Review: Momsen Design pre-production carbon fibre fender

Iwan Kemp

Mucky Nutz version does (and looks) the same for about R90.

Doesn't look the same at all, Different profile.

The bends in the Momsen guard will add rigidity plus it's Carbon. For what you'll be getting it's well worth the money IMO!!

I think it looks pretty good, not a bad price for carbon, but plastic would do for me.

Neutral black colour would be my choice.

BTW I like the wheelrim and frame choice!

Thought half of the hub members do not ride in mud, due to wear and tear,haha...

Thankfully, I'm part of the other half! :thumbup:

where's the guard part?

I run a plastic guard over the back portion of the wheel for commuting,( JHB had a very wet feb/march) its probably 100mm longer than that. In spongy and full flow conditions my guard makes a difference, it allows you to wear glasses, but most of the **** hits the bottom third of the guard

The cover and benefit of this guard is very limited. It will only really stop that spray that the wheel throws up and you ride into. I would lengthen it by 50 or so mm and give a little more wrap with a nice flare at the bottom. I like the mounting, Rshox, have less clearance than fox, but it looks pretty

• 1 month later...

Saw this on Victor Momsen's Instagram feed this morning. Mine is still going strong after many miles on the bike. It will be put to test this weekend with all the rain we had and if possible I will take some mud pics for you guys and girls to see.

post-1575-0-09966300-1399616455_thumb.jpg

I see on Victor Momsen's Twitter feed they have 10 SID models available to order.

Edited by Iwan Kemp

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I have been able to put the mudguard through a couple of good mud tests since doing the initial review. I should point out that I'm not after a full-cover mudguard as I don't like the look and feel the extra cover doesn't provide that much extra "cover". As long as I can keep the spray and mud out of my face I'm happy.

For those looking for a mudguard I can highly recommend the Momsen. After all the use it is till in place and 100% secure. There haven't been a need to readjust or secure it again. This is a major positive for me as I am not a fan of having to fiddle with stuff once on a ride or before every other ride.

Cover is what I expected & wanted and in this (pre-production) carbon black it is very understated.

The mudguard hasn't suffered from mud build up to the point where I had to stop to clean and clear it out. This is not to say that it will never happen, but I would imagine that it would need quite a mud-fest before it becomes a problem.

Edited by Iwan Kemp