Polar power meter: No power, no cadence no speed?

Willehond

OK, I have a VERY stupid question: How many batteries does my Polar power meter have?  I replaced the one in my handlebar unit to restore power, but does the big black unit on the chainstay also have it's own battery?

The reason I'm asking is becaus it all stoppped working on Monday.  No power, no cadence, speedc, not even a blinking light on startup!  So it seems there is no power getting through to the sensor.  Is it a simple battery replacement on the sensor or is there something else wrong (broken wire, faulty unit, etc.)?  BTW, I replaced the handlebar unit's battery before you ask.  I also cleaned the watch unit's points to make sure there is contact.

My watch is a S725X.
Willehond2008-02-28 06:28:58

willehond, ek dink jy moet dit toets met iemand wat ook 'n 725 het.

Cadence, gaan daai orange liggie aan as die magneet verby gaan? Dan is daai battery mos ok.

selfde met die speed sensor, die liggie moet "click" as hy verby die magneet rol.

ek weet nie die power gadget.

As jy jou polar aansit, en jy move deur die screens, gaan die displays so "dof" as jy van een tot die ander gaan?

Maybe.(suggestion) connnect jou 725 aan jou PC en check net dat al die watch setting nog reg gestel is. Daar is mos 'n "power" tick wat jy moet merk as jy power lesing wil sien op jou watch.

there is no battery in the chain stay thing.  only on the handle bar mount.  First guess is to check the cable connection.  Otherwise worst case the cable has broken inside the casing.

Mine is also giving trouble.  First the speed sensor wire disconnected so I soldered it back on.  Now the cadence isn't picking up so meaining no power reading.  Going to take it to the Polar guys at the expo.

Anybody got a Power tap lying around?

Maybe you should go to gym and bulk up so you can have enough power in the legs to start the thing up.

willehond' date=' ek dink jy moet dit toets met iemand wat ook 'n 725 het.

Cadence, gaan daai orange liggie aan as die magneet verby gaan? Dan is daai battery mos ok. Probleem is die liggie gaan nie aan nie.  Opgehou werk

selfde met die speed sensor, die liggie moet "click" as hy verby die magneet rol. Niks click nie!

ek weet nie die power gadget.

As jy jou polar aansit, en jy move deur die screens, gaan die displays so "dof" as jy van een tot die ander gaan? Niks gaan dof nie, die hand unit is A OK.

Maybe.(suggestion) connnect jou 725 aan jou PC en check net dat al die watch setting nog reg gestel is. Daar is mos 'n "power" tick wat jy moet merk as jy power lesing wil sien op jou watch. Klaar gechek.  Alles OK daar ook. Lyk my dis die draadjies!!![/quote']

Popeye, my antwoordjies in BLOU bo

there is no battery in the chain stay thing.  only on the handle bar mount.  First guess is to check the cable connection.  Otherwise worst case the cable has broken inside the casing.

Mine is also giving trouble.  First the speed sensor wire disconnected so I soldered it back on.  Now the cadence isn't picking up so meaining no power reading.  Going to take it to the Polar guys at the expo.

Anybody got a Power tap lying around?

Thanks Le Tour, sounds like you know my pain!  Yes, I think it's a broken wire, so I guess I'll take it to the Expo, but I don't think they'll be bale to fix it there.  Would be nice though...

Also wish I had a Power-Tap, but not on my budget!

OK' date=' I have a VERY stupid question: How many batteries does my Polar power meter have?  I replaced the one in my handlebar unit to restore power, but does the big black unit on the chainstay also have it's own battery?

The reason I'm asking is becaus it all stoppped working on Monday.  No power, no cadence, speedc, not even a blinking light on startup!  So it seems there is no power getting through to the sensor.  Is it a simple battery replacement on the sensor or is there something else wrong (broken wire, faulty unit, etc.)?  BTW, I replaced the handlebar unit's battery before you ask.  I also cleaned the watch unit's points to make sure there is contact.

My watch is a S725X.
[/quote']

WH, have you checked whether your watch is set on the correct bike settings? If so, sometimes one accidentally pushes the bottom right button on the Polar and it switches between bikes 1 and 2 etc. If so, then hold the bottom right for a few seconds until the power, cadence and speed shows in the display on top.

OK' date=' I have a VERY stupid question: How many batteries does my Polar power meter have?  I replaced the one in my handlebar unit to restore power, but does the big black unit on the chainstay also have it's own battery?

My watch is a S725X.
[/quote']

WH, have you checked whether your watch is set on the correct bike settings? If so, sometimes one accidentally pushes the bottom right button on the Polar and it switches between bikes 1 and 2 etc. If so, then hold the bottom right for a few seconds until the power, cadence and speed shows in the display on top.

Thanks Eezymiles, but I have checked it and changed it back and forth.  I can see the Pwr reading on the screen, it's just that it is stuck on zero!  I really think it is related to the wiring/battery circuit as the pilot lights on the chainstay unit do not blink on startup

willehond, jy moet ook oppas, as jy daai onderste knoppie druk switch jy ook van "cycling" na "running" mode.

Is joune nie miskien nou op die "RUNNING" mode gestel?

Alles kan mos nie net op eenslag afgaan... soos in kapoet.

Gaan lees gou op hoe jy dit terug sit na cycling.popeye2008-02-28 07:03:24

Willehond, I had the same problem.  What I found was that 2 little wires in the connection going to the watch unit tore out (wire wound too tight).  Took it into Polar and they fixed it, no problem (cost me R85).  To check, unscrew where the wires go into the headunit, move the sleeve back and you should be able to check it.

There is nothing wrong with the watch unit.  The lights should flash (initially) even without the watch attached, as long as the cable is plugged into the handlebar mount that has the battery in it.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, got it back from Polar.  The wire going into the unit was broken.  R250 odd rand for new wire and labour.  Now I just need to figure out how to set it up to get proper readings in thebig blade!  It never ends...

OK' date=' got it back from Polar.  The wire going into the unit was broken.  R250 odd rand for new wire and labour.  Now I just need to figure out how to set it up to get proper readings in thebig blade!  It never ends...[/quote']

Should that not fall under warranty ??

Skye, I bought mine from a friend and he already had it a while, so no, I definitely had to pay for this one!

Hey WH, I am persistent but I gave up on the old polar.

I actually ended up making little teflon bracket things so that I could be sure that the sensor was EXACTLY in the right place and still I had differences between the different gear combinations.

The one thing that I did learn was that the vertical distance between the sensor and chain is not nearly as important as making sure that horizontal position (front, rear, left & right) is as close as you can get it.

Ignore the extreme "cross chain" gear combo's (assuming that you won't use these) and get the pickup section of the sensor under the part of the chain that moves laterally the least.

For the vertical position get the sensor close to the chain without it touching in the small ring combo's. The magnet will suck the chain onto the sensor while there is no tension on it but it musn't touch while there is tension.

Unfortunately even with weeks of fussing around I could still never get it good enough for my liking. Black Hill was my testing ground. The gradient from the Glencairn side allows you to use a bunch of different gears and the gradient is quite even.

Good luck.

ps. I saw an advert on gumtree for a PT SL with wheels for R5k. Wink

Windbreaker2008-03-24 09:06:26