Review: Smoove Chain Lubricant

Batmanza

I was recently given a bottle of Smoove chain lube to try out while I was training for the Cape Epic, this is a locally made product by Spoke Works in Pretoria. I am told that the guys at Spoke Works have been working on this for a few years to get the product refined and working to their satisfaction.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear, always nice buying local.

Yea, I was very skeptical because it is supposed to last at least 100km of mtb / dirt and dust. And trues nelly, it does just that...everytime I apply.

Also, and this is a biggie....its doesnt cake your jockey wheels or cassette like other wax lubricants.

Yea, I was very skeptical because it is supposed to last at least 100km of mtb / dirt and dust. And trues nelly, it does just that...everytime I apply.

Also, and this is a biggie....its doesnt cake your jockey wheels or cassette like other wax lubricants.

Did you have any problem with dust sticking to it?

Did you have any problem with dust sticking to it?

Nope, but then again I apply the night before a ride and its seems to go into the chain...you?

I rode with this on my chain for the first 80kms of the 36One. My bike was uncannily quiet, so much so that I was able to hear other things making a noise (headset, BB etc.). My joy ended when the lube guy at checkpoint 1 got hold of my bike - 10kms later my drive train was making a racket.

Definitely going to give this a go, even if I have to lube the chain the night before (I'm very much a last minute chain luber).

I rode with this on my chain for the first 80kms of the 36One. My bike was uncannily quiet, so much so that I was able to hear other things making a noise (headset, BB etc.). My joy ended when the lube guy at checkpoint 1 got hold of my bike - 10kms later my drive train was making a racket.

Definitely going to give this a go, even if I have to lube the chain the night before (I'm very much a last minute chain luber).

I think this is key....but if you do apply right, its really great stuff.

When i first saw it, i thought "oh great, repackaged squirt". Then i had a chat with Ruaan, the owner/producer of it. He gave a long explanation on how he developed it and over a few years, he finally had a product he was happy with. I was still skeptical till i tested it out. Great in dry conditions, it applies very nicely and for a dry lube it works surprisingly well in muddy conditions .I used it at the Tygervalley MTB 70KM which was really muddy and it worked well, even after being submerged completely in the first 15km at the river crossing. Have used it on the roadbike too with great results. It must be applied the night before for best results, i tried 5 minutes before a ride and didnt work too well.Great local product and would recommend it as well.

Edited by backtrail

Nope, but then again I apply the night before a ride and its seems to go into the chain...you?

I've found that if you apply'n'ride it clogs up RD wheels.

If you apply it properly (the night before to let it dry) it doesn't gather much crud.

Great product!

I've found that if you apply'n'ride it clogs up RD wheels.

If you apply it properly (the night before to let it dry) it doesn't gather much crud.

Great product!

Good to know..shot D :thumbup: