In for a shock!

Eddie Stafford

I think it is normal ,my lefty fork for my cannondale had the same broblem and it cost R1860.00

You need to add more context ... just saying you think it is normal as you had your lefty serviced for a big wad of cash does not carry weight.

What was done to your lefty for so many Z.A.R's?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this time last year i paid R1500 for for RS Sid fork and Fox Float rear suspension to be serviced...that included transport to cape town and back for the fox...think you have been dealt a low blow

I just send my Brain in for a service at CycleFunatics, the quote reads +- R1200, I'm gonna flip if the figure doubles... But it's the same with a car service...but there they quadruple the figures.

Thank you, this has now been resolved.

After the comments I phoned the bike shop and it turned out that the DT Swiss service was R 950 and the shop’s mark up was 35% (R 500)! I told them that it was ridiculous and the guy then spoke to his boss and they reduced their mark up to R 100. So I just received their new invoice for a total of R 1,050. All well!

A 35% mark up is R332.50. They charged you over 50% mark up!

Guest Smimby

I just send my Brain in for a service at CycleFunatics, the quote reads +- R1200, I'm gonna flip if the figure doubles... But it's the same with a car service...but there they quadruple the figures.

Fork or shock? Got my shock back last week firm them R955 all in.

As a newbie to mtb how the hell does a fork service cost that much? I replaced the 2 front shocks on my corolla 2012 an that came upto a grand total of R2100 including wheel alignment.

I think Its pretty disgusting of your bike shop to try and casually charge you R500 as a handling fee.

But now you know in future not to trust them.

Exactly how can they charge R500 for merely passing it on to the agent??? disgusting.

thank goodness there is not a thing on my bike that i cant fix or service myself.

Jeez, my LBS never charges mark up on stuff like that.

That shop tried to rip you one, please name them so that we would know not to go there.

I think it is shocking that after you first being given a R700 odd figure for the repairs, they did not come back to you for confirmation to proceed with a service that would be nearly double the quote.

Ja. I agree. I hate it when people do work without prior approval

Off topic - whats the cycling scene like in Mauritius ?

Hot, humid, sometimes very wet and muddy singletrack through indigenous bush or farm plantations with some lekker climbs to great views of the island......the scenery is picture perfect ;-).

(no side shoulder on tar roads so can be a bit scary while cycling in traffic)

Hot, humid, sometimes very wet and muddy singletrack through indigenous bush or farm plantations with some lekker climbs to great views of the island......the scenery is picture perfect ;-).

(no side shoulder on tar roads so can be a bit scary while cycling in traffic)

Plus the odd tropical cyclone in summer...... but otherwise great!!

On a serious note, it really gets to me what cycling repairs set people back.

I know not everyone is inclined to do their own maintance, but 29er hardtail, tool kit and internet instructions off manufacturers websites are the way forward.... Even with fork services.. Go get a 5w and 15w yamalube fork oil from the local motorbike dealer. Download the Rockshox service instructions and off you go..

Theres a lady that works for me who loves mtb, but jees, i cringe when i see what the shops rip her just about every month... i just tell her to leave the bike with me every once in a while... its madness... Also, shops dont educate people about replacing your chain before everything is worn.... they leave custormers to run the same chain for many muddy miles and then sting them with a couple of grand bill for cassette, chain and chainrings.... change you chain 2 or 3 times a year and you will run the same cassette and rings for 3-4 years....

Fork or shock? Got my shock back last week firm them R955 all in.

No, it's the fork.

Edited by Marius

Off topic - whats the cycling scene like in Mauritius ?

Skott5, from Oct to Apr the tracks, mostly sugarcane fields can get very wet, but once you know the routes it is not a problem. This time of the year is the best for cycling off road. Unfortunately the best areas are fenced off and belong to private people, mostly hunting farms (they should about 3000 deer a year) and you can’t get access to them. We have about 10 local off road races a year and there is normally a turn-out of up to 60 riders. Our weekly ride (Black River) consists of between 5 and 20 riders. I think road cycling is a bit bigger, there is the Tour of Mauritius every year and also the Deutsche Bank challenge (100 km), which is the “Argus” of Mauritius every October.

The biggest international race is the Omnicane Southern Tropical Challenge held at the end of October every year (about 100 teams). I have done it the last two years and it is a fantastic 4 day stage race. Highly recommended and land owners opens their farms so you get access to areas you don’t otherwise see. The last day run along the sea in the south coast and finishes on the beach. See for details and photos. http://www.mtb-mauritius.com/en .

I see you are in KZN, if you paddle surfskis then there is also the fantastic Mauritius Ocean Classic, the first weekend in July. http://www.mauritiusoceanclassic.com/

These guys are pulling the ring out of this fork and shock servicing thing. Reatail price for oil and seals is about R250-350, which itself is a bit of a rip off for a couple of o rings, fibre washers and a small quantity of hydraulic oil. If you are getting this stuff wholesale then it has to be less. So go figure.

Rather learn to do it yourself... the worst part of the process is draining the oil and washing the parts..