Cyclists turned away

jeremyd

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is probably 5 other restaurants in the centre. Just go to one of the others. I don't see the issue here. Surely they have the right to decide who they want to have as clients as much as you can decide where you want to spend your money. I see no need to get upset and organise a protest.

Durban based restaurant chain. Been to the one in Umhlanga. Pretty good.

Says on the website Smart Casual so maybe whoever spoke to the OP's wife should have adjusted their attitude a little and pointed out nicely that it is was a smart casual dress code rule for the restaurants partons. Dumb schmuck for alientating the chain of restaurants against cyclists.

Tone leads to most problems. ???????? 1 x attitude adjustment

Edited by Klaus

There is probably 5 other restaurants in the centre. Just go to one of the others. I don't see the issue here. Surely they have the right to decide who they want to have as clients as much as you can decide where you want to spend your money. I see no need to get upset and organise a protest.

You do not understand the "hubbers" man...they rule everything...they will get "even" with the person who turns away cyclists at a coffee shop. Even if it means that the restaurant want to have a more hygienic place for it's non-cycling customer base.

They should look at how Meerendal operates...they have totally embraced the cyclists and their coffee shop pumps in the morning!!! Don't they realize that mountain bikers are generally the type of client they want...someone who is prepared to spend money...I would think that MTB's would be an ideal target market...guess that's why they are so busy in the mornings..not!

Cyclist or not, they shouldn't be turning down anyone. Unfortunately for them one of the guys they turned down was a hubber! After our club rides every saturday morning we have coffee at the wimpy and there doesnt seem to be any problem at all!

They should look at how Meerendal operates...they have totally embraced the cyclists and their coffee shop pumps in the morning!!! Don't they realize that mountain bikers are generally the type of client they want...someone who is prepared to spend money...I would think that MTB's would be an ideal target market...guess that's why they are so busy in the mornings..not!

Yip, cyclists in general represent the "Healthy & Wealthy" section of the market.

It seems to be a no brainer not to welcome them to a shopping centre food joint for breakfast .

Waterfall Estate pushes the fact that it has 37km of mtb trails. A new shopping centre has opened up next to the estate. On Sunday morning at 9am, my wife and daughter rode to the shopping centre for breakfast. They stopped at a new restaurant there called Remo's. As they were about to sit down, a lady who worked there politely told them that they do not serve people dressed in cycling kit. At first my wife thought she was kidding, however, they were in fact deadly serious.

There were only 3 or 4 people sitting there. My take is, if that's the way you want to roll, I'm going to tell everyone I know not to go there. If you open up next to an estate with mtb trails, surely you encourage the clientele or am I being overly sensitive?

Guest Jeanepant

Yip, cyclists in general represent the "Healthy & Wealthy" section of the market.

It seems to be a no brainer not to welcome them to a shopping centre food joint for breakfast .

Based on this thread I'd say cyclists represent the "Entitled Privaleged White" section of the market. It's absolutely their prerogative to turn away cyclists if they don't want people sitting in their restaurant covered in sweat and dirt. The fact that some cyclists deem this unnaceptable is the really disturbing thing. The prevailing attitude seems to be "I'm white and wealthy, how dare you not serve me!"

Edited by Jeanepant

They do the same thing at their Umhlanga Rocks store. No cyclists. They're probably trying to separate themselves from the slip/slop no shirt / torn tee shirt wearing locals / holiday makers on that strip in KZN and the cycling gear got added to the list. Other than the fact that people are talking about it - so it's good for them, perhaps let the free market decide. I don't think they need to do this, especially at Waterfall, for the same reasons they do it in KZN. But today, we have so much choice... Just a note re the KZN store: the food and vibe is really good. [i have no affiliation to them!]

Edited by BENJY Stoch

Based on this thread I'd say cyclists represent the "Entitled Privaleged White" section of the market. It's absolutely their prerogative to turn away cyclists if they don't want people sitting in their restaurant covered in sweat and dirt. The fact that some cyclists deem this unnaceptable is the really disturbing thing. The prevailing attitude seems to be "I'm white and wealthy, how dare you not serve me!"

Great first post! You're going to be real popular here.

I agree absolutely that the restaurant has the right to turn away anyone for any reason, but where does race come into it?

Chip on your shoulder much?

The prevailing attitude seems to be "I'm white and wealthy, how dare you not serve me!"

Why turn it into a racial thing?

My comment was they are turning a section of the market away that can well afford to eat out.

Refuse them service in their cycling attire for breakfast (whilst accepting people in vests) and they will not come for other meals whilst normally dressed - that seems to be bad business sense, as I very much doubt that a table of cyclists with hearty appetites will discourage other customers.

Why turn it into a racial thing?

My comment was they are turning a section of the market away that can well afford to eat out.

Refuse them service in their cycling attire for breakfast (whilst accepting people in vests) and they will not come for other meals whilst normally dressed - that seems to be bad business sense, as I very much doubt that a table of cyclists with hearty appetites will discourage other customers.

Beat me to it!

Great first post! You're going to be real popular here.

I agree absolutely that the restaurant has the right to turn away anyone for any reason, but where does race come into it?

Chip on your shoulder much?

Oh, was that a first post?

I saw a troll and moved on...