Tygerberg MTB club fees for affiliated members

Wasbeer

Hi guys.

Had my first taste of the Tygerberg Trails this weekend and think you guys did a great job with the trails.

Before I went for a ride I had a look at your website and see there is no day pass to do the full route and now cant get from one trail to the other with out a full membership and had to take the car form one trail to the other.

I stay in Somerset and have a year pass in Jonkers and always pay the day pass when riding on trails that Im not a member but paying R500 for a year pass so I can do a full ride in dville and only ride once a month is a bit steep.

Dont you guys think that you can do a affiliated fee for people that pay for membership at other trails and only can ride once or twice a month on your "full route".

Just a idea for the future to help people that is not members at tygerburg to be able to do a nice 50km ride and not have to go and dodge cars.

It's not the club itself, but the landowners that want members only on the corridors.

If you ride Contermanskloof, Meerendal and Hoogekraal in one day, that will cost R90 in total without being able to use the corridors. Once a month for just 6 months will cost R540 as opposed to a full year membership of R525 with full access.

R525 is not steep by any means, even if you ride all the trails once a month, the benefits exceeds the costs

Nee ou perd, no matter how I look at it, it is a lot of money to ride once a month.

If you don't live there you don't get value out of a year membership. I do some of the t/berg trails in chunks every now and then (bv Meerendal, Hoogies or Conters,) but most of my spend is going to Grabouw,Stellies, Jonkers and Wellington. And with it goes the associated spend at coffee shops etc.

I agree with Rapunzel, if you can organise something like the Bottelary Hills club did you will see more of the out of town riders.

Edited by PhilipV

Agree 100%. There should be a day pass for non-members. As a member, I can't take mates from out of town on a full ride - which just plain sux.

So if mates from Jhb or PE etc come to visit we are limited to individual tracks and/or having to tie them together without using the corridors.

Nee ou perd, no matter how I look at it, it is a lot of money to ride once a month.

If you don't live there you don't get value out of a year membership. I do some of the t/berg trails in chunks every now and then (bv Meerendal, Hoogies or Conters,) but most of my spend is going to Grabouw,Stellies, Jonkers and Wellington. And with it goes the associated spend at coffee shops etc.

I agree with Rapunzel, if you can organise something like the Bottelary Hills club did you will see more of the out of town riders.

nr1: Ek is nie jou perd nie.

nr2: As jy mooi lees se die OP hy ry Dville trails een keer n maand, dit gee vir my n totaal van R120/dag, maal dit met 12 en jy kom by R1440 vir die jaar uit

nr3: hy kan dan nogsteeds nie die corridors ry nie?

so verduidelik nou vir my hoe dit nie sin maak om n jaar permit te koop al ry jy net eenkeer n maand nie?

Hi guys this horse has been beaten to death, but a previous post is quite right, the corridors being members only is because of land owner requests and is not a club decision. They want only members going through the corridors and that is the way it will stay in the foreseeable future. And yes the club tried the deposited board suggestion but got turned down.

At R525 for a year membership being steep, bottelary is R450 per month with about 1/30th of the single track to build and maintain that Tygeberg has to do. So no for the cost of basically a single race fee you can ride 60+km of singletrack for an entire year. So no, in relation to any other trail network its a absolute bargain.

As for associations with other trail networks/clubs this has been tried many many times in the past, and for various reasons isn't feasible. Even though agreed, it would be nice.

So I get where everyone is coming from, but alas I have my Tygerberg membership, i have my botthills membership and i have my jonkers permits. I get value out of riding every single one of those networks so I pay the people that put the blood sweat and tears into making the trails available, Its expensive and hard work to build and maintain trails and that's why every network deserves my contribution. Even if i only ride botthills about 3 times a year. They are still doing good work and expanding as they get more funds.

nr1: Ek is nie jou perd nie.

nr2: As jy mooi lees se die OP hy ry Dville trails een keer n maand, dit gee vir my n totaal van R120/dag, maal dit met 12 en jy kom by R1440 vir die jaar uit

nr3: hy kan dan nogsteeds nie die corridors ry nie?

so verduidelik nou vir my hoe dit nie sin maak om n jaar permit te koop al ry jy net eenkeer n maand nie?

Ek gaan dit in engels doen, netnou voel iemand uitgesluit.

