Bike fitting: Handlebar choice

Cycle_Fit

Being one of the major contact points on a bicycle it is important have the correct shape and size of handlebar setup correctly for you. In this article we explore different options of handlebars, and how you can make this selection work for you.

Click here to view the article

What about upsweep, backsweep and rise on MTB bars? Width isn't everything.

Is this gonna be one of those "size isn't everything" discussions?

:whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Is this gonna be one of those "size isn't everything" discussions?

:whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Nope. Its a valid question. I want to know how it affects bike fit.

Nope. Its a valid question. I want to know how it affects bike fit.

Agreed! Would also like to know. as i see super wide bars without barends but myself prefer barends with a 3deg backsweep. these days its all 9deg sweep and WIDE.

I would also appreciate some feedback regarding the effect that stem length and angle/degree have on fit and handling.

thanks.

"Have your shoulder width measured from outer to outer, using the boney extrusion as a point of reference. This will give you a good idea of where to start when selecting the right width of handlebar. Using this measurement you can now determine what width of handlebar will work best for you as well as the type of position you are trying to achieve relative to the terrain you are riding."

OK, so how do you use the shoulder width measurement to arrive at a bar width measurement?

Hi all,

The guys at CycleFit are putting together a follow up article on some the intricacies of handlebar selection based on many of the comments and questions here, e.g. the effect of rise and sweep, more on width, etc.

If you have any handlebar related questions you'd like addressed in the follow up please post them here.

"Have your shoulder width measured from outer to outer, using the boney extrusion as a point of reference. This will give you a good idea of where to start when selecting the right width of handlebar. Using this measurement you can now determine what width of handlebar will work best for you as well as the type of position you are trying to achieve relative to the terrain you are riding."

OK, so how do you use the shoulder width measurement to arrive at a bar width measurement?

For road riding, this is true. For MTB you want to be as open in the chest as possible without compromising position. THerefore - WIIIIIDE!!

This may be off-topic but would grip diameter/circumference play a role - in comfort, handling etc?

yes. That's why grips are such a personal choice.

I agree but I am trying to grasp the interplay between rider size/width, frame size/geometry, bar width/sweep/rise and stem length/angle.

Unfortunately, I do not possess a PhD, so the answer - even if correct - will probably still mystify me.

The above is of greater importance to me, as I have a back that's properly stuffed and an incorrect set-up causes me excruciating pain within 90mins.