Do you ride a 26er?

Guest dirkieuys

I got back into cycling last year after a very long lay-off (26 was all that one had then) by getting a relatively cheap 26 Trance. Used 29er were just too expensive, especially FS.

I know I could have gotten a HT 29er but with the hip problems I had I thought a FS might just make it easier.

Fast forward 5 months and 1500km since I got the bike and I love it and I don’t feel the need for an upgrade to a 29er. I don’t really have the skill or capabilities that would say “a 29er will make your life better”

I don’t regret my decision. I hope my bike will last long enough to hand down to my 8yo son, and then I’ll think of buying whatever the rage will be then.

Until then, 26” as well as my gravel/road build

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still have an old 26" Mongoose ECX four cross frame in my garage I am itching to build up as a general fun bike. Just had to sell all the parts I had for it to finance my new ride.

Might just make a comeback to the 26'er scene with her one day.

Biggest two issues with the bike is the 152x30 rear shock that needs replacing and finding a straight steerer fork for it.

post-50361-0-06792300-1554191561_thumb.jpg

Edited by Otero

Many ,many kms in the hills North of Grootbrakrivier on this guy. Right at the back in four Attas and two Magalies Monsters.

Maybe time to upgrade.

attachicon.gifSilverback Edit.JPG

I still have my Silverback Spectra 3 - Can't imagine doing an Atta on it though!  :eek: You must have gotten a few strange looks!

I still have my Silverback Spectra 3 - Can't imagine doing an Atta on it though!  :eek: You must have gotten a few strange looks!

Nice bike , isn't it ? You won't believe it but I actually own two (a long story and there was red wine involved). A Spectra 1 and a blue and white Spectra 2. I love my bikes and won't sell them as I have grandchildren growing up. My son recently went from a HT to a dual sus, and he says it makes a huge difference .

As far as the Atta goes , I got one comment at this years finish . Backmarkers - we just worry about the cut off.

Changed to 29 about 1.5 months ago

Big change what with a larger frame X to a XL, 3x to 1x and Alu to carbon

Moorewood Zula to a Spez EVO

I still have my old GT ht that I do a lot of training(road)on. It is still fully kitted for dirt though and a year or so ago I was out training with my toppie and we went passed huddle park trails so decided to go in and ride them. I have ridden the trails before on my 29er(also a ht) and although it was good fun on the old 26" it was much better on the 29er. I never realised how much better the 29er was till I did this and I had done plenty races on my 26" without thinking there was a better option. My toppie has a 650b anthem, I have ridden it and it is also very lekker. If I had the zar I would have all 3.

I am heading out for some fun on my 26er Steel HT later today. Keeps me appreciating the comfort and control on my 170mm enduro bike and makes me a bit stronger on the descents...

I still have my old GT ht that I do a lot of training(road)on. It is still fully kitted for dirt though and a year or so ago I was out training with my toppie and we went passed huddle park trails so decided to go in and ride them. I have ridden the trails before on my 29er(also a ht) and although it was good fun on the old 26" it was much better on the 29er. I never realised how much better the 29er was till I did this and I had done plenty races on my 26" without thinking there was a better option. My toppie has a 650b anthem, I have ridden it and it is also very lekker. If I had the zar I would have all 3.

I can’t wait to see how much difference the clown wheels make on my local berg DH lap

My brother is borrowing my 26er as a casual bike until my kids are big enough to use it. As per my earlier flippant comment, took it for a quick ride in Dec, eish..., not as nice & nostalgic as I imagined it would be.