Hub Tacx Virtual Races & Rides

Harryn

@ harryn and dips. Why don't you meet at dips house and help him to get the thing going

thanks for offering their services :clap: but give me till monday then im going to start offering beers/bribes/ bike spares

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for offering their services :clap: but give me till monday then im going to start offering beers/bribes/ bike spares

Eishhh bud, time to stock the fridge I'm guessing, based on how you've been struggling with the setup to date. :)

Eishhh bud, time to stock the fridge I'm guessing, based on how you've been struggling with the setup to date. :)

:blush: :blush: :clap: :clap:

Who wants R1000 If you have access to team viewer and you can go on my computer, link up my gps files so I can use it and calibrate my trainer I'll hit you a eft or bike part voucher

THERE MUST BE ONE HUBBER,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Crc have the top of the range for about 10k. But ask Dips he just bought

Edit. My bad, i see you were asking about the multiplayer license. Sorry - i think its about 30 euros

Howzit - It looks like you are the expert here! So I have a few questions - hopefully you can spare me the pain of buying bits I don't need!

Have an I-vortex with the latest TTS4 software. Stand alone PC, plenty of memory, and currently really enjoying training on the catalyst.

However, the main reason we got the Vortex is so that we can load the gps file for Ironman Kona, and ride different sections of the route a few times before we go in October.

Question is, what do I need to do this - pretty sure I need the Google Earth licence, which I will probably get, but before I fork out for that, are Garmin GPS files compatible?

Secondly, how much bandwidth will a 90min session use - am I going to end up with a fat bill at the end of the session????

Howzit - It looks like you are the expert here! So I have a few questions - hopefully you can spare me the pain of buying bits I don't need!

Have an I-vortex with the latest TTS4 software. Stand alone PC, plenty of memory, and currently really enjoying training on the catalyst.

However, the main reason we got the Vortex is so that we can load the gps file for Ironman Kona, and ride different sections of the route a few times before we go in October.

Question is, what do I need to do this - pretty sure I need the Google Earth licence, which I will probably get, but before I fork out for that, are Garmin GPS files compatible?

Secondly, how much bandwidth will a 90min session use - am I going to end up with a fat bill at the end of the session????

Hi Andymann

Though I do not have a Garmin myself, I download lots of my rides from my riding pal's Garmin connect page, and it works really well, It imports from GPS quickly and easily, and the rides are fun and seamless. As an aside, I find it fascinating to ride a route on the machine which one knows well from real life riding- as its really incredible to see how accurately the elevation is simulated.

You will indeed need a Google Earth licence (30 Euros). I use it all the time and reckon its well worth it. (You have to shell out for this every year). I assume you have a Garmin or access to the files.?

On the question of bandwidth, I found when I started using my Tacx that it contributed hugely to my reaching my cap, a problem I solved by going the uncapped route. I'm using my trainer 3 to 4 hours a week, all on the Google Earth and the multiplayer functions (I find the Catalyst mind numbingly boring), and this was not really do-able for me with an 8gig cap.

Another thing to bear in mind is that you need a relatively quick connection. I was having issues with the Google imagery downloading too slowly, having to wait for the image (sometimes having to stop so the pics could "catch up" with me), and this was very frustrating. Since upgrading to a 4 meg line, this issue is completely solved - though I do find that when my daughter is streaming whilst I am riding I sometimes do pick up the same issue - probably because Mweb are shaping me when this happens.

DISCLAIMER: I am most assuredly NOT an expert. I have however found lots of useful info on the Tacx forums at http://forum.tacx.com/

PS: If anyone has ridden the Tour of Durban route with their Garmin, I would be hugely grateful if you could email the GPS file to me. Please PM me if you can help.

Edited by Harryn

On another note, now that all the public holidays are almost over (save for Wednesday where the plan is ride, coffee, shower, vote) its soon time to ramp up our during the week evening hub Tacx rides. Watch this space!

Hi Andymann

Though I do not have a Garmin myself, I download lots of my rides from my riding pal's Garmin connect page, and it works really well, It imports from GPS quickly and easily, and the rides are fun and seamless. As an aside, I find it fascinating to ride a route on the machine which one knows well from real life riding- as its really incredible to see how accurately the elevation is simulated.

You will indeed need a Google Earth licence (30 Euros). I use it all the time and reckon its well worth it. (You have to shell out for this every year). I assume you have a Garmin or access to the files.?

On the question of bandwidth, I found when I started using my Tacx that it contributed hugely to my reaching my cap, a problem I solved by going the uncapped route. I'm using my trainer 3 to 4 hours a week, all on the Google Earth and the multiplayer functions (I find the Catalyst mind numbingly boring), and this was not really do-able for me with an 8gig cap.

Another thing to bear in mind is that you need a relatively quick connection. I was having issues with the Google imagery downloading too slowly, having to wait for the image (sometimes having to stop so the pics could "catch up" with me), and this was very frustrating. Since upgrading to a 4 meg line, this issue is completely solved - though I do find that when my daughter is streaming whilst I am riding I sometimes do pick up the same issue - probably because Mweb are shaping me when this happens.

DISCLAIMER: I am most assuredly NOT an expert. I have however found lots of useful info on the Tacx forums at http://forum.tacx.com/

PS: If anyone has ridden the Tour of Durban route with their Garmin, I would be hugely grateful if you could email the GPS file to me. Please PM me if you can help.

Awesome thanks! It's pretty much what I expected, but I just needed someone to confirm! I don't have uncapped yet, I suppose once I have ditched the DSTV, I'll go that route.

Hope to see you on a "ride" sometime!

omg so is THAT where the dorky guys who cycle hang out? at home? Cos so far I havent met any during races and was starting to think the sport is full of real men *ducks*

I started to read your comment but I got distracted... :whistling:

I bought me the google GPS license now a week ago, wow it is awesome! So I plot my rides on their system. Didnt know you can add your Garmin files in there as it will help me alot, must admit my ride is more enjoyable knowing I am going on a actual route.

So anyone who cycled the Alps...or Mont ventoux?

I bought me the google GPS license now a week ago, wow it is awesome! So I plot my rides on their system. Didnt know you can add your Garmin files in there as it will help me alot, must admit my ride is more enjoyable knowing I am going on a actual route.

So anyone who cycled the Alps...or Mont ventoux?

How much was the licence and how does one go about with the purchase thereof?