Absalon reigns supreme at Maritzburg MTB World Cup

News bot

The 2014 UCI MTB World Cup, presented by Shimano, at Cascades MTB Park in Pietermaritzburg came to a thrilling end with the elite men’s cross country final that saw Julien Absalon claim his maiden victory in South Africa.

Click here to view the article

Marco Fontana of BH-Suntour-KMC put in a consistent effort throughout the contest and deservedly claimed third place while a gutsy Schurter eventually crossed the line in sixth position.

Maxime Marotte (BH-Suntour-KMC)

What did happen to my man Marco? going too much, too soon?

He fell a few times. Wasn't his day. He ended up in 26th place.

Was exciting to watch, until that flat changed everything. Results are a reminder of how we are a marathon geskrik country(and europe loves XCO). Our top result was mathys beukes in 50th place.

Europeans take 27 of the top 30 places.

The swiss are insane.They have 14 guys in the top 40, that's kenyan marathon running type of figures.

Was exciting to watch, until that flat changed everything. Results are a reminder of how we are a marathon geskrik country(and europe loves XCO). Our top result was mathys beukes in 50th place.

Europeans take 27 of the top 30 places.

The swiss are insane.They have 14 guys in the top 40, that's kenyan marathon running type of figures.

absolutely - it was setup for an enthralling finish

the fact of the matter is that id people aren't prepared to go out and support our xco riders then what chance or motivation do they really have. Just shows how special burry really was