Review: Frog Tadpole kid's balance bike

Claudio

As an avid cyclist it was important for me to get something for my son that would have 'serious cyclist' written all over it. When Matt (i.e. Admin to all the Hubbers, and my neighbour) asked if I would be willing to write a review for the Frog Tadpole balance bike, it seemed a perfect option.

Click here to view the article

These balance bikes are an amazing concept, kids pick up riding so quickly and effortlessly without any instruction. I'd just say that the one advantage the Strider has over this bike would be the way the wheel stay is shaped as a footrest and includes a bit of grip tape there. It encourages the kid to tuck their feet up when they start balancing and even stand on them and pump when they get more advanced.

As the owner of a group of preschools, and keen cyclist, I have bought a number of balance bikes in the past, with a view to getting kids on bikes without the parents having to teach them. 2 negatives from my perspective.

Having tubes in the tyres is a pain, as they are very difficult to pump up with such a small wheel. Rather have solid wheels. The kids do ram them into each other and objects, causing punctures.

Would be awesome to have a slightly bigger version for 4-6 year olds. In a preschool, pedals would be a problem, as they catch on stairs, tyres, ankles, etc, whatever is in the playground. But the smaller bike is too short for some of my older kids.

Big positive, is that ALL the kids who leave my schools post 4 years old, CAN ride a bike!!

As the owner of a group of preschools, and keen cyclist, I have bought a number of balance bikes in the past, with a view to getting kids on bikes without the parents having to teach them. 2 negatives from my perspective.

Having tubes in the tyres is a pain, as they are very difficult to pump up with such a small wheel. Rather have solid wheels. The kids do ram them into each other and objects, causing punctures.

Would be awesome to have a slightly bigger version for 4-6 year olds. In a preschool, pedals would be a problem, as they catch on stairs, tyres, ankles, etc, whatever is in the playground. But the smaller bike is too short for some of my older kids.

Big positive, is that ALL the kids who leave my schools post 4 years old, CAN ride a bike!!

Which preschools? I think some fellow cyclists may want to send their kids there.

• 2 years later...