So It seems cyclists (MTB & Road ) knobs.

nicbez

If they were coming out of the cradle, it's an easy mistake to make. The cradle is an area where you can ride like that, and so you get comfortable with it.

They do need to think a lot more about what they're doing.

But at the end of the day, they made the choice!

And so the bantering starts. If you look at the heading it states that ( cyclist road and mtb are knobs). If you read some of the previous topics mtbers are blaming roadies and vice versa for the attitude motorist have against cyclist. This photos shows that we are all the same. Regarding the road, yes it is a bad road to travel on like that and yes the cars don't give a **** about us. Unfortunately it is one of the only ways to get to the Cradle coming from Clearwater side.

Let me get this straight;:

- so cyclists are supposed to ride in the road. But because motorists are impatient f*cks who think the road belongs to them only, it is too dangerous;

- therefore, cyclists ride in the yellow lane (where they and motorists are not supposed to ride) to avoid the wrath of these motorists;

- now you get upset about them not letting vehicles through in the yellow lane or about ONE of them riding in the road where he is actually supposed to be riding, but can't because of the shitty attitude of South African drivers?

Did you actually stop to think of what you were saying before putting fingers to keyboard? I think not.

In the civilised world, cyclists ride in the road (even two abreast!) and motorists treat them like other road users, give them space and overtake when safe to do so.

You post is totally screwballed...

Sorry if I'm a bit doff, but are cyclists really meant to ride in the road?

edit: outside of the yellow line.

Edited by heyyou

yaawwwnnnn, every time I read one of these threads I wonder if there'll be someone who makes some of the usual mandatory comments like, "let them kill themselves" or "you're no better for using a phone/camera in circumstances like that" and all the rest of them roasting and defending the OP and every time I wonder if the OP has every read one of these - Stupid Cyclist/Roadie threads.

FFS, if you gonna ask for support when complaining about the behavior of cyclists, I recommend going on to a motoring forum. You could also ride up to the offenders and let them know how you feel :D :D :D , but we know that cyclists are never wrong and given the opposing views you're likely to encounter (ie. yours vs. theirs), you're bound to get into a heated exchange.

The other day I almost hit a guy on a bike when he skipped a red light while I was on my way to the gym and I considered turning around crapping on him, I even considered that I would tell him I was a cyclist and that I was on his side. But then it occurred to me that I was surely not the first person to let this guy know that skipping a red, even at 05h00 was not a good idea. I'm also sure that he's heard of people getting knocked off theirs bikes and killed or maimed. So I had to question what good my little talking to would do, even if I was a fellow cyclist.

I think the problem is not so much the bike one rides, as the pic here clearly shows, but the person on the bike. It could also be these guy's parents for not teaching them properly, the bike shop that sold them the bikes should also have warned them. Perhaps they should have collectively policed themselves? Maybe they've never read The Hub? Did they at least greet you when they passed, please tell me they greeted you?

Look after yourselves, eventually these idiots will be taken care of by Darwin, if not on the bike during the course of the rest of their careless lives, and we'll all be left with responsible and polite cyclists both on the road and on the trail.

Sorry if I'm a bit doff, but are cyclists really meant to ride in the road? edit: outside of the yellow line.

Law states that driving/riding is to be on the right of the yellow line - to the left of the yellow line is the "emergency lane"

Law also states that you may not use a cell phone while in control of a vehicle (includes bicycle) unless you have a hands free kit. - law also says that both hands must be on the handlebar at all times.

Those cyclists are in breech of the law because they are on the wrong side of the lellow line.

I would not have issue with them for riding next to each other where they are riding. If it's safe for them thats a different issue. But then you could be riding single track - fall and break your neck like last Monday in Tokai - it's stupid to ride there as it is not safe and then you nogal go and do it on your own - now that's stupid.

We need to ride safe but we also need to chill.

Let me get this straight;:

- so cyclists are supposed to ride in the road. But because motorists are impatient f*cks who think the road belongs to them only, it is too dangerous;

- therefore, cyclists ride in the yellow lane (where they and motorists are not supposed to ride) to avoid the wrath of these motorists;

- now you get upset about them not letting vehicles through in the yellow lane or about ONE of them riding in the road where he is actually supposed to be riding, but can't because of the shitty attitude of South African drivers?

Did you actually stop to think of what you were saying before putting fingers to keyboard? I think not.

In the civilised world, cyclists ride in the road (even two abreast!) and motorists treat them like other road users, give them space and overtake when safe to do so.

You post is totally screwballed...

LOL!! Well stated, the sad part is look at everyone jumping onto the "HUB Flamming band wagon", obviously no cooking clue about the road rules & laws, pathetic. Edited by milky4130

Law states that driving/riding is to be on the right of the yellow line - to the left of the yellow line is the "emergency lane"

Law also states that you may not use a cell phone while in control of a vehicle (includes bicycle) unless you have a hands free kit. - law also says that both hands must be on the handlebar at all times.

Those cyclists are in breech of the law because they are on the wrong side of the lellow line.

I would not have issue with them for riding next to each other where they are riding. If it's safe for them thats a different issue. But then you could be riding single track - fall and break your neck like last Monday in Tokai - it's stupid to ride there as it is not safe and then you nogal go and do it on your own - now that's stupid.

We need to ride safe but we also need to chill.

Correction - one hand. By law you will need at least one hand free to be able to signal ;)

There's an awesome saying:

"It was his right of way, it surely was, but he's just as dead as if it wasn't"

This is not to say that the laws aren't hard and fast, and should be disregarded; but be aware that following the law alone does not protect you from the raging idiot who doesn't follow the law - I wish I had eyes in the back of my head sometimes!

Why don't we at least try be courteous - it's the least we can do to make ourselves less of a target for road rage-induced motorists.

Edited by thoughtforfood

p.s.

Just in case my post comes across as "obey the laws you want," I am a robot stopper. I ride road to work everyday and rolling with traffic legally has given me the fewest issues.

I can imagine jumping lights at 7h30 crossing Louis Botha might not end well for me :eek:

For the same reason, I also ride within any yellow line. Though down Club Road in Linksfield you have to be careful of the school kid run where mom's taxis (and regular taxis) fly up these lanes!

Riding back from the Cradle this morning I rode behind this lot. All the way up form Muldersdrift down Hendrik Potgieter.

Why did you not do your turn at the front???

Bottom line some people are idiots. Some ride like shmucks on te road( bikes and cars) other make snotty comments on the hub.

post-5386-1398616413,3561.jpg

i love it, good illustration however the law is the law & that argument unfortunately won't stand up in court should You try & dispute your fine.

I dont train just ride my bike and look for things to jump and rail along the way.... so maybe thats why my mindset is to ride on the road as little as possible.. SEEN as im on a mtb..

If its not a busy main road pavement and theres single track like in the photo on the side.. then that's where youll find me rather then playing in traffic... not even a thought.

i see it every morning in traffic either linksfield or near bird sanctuary melrose.. guys on 120mm plus mtb's ,with plush ST on the side rather taking the car route.. i dont get it... spose its the sk8ter in me always looking for lines to ride amongst the city obstacles..which is also ST. :thumbup:

As for road riding id prob stick to track if i was into skinny bikes.. rekon thats how you stay alive..or leave it to races .. idk..

Edited by 2Nutz