Cycle Science in Broadacres Sells Fake Pinarello

Holy carp their lawyer suggests reselling a fake at an even higher market value that the goods is worth. Is he a real estate agent on the side?

LOL.

Anyway - Andrew - you DON'T have yourself to blame. As someone who was going into a LBS for a bike, of all things, and told that it was a normal Pina, you had no obligation to check that it was in fact the right thing. Especially given that the LBS in question clearly insinuated it was a genuine article. Multiple times.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just can't get my head around why top end bicycles are the same price as a brand new superbike????

If you look at the RD, the carbon, the mechanical engineering, racing, tests, suspensions, electronics, etc. of a superbike compared to a bicycle = same price as a bicycle, iemand is besig om die hoender uit die poepol te ruk...

Agree....But at least there is some R and D going into design with carbon fiber and frame design etc....

The same question can be asked for just about anything....look at running shoes...who pays +/- R1400 for a pair of Asics (or Nike or....) Most are made in the East and use the same basic materials that they used 10 years ago... just shuffle the sole design or upper design around a bit every few years

Back to topic:

I cannot believe that CS and their (limited) "followers" on the hub have not made any move in the direction of appearing regretful for misleading clients, instead they dig a deeper grave by trying to make the victim look bad.

Andrew by your calm and well written responses these guys never stood a chance ... you make a number of good points and I hope this is the catalyst for sorting them and others who try similar scams out. Best of luck!

I wonder under what nom de plum tortollini will pop up under next

Out of interest I would still like to know the difference in "genuine" products and the 91k that was paid for the complete bike.

But geez, I do not want to be those guys this morning.

Congrats to the OP for getting some justice served on those thieves, and im sure now other LBS will be wary of following a similar path.

On a lighter note.......

Andrew, How much you selling the Chinarello Dogpoo for?

OR can we buy it back from Laurel n Hardy for R 9100, now that they've admitted its a fake?

Pinarello use Torayca 65HM1K carbon."When referring to 65HM we are referring to a fiber with a tensile modulus of 65 tons per square centimeter. When we refer to 1K it means that there are 1000 fibers per strand." So a 1K weave with 65ton tensile strength.

Your statement there is wrong. Modulus refers to the stiffness of the material, it has very little relation to the strength of the material.

As an example, almost every steel has a modulus ranging from about 19 000 tons/cm2 to 21 000 tons/cm2 while strength can range from about 30 tons/cm2 to 200 tons/cm2.

It also look like that value of 65 tons/cm2 is a misprint. 65 tons/cm2 is not stiff at all - that's around the stiffness of rubber. I think it should be 65 000 tons/cm2.

another question, what are we hoping for here:

Cycle Science close down?

A scare to other bike shops?

Money back?

They must go to jail?

All of the above?

another question, what are we hoping for here:

Cycle Science close down?

A scare to other bike shops?

Money back?

They must go to jail?

All of the above?

E.) All of the Above

this article was inspiring and glad it got sorted

In actual fact It was motivated me and my father in law to confront the guy who sold us 2 fake bikes.

An tips on how to approach him.

He sold my father in law a pinarello, which after watching carte blanche we can confirm is a fake. And after we asked him at least 3 times he confirmed it is a original pinarello.

And he sold me a rebranded cervelo s5, also multiple times I asked is it a geniune Cervelo and it was confirmed multiple times. and my lbs confirmed its a fake.

Only dif is we didn't pay 90k, we payed just over 35k each. So you might argue we got what we payd for. But he explicitly said its the genuine thing on multiple occasions and in front f multiple witnesses, and he is planning opening his own shop in randburg, so this might happen to more people soon, so if we can stop it now, we can also prevent future people from being scamed.

Who is this you speak of?

Tell us before we also burn our fingers

Your statement there is wrong. Modulus refers to the stiffness of the material, it has very little relation to the strength of the material.

As an example, almost every steel has a modulus ranging from about 19 000 tons/cm2 to 21 000 tons/cm2 while strength can range from about 30 tons/cm2 to 200 tons/cm2.

It also look like that value of 65 tons/cm2 is a misprint. 65 tons/cm2 is not stiff at all - that's around the stiffness of rubber. I think it should be 65 000 tons/cm2.

True, wrong use of words. As for the "quote" that was taken off Pinarello's website.

:offtopic: Looks like this be hittin' 125 pages before EOB today! If this was a youtube video, would have had all sorts of endorsement deals :)

A random thought: did anyone check whether CS is open today?

Just filled up with petrol at the garage across the way from them, business as usual it seems.

Andrew by your calm and well written responses these guys never stood a chance ... you make a number of good points and I hope this is the catalyst for sorting them and others who try similar scams out. Best of luck!

I wish i had AA temperament , i would of walked in that shop and bliksemed that Galleniti dude. I Need to work on the anger management part of my persona.