I wasn't refering to him, I was reffering to myself. No matter how I look at it, I won't find value in going to T/berg 12 times a year for 525. It works out to R43.75 per month, but then you have to get there from S/West, and you need to look at the opportunity cost of not going to jonkers or grabouw (for which he already has a year pass.)

If he has reason to be in T/berg once a month (family,work,passion for t/berg trails) then it is a different story.

But you basically need to ride once a month, and then most of the farms and go through the corridors in that monthly ride to get value.

I'd rather not go there monthly, and have flexibility to ride anywhere else, and on the occasion (max 4times a year) that I ride T/berg trails I'll happily skip corridors and pay more, but usually we only do one farm at a time anyway, so I only pay about 50 bucks. If you had a "full access pass" like at bottelary, I would probably still only do a full ride once or twice a year.

Comparing Tygerberg to other trail centres is not comparing apples with apples. T/berg has a unique set of challenges, politics and resources to manage. They ARE doing a good job at it.

So let me rephrase my previous statement: I don't see the value of R525 for a year for myself, and not for the OP unless he has a serious need to go ride there monthly.

Maybe for you the benefits exceeds the costs if you ride monthly, but I totally disagree.

The OP was proposing a way to make it cheaper for him to do a full ride there, so I assume (assumptions are exactly that) that he is also pushing to get better value by getting a lower rate.

Hi guys this horse has been beaten to death, but a previous post is quite right, the corridors being members only is because of land owner requests and is not a club decision. They want only members going through the corridors and that is the way it will stay in the foreseeable future. And yes the club tried the deposited board suggestion but got turned down.

At R525 for a year membership being steep, bottelary is R450 per month with about 1/30th of the single track to build and maintain that Tygeberg has to do. So no for the cost of basically a single race fee you can ride 60+km of singletrack for an entire year. So no, in relation to any other trail network its a absolute bargain.

As for associations with other trail networks/clubs this has been tried many many times in the past, and for various reasons isn't feasible. Even though agreed, it would be nice.

So I get where everyone is coming from, but alas I have my Tygerberg membership, i have my botthills membership and i have my jonkers permits. I get value out of riding every single one of those networks so I pay the people that put the blood sweat and tears into making the trails available, Its expensive and hard work to build and maintain trails and that's why every network deserves my contribution. Even if i only ride botthills about 3 times a year. They are still doing good work and expanding as they get more funds.

Has an option been considered that one can purchase a day permit for full access that can only be used if accompanied by a Paid Up Member on the trails. The PUP must be present and show his / her membership no when collecting the board as this member is directly responsible for the guest on the day?

I just need to add that I have already "paid back" my membership for this year from the rides I have done to date (vs paying the daily access rates) ...... so in essence I ride for "free" for the rest of the year :)

Tygerberg MTB Club have certain contraints and limitations they are working in and, nonewithstanding, ARE doing a brilliant job. The comittee have considered a number of alternatives to allow non-members more freedom on the trails, however, given a pinkie and the whole hand was taken, hence the restrictions.

I ride Jonkers at least once per month and gladly pay my R25 for entry, I do not see the need to buy an anual permit just yet. Botterlay Hills also have some good trails and I I will gladly pay my entry. Do I make requirements as to how much I want to pay for entering or riding any trails? No. Do I request that certain allowances are made to accomodate my requirements? No. SANPARKS / trail owners will just laugh me off and show me the door. I know what the trail rules are and the club's rules are and abide by it.

Each and every person(rider) has their own requirements, limitations and motivations and cannot expect a club having 4000+ members to accomodate every rider showing interest in riding the trails's requirements. That is just not going to happen. That will be a disaster waiting to happen.

The corridors are members only and have been made such as a result of a number of reasons that shall not be divilged.

Each person also has a different perception of what value is to them. You need to decide if that is worth YOUR while from a monitary standpoint. One should also understand that it is a previledge for us to ride these trails. Not our right. And the fact that non-members are allowed (with a valid day permit) is also a great aspect the club is allowing.

Thank you Tygerberg MTB Club!

The corridors are members only and have been made such as a result of a number of reasons that shall not be divilged.

I KNOW there are various and mostly good reasons for this but I have always felt TMBC "pluk 'n lat vir hulleself" by having different trails for members / non-members. Very confusing for the "occasional rider" and difficult to monitor/police.

when you get this right take me with you because I cant read maps and need someone to show me the corridors between the trails...

The next time I go, come with myself and Covie, he knows it all like the back of his hand.