Review: Smoove Chain Lubricant

Batmanza

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, but then again I apply the night before a ride and its seems to go into the chain...you?

Have not tried it yet, that why I was wondering if it was an issue. I like the look of it.

Suppose I should ask the guys who make it, but does anyone know if there are plans to get some down to the shops in Cape Town?

Suppose I should ask the guys who make it, but does anyone know if there are plans to get some down to the shops in Cape Town?

keen to hear as well.

so I am going to add the argument of wax vs oil based lubricants..I have always been an advocate for oil based lubricants and steer well clear of wax based lubricants as they serve to disperse dirt and mud as opposed to actually lubricating. oils of course lubricate but the downside is they tend to carry grit into the chain more easily than wax based lubricants (although they still do too) so you have to clean the chain regularly

What I have learnt over the years is that oils lubricate better IF you clean your chain regularly..which I do..I have never had a broken chain

Edited by Stretch

Sounds good, how much is it?

Hopefully under the typical R750 or more per liter for bicycle chain lube

Hey, CycleLab in Tokai has stock.

I'm still looking for that clever engineer who can prove that dry lubricants actually lubricate !!!!. For anything to lubricate, it must be in a fluid state for it to flow in and out of the rotating surfaces (chain links and rollers) once the solvent eavaporates the so called lubricant becomes a solid mass, and as soon as pressure is applied it is pushed out from between the rotating surfaces and cannot flow back when the pressure is released.

If dry lubricants were so fantastic then why isn't it used on chain drives in industrial applications.

Its all marketing BS, making insane amounts of money on a product that actually cost very little to manufacture.

Proper oil as a lubricant cannot be beaten, yes you will have to clean your drive train more often but it will last a lot longer.

Rather spend your money on a good chain cleaning method than a stupid lubricant that cannot and does'nt work

I'm still looking for that clever engineer who can prove that dry lubricants actually lubricate !!!!. For anything to lubricate, it must be in a fluid state for it to flow in and out of the rotating surfaces (chain links and rollers) once the solvent eavaporates the so called lubricant becomes a solid mass, and as soon as pressure is applied it is pushed out from between the rotating surfaces and cannot flow back when the pressure is released.

If dry lubricants were so fantastic then why isn't it used on chain drives in industrial applications.

Its all marketing BS, making insane amounts of money on a product that actually cost very little to manufacture.

Proper oil as a lubricant cannot be beaten, yes you will have to clean your drive train more often but it will last a lot longer.

Rather spend your money on a good chain cleaning method than a stupid lubricant that cannot and does'nt work

See my post above... I agree 100%.. when those blokes at sani water tables rock up with squirt bottles I politely tell them to go away

really interesting to see all these positive comments. id read about it and thought it sounded good. i cleaned my chain really thoroughly and applied it as directed the night before the epic prologue. within 40 minutes my chain was squeaking like it was bone dry which it was. I've tried it again since and same thing. I'm wondering if i should apply more than directed and see if that works coz so far I've found it crap.

really interesting to see all these positive comments. id read about it and thought it sounded good. i cleaned my chain really thoroughly and applied it as directed the night before the epic prologue. within 40 minutes my chain was squeaking like it was bone dry which it was. I've tried it again since and same thing. I'm wondering if i should apply more than directed and see if that works coz so far I've found it crap.

You found it crap because all dry lubes are just that !! A can of Castrol is all you need and it will last you for years

See my post above... I agree 100%.. when those blokes at sani water tables rock up with squirt bottles I politely tell them to go away

I do the same, then pull out my mini SQUIRT bottle filled with GTX and a bit of chainsaw oil lube up and i'm good to go for the next 50km wet or dry conditions.