TOKAI CRASH MONDAY 21/4/14

varkie2

Well done to all that helped , makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside to read about how you guys banded together to get him down safely. And to the "crazy 60 year old " hang in there and get better quickly - hopefully see you back on the trail sometime !!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, good luck with recovery, heal quickly! I know that exact spot too, I've been away about 3 weeks and came flying down there 3 days ago, cause last time I rode that it was an easy hop to get over...this time, I think I reached that ultimate OTB angle from which you can recover! Very close call! Line choice has to be spot on going down those rocks.

Wow Rolf,

That's hectic. Shame man, I hope the op goes well and he recovers. Is your dad Peter???

"Hats off" to all the guys and girls who helped him off the mountain. Such a pity Tokai (and or all of San Parks) don't have the access/funds to be Helivac'd off the mountain here.

Choppers all waiting or at forest fires.....??

...and Hats off to your Dad ("crazy 60 year old") who was out there, on single track, mind you, giving it horns on his bike.-"We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding!"

Please post up dates as I'd really like to hear how he is doing.

Cheers, Joe.

Wow Rolf,

That's hectic. Shame man, I hope the op goes well and he recovers. Is your dad Peter???

"Hats off" to all the guys and girls who helped him off the mountain. Such a pity Tokai (and or all of San Parks) don't have the access/funds to be Helivac'd off the mountain here.

Choppers all waiting or at forest fires.....??

...and Hats off to your Dad ("crazy 60 year old") who was out there, on single track, mind you, giving it horns on his bike.-"We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding!"

Please post up dates as I'd really like to hear how he is doing.

Cheers, Joe.

AFAIK there are very few medically equipped choppers in the Cape Region... They're all outsourced to private healthcare providers who can afford to keep them running. So if they were being dispatched elsewhere, or on maintenance, then they would not have been available. And getting a spinal injury patient down from there in an ambulance (via the dirt road) is not really advisable. Mountain Rescue would generally do that, afaik.

But agreed - there need to be more available for any situation.

I took a tumble there last Friday as well.

Front wheel got caught and I went over the bars. Luckily I fell in between the rocks on 'softer' ground, with no damage done apart from a bruised ego.

Right after the rock section there is a rock in the middle of the path angled towards any rider going over the bars. I missed it by luck, now someone was not so lucky. Its placement is seriously dangerous as we saw here.

Hope he heals and all the best!

Edited by vdLRSA

Best wishes to your Dad - hope he heals up well. There are a few 60 plus guys who whip many younger guys asses in the enduros so 60 is nothing.

That section on mamba is deceptive - its best ridden with a little speed and line choice is everything. The last thing you need is to focus on the one rock that will catch you out... A longer travel bike with a high front end also helps...

An uplifting tale and hopefully with a happy ending. MTB'ers are generally great to others.

I'm 60 odd and crashed properly in a small race in Feb (c/bone, ribs, punctured lung) and the other riders were great (10/10) and I am very appreciative. Two stopped immediately and stayed with me. A doc stopped to check. No ambulance, the sweep picked me up in a bakkie; not so lekker (2/10) but eventually got home and to hospital. Docs, nurses, family and friends were hugely supportive and positive. Now looking to Sani.

All the best to your Dad

Re available choppers, it depends on who is phoned in these cases. I forget the names but the two main groups are linked to their own choppers. So I went to see EMT in Plumstead to setup a system where, if they were the respondents, they would be able to contact either group to make use of the 1st available chopper. They have this cornered because they have no affiliation to a hospital group, they operate as freelancers with the right to use either of the main group's facilities.

EMT!

0860 EMT EMT

Right after the rock section there is a rock in the middle of the path angled towards any rider going over the bars.

Yep, the one pointed out below. Pretty easy to get caught out by it...

Yes yes, I know I forgot to clip my water hose in!

post-3655-0-64690500-1398244528_thumb.jpg

I took a tumble there last Friday as well.

Front wheel got caught and I went over the bars. Luckily I fell in between the rocks on 'softer' ground, with no damage done apart from a bruised ego.

Right after the rock section there is a rock in the middle of the path angled towards any rider going over the bars. I missed it by luck, now someone was not so lucky. Its placement is seriously dangerous as we saw here.

Hope he heals and all the best!

Your fall was at a different spot, sounds like this happened at the earlier, bigger/steeper, section.

That said it is a dangerous sport and any fall anywhere can end badly.

Yep, the one pointed out below. Pretty easy to get caught out by it...

Yes yes, I know I forgot to clip my water hose in!

post-3655-0-64690500-1398244528_thumb.jpg

i for one have come off in a section similar to this on shale rock , i choose to dismount everytime i go pass there since that ...... :blush: Once bitten.......

Wishing your Dad a speedy recovery

I actually commented to Porqui when we road last week, as to just how dodgy that little rocky section is getting. I sometimes fly down there, and all you need is one rock and its game over and a long fall.

Mamba has not weathered through the summer very well.

Wishing a speedy recover.