Mentality of Some Cyclists

Loupie

Guest Smimby

Exactly, but can you imagine how the motorists will cry if they don't. SA motorists don't seem to understand that riding in the yellow line is a courtesy, not an obligation.

Fully agree, was just stating the "technical" rule.....I find it funny when someone tells cyclist to "obey the law and ride single file" yet they forget to say

Obey the law and don't ride in the yellow lane :whistling:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When riding single file in the yellow lane, 1.5m passing is easy...

When riding 2 abreast, one on the yellow line...makes it a lot more difficult.

I, as a cyclist who used to use this road almost every day, and know exactly what happens on this road, was merely trying to inform them of the dangers, but this has now spiralled into quoting laws, comments on the width of the road, etc.

Looks like a typical Friday on the Hub...

Edited by Loupie

Guest Smimby

I, as a cyclist who used to use this road almost every day, and know exactly what happens on this road, was merely trying to inform them of the dangers, but this has now spiralled into quoting laws, comments on the width of the road, etc.

Looks like a typical Friday on the Hub...

BTW the law is 1M in the western cape not 1.5m....

But either way, you in the car, are 1,5m away from the yellow line, regardless of if the guy is on it or inside it? And in this instance, there is no yellow line.

nowhere is the law 1,5meters, it's just a thing people try to promote.

I think you are reading this incorrectly it says that SA legislation is inconsistent with the laws in other countries which does allow riders to ride two abreast i.e. Riding two abreast is not allowed in SA.

ah, too true. Apologies, used to UK rules.

I think you are reading this incorrectly it says that SA legislation is inconsistent with the laws in other countries which does allow riders to ride two abreast i.e. Riding two abreast is not allowed in SA.

Ah, too true. Apologies, use to UK rules.

If I was on my road bike I would not want to ride on the curb as that is where all the k@k lies that gives me punctures. The cars are more in the wrong if they ride on the inside where there is yellow dots marked out on the road and pass on the inside. As far as I can remember the speed limit on that road is 80km/h thus if the cars drive at 120km/h they are breaking the law more than these two chaps.

Look it's great that you are concerned about the safety of the two riders, and it's never nice to read about a rider being hit/killed but in the end everyone is responsible for their own life. They must make the decision where they want to ride.

I know it is 1m, but the sticker on the back of my car says 1.5m, and that is what I try to do when passing cyclists at 90kph on this road, as this is the distance I would like to be passed...

And as an fyi, the stretch of road where Jevandre Pauls was knocked down is a wider road than this one, with a wider yellow line, and maybe 10km from this exact spot...

If I was on my road bike I would not want to ride on the curb as that is where all the k@k lies that gives me punctures. The cars are more in the wrong if they ride on the inside where there is yellow dots marked out on the road and pass on the inside. As far as I can remember the speed limit on that road is 80km/h thus if the cars drive at 120km/h they are breaking the law more than these two chaps.

Look it's great that you are concerned about the safety of the two riders, and it's never nice to read about a rider being hit/killed but in the end everyone is responsible for their own life. They must make the decision where they want to ride.

Speed limit is 100km/h on that particular stretch...

Speed limit is 100km/h on that particular stretch...

Cool :thumbup:

It's been a while since I last used that road. Damm I miss the Cape!

I drive 90 though as my car is old and unsafe at any speeds above that :-)

I don't know why the OP is complaining about them riding abreast - those bikes are not supposed to be in the emergency lane at all and legally are supposed to be in the roadway - why is he not upset about that?