User Review: PYGA OneTen29

LazyTrailRider

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PYGA actually recommends 120-1300mm for the OneTen, it's the OneTwenty which prefers a 130-140mm setup.

That being said, I would run a 140mm Revelation on the OneTen without qualms. It would slacken the HA just enough to suit the kind of riding that extra 20mm will encourage. Would be a good match I reckon :thumbup:

I confirm : I'm riding a OneTen with a 140mm Revelation, and no concern so far. I had initially planned to reduce travel to 130, but it's working so well that I've left it at 140 :drool:

Great review. I also have the 140 on mine, it is great. Also running a 22-32-42 x 10 setup which absolutely works for me.

Tom

Ya, this review seems spot on. Did you guys read that review done by MBR mag? The guy missed the whole point.

Ya, this review seems spot on. Did you guys read that review done by MBR mag? The guy missed the whole point.

I still need to read that, thanks for the reminder...

Interested to know what you think. I reckon he just looked at the numbers and made his mind up on preconception.

Martin - what do you reckon of this for marathons?

I'm keen to get one for my 50th, but it will be the last bike I would be buying for a good long time and I wouldn't want to be going wrong. Marathons are mostly what I do.

I'm replacing a 26" GT Sensor, which actually has the same sort of characteristics that are said of this Pyga - climbs well and can be hurled down mountains at speeds that seem way beyond one's capabilities and generally good all round. I love it, but I want to get 29" wheels.

I'm keen to get one for my 50th, but it will be the last bike I would be buying for a good long time and I wouldn't want to be going wrong. Marathons are mostly what I do.

I'm replacing a 26" GT Sensor, which actually has the same sort of characteristics that are said of this Pyga - climbs well and can be hurled down mountains at speeds that seem way beyond one's capabilities and generally good all round. I love it, but I want to get 29" wheels.

I'd say go for it.

The cool thing about the OneTen really is its split personality. I was very surprised by how well it behaves itself on smooth surfaces with lots of pedalling input (ie most of your typical marathon). I've owned many hardtails, and many duallies from XC up to full-on DH machines over the years. The one thing that's always bothered me about riding a duallie is the inevitable annoying bob and pedal feedback, and that accompanying feeling that your energy is going somewhere other than into propelling you forward. The very noticeable thing about the PYGA is that it doesn't feel like that, it feels efficient. Bear in mind also that the Monarch has two lockout/"pro-pedal-like" settings, so running it on the platform setting gives you even more efficiency when needed. Mind you, I fiddled with that initially but have actually just left it open as recommended because it's not really necessary.

Edited by Martin Hattingh

I've had mine for just over a year. Last year I did Hill2Hill, Berg & Bush Descent and Wines2Whales with it, with no problems. It climbs well (better than my old 26" hardtail) and loves single track (even the W2W switchbacks). Go for it.

This year I swapped out a 110mm Fox fork for a 130mm Rockshox Revelation, which added even more fun.

I confirm : I'm riding a OneTen with a 140mm Revelation, and no concern so far. I had initially planned to reduce travel to 130, but it's working so well that I've left it at 140 :drool:

Running 140 revelation on mine, it's way better than the 120 I had on at first.

• 3 weeks later...

Important point.

I've found the only stiction to be at the shock eyelets. Seeing as they're (as on almost all bikes) not bearing-mounted, they don't pivot perfectly smoothly unless they're only partially tightened. Not fully tightening them of course means that they very quickly rattle loose. Not an ideal setup. I'm going to experiment with Loctite, but I don't know if it will hold things in place solidly enough in a partially tightened state...

Always been wondering about these:

http://www.endurofor....com/id275.html

Maybe solve the last source of "stiction" on the bike?

After a great weekend of riding on the new 140 Pascoe down in KZN, I found that the top shock bolt had shaken completely loose from the vibration of the trip back home. I see that the pyga website recommmends that it be tightened to 35Nm. I doubt it was in the first place, otherwise I'm sure it wouldn't have shaken loose after four rides and 1 road trip. When you say "partially tightened", what do you reckon is an appropriate torque, so as to avoid stiction, but not rattle out? I tightened it again, but nowhere near the 35Nm suggested. Loctite might help too.

I'd also be pretty keen to try out the needle bearing shock mount kit.

After a great weekend of riding on the new 140 Pascoe down in KZN, I found that the top shock bolt had shaken completely loose from the vibration of the trip back home. I see that the pyga website recommmends that it be tightened to 35Nm. I doubt it was in the first place, otherwise I'm sure it wouldn't have shaken loose after four rides and 1 road trip. When you say "partially tightened", what do you reckon is an appropriate torque, so as to avoid stiction, but not rattle out? I tightened it again, but nowhere near the 35Nm suggested. Loctite might help too.

I'd also be pretty keen to try out the needle bearing shock mount kit.

If you are using 3 piece mounting hardware on you shock, stiction will remain constant irrespective of how tight you tighten the shock eye bolt.

Hi Dave

I've completed Tankwa Trek, Argus MTB and the Argus Tour, Epic and a few others on mine. My partner will probably also get one if he's allowed to do the Epic again next year.

And then you can bomb it around Tokai with a big smile on your face if you want.

Tom