TOKAI CRASH MONDAY 21/4/14

varkie2

It does doesnt it.

I have taken many photos of obstacles that looked like the side of a cliff to me at the time only for them to look like the mildest gradient when I show the picture to anybody.

I know! It's actually a pretty gnarly runout, I got some air over the crest and very nearly smashed my front wheel right into that rock when landing, the line is quite narrow through there...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know! It's actually a pretty gnarly runout, I got some air over the crest and very nearly smashed my front wheel right into that rock when landing, the line is quite narrow through there...

that's exactly what unnerves me a bit. going slightly offline and nosing into a rock smack bang in the middle of the line. it should be removed or levelled off as its only protruding more and more as the soil around it is disappearing.

Yeah. Haven't hit it at speed yet (only rode it for the first time since my self imposed injury on Friday) and it looks worse than it is. But yeah - it is super narrow. No room for error. Both the upper and lower lines are KAAAAK slow, and that upturned rock is smack bang in the middle of the proper line. And it's not exactly a friendly rock...

My father in law came off on Monday up on one of the single tracks in tokai. Firstly thank you to the couple who phoned us off my dads phone. (hope you are reading this). You were a great help. Then the guy with the specialized stumpjumper expert HT (he lives in Tokai). Thank you for staying with him till I got there and stayed on and rode with me down. Just some news on my dad (crazy fearless 60 year old). He broke his neck, two of the vertebrae in his lower neck broke, one broke badly and VERY almost paralyzed him as seen on CT scan..... He is being operated on tomorrow morning. They are fusing the vertebrae that are affected. THANK YOU for your help in a huge way!. Hope to see you out there again.

Rolf

True hardman! Hope he recovers soon.

Hi Joe, yes Peter is my father in law. I will keep you posted. Seems like his spirits is high. He said this morning "he has a very busy day ahead of him counting all the dots on the ceiling" in his hospital bed since he is all braced up.

Thanx for all the well wishes. I will carry it over to him.

Wow, so it is the same Peter. -Because, you don't hear of too many people 'breaking their necks "everyday..." (Thank Goodness..)

I was meant to ride with him today! Yikes!! Please wish him all the best. Speedy recovery and all that jazz.

High Spirits is where you want to keep him right now.... but he sounds like the guy who will be back!! Tell him to keep counting them 'lucky stars' on the ceiling...

Edited by Joe Fish

• 3 weeks later...

From my Dad...

Thanks to all the people that helped particularly Cass from Camps Bay and Sue from the UK who were first on the scene and stayed with me for an hour and a half. They were training for the Joburg to C I trust that it went well for them. Thanks to the Lakeside Fire Dept and to the Parks Board staff who were also magnificent. Thanks to everyone else that helped. According to the doctor it was a miracle that I got to the hospital without being paralysed with two of my neck vertebrae being broken in half. I now have a neck fusion and two months in bed to let everything heal but at least all my body parts are working.

Advice to people in similar situations- don’t ride beyond your competency- I was but it is fun! Don’t move if you think you may have a spine or neck injury you cannot fix it once its broken. Take a cell phone and know where you are riding.

And lastly I give thanks to Jesus Christ who comforted me through the entire ordeal and gives me peace.

Peter Lord (neck breaker).

Heal up soon bru!

Things can happen so quick when you least expect it, those microseconds of "hey I wonder how much this is going to hurt" then a few hours later it's all braced up with HD pain killers and no bike for a few weeks or months.

Tokia is a maneater, oe's have tasted the dragon quite seriously numerous times over the lasts year or so?

Yeah. Haven't hit it at speed yet (only rode it for the first time since my self imposed injury on Friday) and it looks worse than it is. But yeah - it is super narrow. No room for error. Both the upper and lower lines are KAAAAK slow, and that upturned rock is smack bang in the middle of the proper line. And it's not exactly a friendly rock...

Could one of you guys then please move the rock?

Edit: dig it out....would have loved to help but its a bit far for me to travel.....

Edited by Gerhard Odendaal