aware of the incident. It did not put us off and I must say what a wonderful morning, did the pink route with my 4 yr old on his 16" with training wheels and he finished the whole thing (yes with me pushing on the uphills). Wife did the green with our 6yr old and friends and thoroughly enjoyed it. Although very busy at the parking and start, the routes were never too busy and you never got the sense of a crowd, overall an excellent outing.

I would like to thank Simon Nash and managed to meet up with him yesterday again after many years. Simon helped us design and set up the routes for the BIKE4BEASTS MTB challenges and I would really like to compliment him on the changes at Northern Farms and the success of the development trust. Keep up the good work.

Yes, a sad incident after many trouble free years (I hear), but we will be back and support Northern Farms.

Rode Northern Farms on thursday morning. Three of us were first in at 6am and had a great ride. Love the changes to the black route, especially the new section called "Enchanted Forest". Well done to the team.

Sorry to hear about the bike jacking - hope it is an isolated incident

Was certainly the busiest Ive ever seen yesterday - yet amazingly one doesn't feel crowded on the trails as everyone is pretty well dispersed.... and therein lies the problem... even though its busy, once through the tunnel its seems pretty quiet and the Hi jacking types take full advantage of that. Cycle in groups and carry pepper spray very close at hand like velcro'ed onto your bars...

sucks but its reality everywhere these days... !

Sheesh the place was busy this morning, I think half of JHB was there!

Lots of newcomers, which is great to see, but people need to be careful, saw a gent fall very hard on that first downhill. Hope he is ok.

I urge newcomers to attend at least one skills clinic!

On another note, rode it on my fatty for the first time, wow what fun!

hey there,

please send details for the skills clinic.

I am very interested to attend one.

Thanks

Anton

hey there,

please send details for the skills clinic.

I am very interested to attend one.

Thanks

Anton

Check with the farms directly I have seen clinics there but I think it's hosted by external companies.

Lots of newcomers, which is great to see, but people need to be careful, saw a gent fall very hard on that first downhill. Hope he is ok.

I urge newcomers to attend at least one skills clinic!

!

Yup. Left quite a bit of skin on that first downhill my first two rides at NF - It's quite deceptive as to how quickly you pick up speed. First time I was going too slowly, second time being too wingat for my skill level :)

Rode Northern Farms on thursday morning. Three of us were first in at 6am and had a great ride. Love the changes to the black route, especially the new section called "Enchanted Forest". Well done to the team.

Sorry to hear about the bike jacking - hope it is an isolated incident

Sounds interesting but I normally stick to red as it's a lot more flowing. Whereabouts on the route is that?

PS: hope the hijackers die in a fiery explosion.

FEEDBACK  - Did the Red Route this morning. Security guards placed all along the perimeter fence with roving guards patrolling the other hotspots. Well done to the management and organisers at NF. Hope this is the new way forward in keeping us safe.

Also much impressed in the way which the traditional muddy-spots have been drained and dried. 

After you cross the weir, and turn sharp left, ride for about 500 meters on the road that heads back up to the bridge and take the signposted turn on the left (just as the first climb starts) the Enchanted Forest is part of that little loop.

Edited by Bonus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't been to NF in ages ( at least 2 years) 

contemplating a quick ride there before heading back to work tomorrow,

any suggestions for a 30/40km route?

I haven't been to NF in ages ( at least 2 years) 

contemplating a quick ride there before heading back to work tomorrow,

any suggestions for a 30/40km route?

The red route will give you 38km