Cyclists turned away

jeremyd

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Much ado about nothing IMHO. No more than dented pride and perceived "humiliation". Ultimately it's an establishment's choice whether to serve a particular market (i.e cyclists) or not, to their detriment or advantage.

It is after all their business, quite literally. Why do we as cyclists, or consumers, feel the need to voice our misplaced indignation? The only exceptions would be when such decisions infringed on our civil liberties, or was criminal. Neither is applicable in this instance.

HTFU, get on your fiets and spend your money elsewhere, simple as that. The Hub has become a gathering place for children apparently.

Much ado about nothing IMHO. No more than dented pride and perceived "humiliation". Ultimately it's an establishment's choice whether to serve a particular market (i.e cyclists) or not, to their detriment or advantage.

It is after all their business, quite literally. Why do we as cyclists, or consumers, feel the need to voice our misplaced indignation? The only exceptions would be when such decisions infringed on our civil liberties, or was criminal. Neither is applicable in this instance.

HTFU, get on your fiets and spend your money elsewhere, simple as that. The Hub has become a gathering place for children apparently.

I think you may be missing the point. My wife was not humiliated nor embarrassed (there were only 4 people in the restaurant). I also don't believe "The Hub has become a gathering place for children". The Hub is a network. One of many different ones I belong to. I don't want a "protest" ride, or to phone and make a large booking and to cancel or not pitch (that's just bad manners). I am (now) fully aware of their dress code and that is their CHOICE. I've made a choice that I will not support them. This is my choice. However, when I find something good, I tell my network. When I find something bad or distasteful, I tell my network. If someone gives me great service, I tell my network. If someone gives me bad service, I will tell my network. It's what a network is for. The Hub is part of my cycling network and here is a restaurant that will not serve us. I simply then tell my network. If they choose to go there afterwards, that is their CHOICE. I did pose the question "am I being too sensitive" and perhaps I am, but I felt that to have a restaurant "in a cycling area" (we're not talking Sandton City here) and be turned away because of my cycling kit (my wife's actually), warranted letting my network know.

I think it is unreasonable for people who have just exercised and may be sweaty / covered in mud / stinky / wearing lycra / wearing funny shoes [delete the inapplicable] to believe they have the RIGHT to enter an EATING establishment without any regard for the other patrons.

I do not want to sit in a restaurant next to a guy who's just come out the gym / off the rugby field / finished a quick 10k run.

Honestly, is it that hard to show some consideration for others or must the whole planet bend to the will of a few self-righteous individuals?

Does the centre's management have a set of guidelines for dress code they enforce on restaurants in the shopping centre?

Smart Casual - Roadie Under Dressed - MTBer?

This is how I tend to atire myself before a ride to the local food and beverage establishment. I think you'll find that is smart and not in the least bit casual.

I make an effort. Up your game people if you want to be let in.

LS%20SkinsuitPEEWEE(Front)_web.jpg?itok=EUqiksQJ

Edited by hellocolour

There are more and more cycle friendly places opening. You don't get much more upmarket than Constantia and Bike Plus has opened a great coffee shop and bike store all in one next to Greens. Bike racks outside and kit to browse when your are bored. Then again Constantia is full of horses and flies so a few sweaty cyclists isn't a problem...:-)

Some cyclists probably peed the manager/owner off.

Or perhaps someone sold the owner a fake bike ;)

Edited by Gen

but I felt that to have a restaurant "in a cycling area" (we're not talking Sandton City here) and be turned away because of my cycling kit (my wife's actually), warranted letting my network know.

I live in the area and I for one am grateful for the heads up.

respect, i have it for other peoples property.

If my ass is stinky, full of mud i will not sit on a piece of furniture, not even my own at home.

I have been to a mugg and bean post ride, but the specific one is frequented by cyclists as there is a cycle shop in the centre that has post ride coffee there over a weekend. The amount of money said cyclists group bring into the mugg is substantial. It is also in quite an affluent area, and thee a some milfs that like to ogle at the odd banana in a cycling tight... (just kidding)

Common sense should be engaged. ( a tall order i know.)

In the case of the OP, i think the manner in which the message came across is flawed.

Edited away...

Apologies, not getting sucked into a bloody race related argument.

Edited by ByronH

Dear Jeanepant

Please rather spell your name Jeanpant. Its how we Entitled Priviledged Whites would prefer it to be spelt.

Looks like we won't be going to Chesa Nyama after rides :whistling:

The price we pay for cycling clothes we should be considerd formal wear! LOL :whistling:

Have you SEEN what a decent pair of rugby boots costs these days?

I am wearing mine to the next restaurant I visit... :whistling:

Have you SEEN what a decent pair of rugby boots costs these days?

I am wearing mine to the next restaurant I visit... :whistling:

I made a mayor's necklace from all my race medals....wear it to work on mondays :clap: