Pretoria Riding Buddies

DieVlieg

Hi

I am looking for people to ride with in Pretoria, especially the east. During the week I usually start 04:30 or 05:00 and ride 2 hours or 1.5 hours until 06:30.

Weekends I usually try to ride for 4 or 5 hours on Saturday or Sunday.

Weekends I try to be adventurous in the routes I ride and during the week I stick to the road and it is all for training.

I cycle on a Mountain Bike and on the road I try to maintain 25km/h.

Alex

Ok, I had one ride through this topic with someone on Saturday. I will keep this thread alive for some time to see if I can bring together a few Pretorian lonesome riders to form a pool of riders that can get to know each other and go for rides. At this stage I do not think this will turn into a regular group ride wit set time.

If interested contact me or post to the thread. I went riding with someone not at the same pace as myself and did not mind at all.

Alex

Ok, I had one ride through this topic with someone on Saturday. I will keep this thread alive for some time to see if I can bring together a few Pretorian lonesome riders to form a pool of riders that can get to know each other and go for rides. At this stage I do not think this will turn into a regular group ride wit set time.

If interested contact me or post to the thread. I went riding with someone not at the same pace as myself and did not mind at all.

Alex

What is very important for this to work is to mention where you normally start your rides from , where you ride and some ideas of days and times also help . :whistling:

I'm keen to do some rides in the mornings. Based in Hatfield. Lets see if we can refine some of the details.

Hey Alex - we live in the East of Pretoria (Moreleta Area) and will be training for Ironman in Kona through winter. Most of our week rides are on the indoor trainer, but weekends will definitely be the 4-5hours you are looking at. Might be a bit fast for you on the MTB unfortunately (we aim for around a 30kph average) but you're welcome to join if you want....

@Orbit. Hi I stay in Monument park and from me the best would be if I ride past Brooklyn mall and into Jan Shoba / Duncan street. I am sure we will be able to hook up there round about 05:00. We will be able to cover the area around Brooklyn, Groenkloof, Hatfield and Klapperkop. Depending where we part I need 15 to 30 mins to get home at 06:30. I normally start 04:30. As I mentioned my goal is to ride two hours in total at +- 25km/h depending on terrain. Going faster on my MTB is a challenge for me at this stage.

On weekends Saturdays are the best but Sundays are not imposible. I am Normally flexible but it is better to start sometimes in the morning as as the risk of being tempted to have a beer or too much to eat is eliminated.

Edited by alexander.lombard

@Orbit. Hi I stay in Monument park and from me the best would be if I ride past Brooklyn mall and into Jan Shoba / Duncan street. I am sure we will be able to hook up there round about 05:00. We will be able to cover the area around Brooklyn, Groenkloof, Hatfield and Klapperkop. Depending where we part I need 15 to 30 mins to get home at 06:30. I normally start 04:30. As I mentioned my goal is to ride two hours in total at +- 25km/h depending on terrain. Going faster on my MTB is a challenge for me at this stage.

4:30 in the morning ? :eek:

@Andymann, I do not have indoor equipment at the moment. I look like slick layered idiot and is braving the elements. I want a road bike but my pregnant wife will lock me out after the first ride if I spend more money on cycling...lol But I will contact you maybe following you guys for just a few kilometers might just help me improve my average. I sometimes do this by chasing some of the roadies from a distance.

Hey Alex - we live in the East of Pretoria (Moreleta Area) and will be training for Ironman in Kona through winter. Most of our week rides are on the indoor trainer, but weekends will definitely be the 4-5hours you are looking at. Might be a bit fast for you on the MTB unfortunately (we aim for around a 30kph average) but you're welcome to join if you want....

Hi Gents (and Ladies)

After seeing his third bicycle accident in town, my son came up with the idea of providing a safe parking place on our secure plot (an old farm school) for those who want to START their rides on the relative tranquility of the Boschkop road (Pretoria East). We have identified routes from 10, 22, 32, 45, 50, 72 kms to over a 100 kms that can be used by road and / or MTB, in the surrounding areas. As very social riders, we have not been able to confirm the longer routes - we would need help there! We have just opened on Saturdays and Sundays from 07:00 to 12:00.

Maybe you can use this as a meeting point to start some of your cycles? (although it looks as though we may have to open earlier... :w00t: )

Any comments?

Hi Gents (and Ladies)

After seeing his third bicycle accident in town, my son came up with the idea of providing a safe parking place on our secure plot (an old farm school) for those who want to START their rides on the relative tranquility of the Boschkop road (Pretoria East). We have identified routes from 10, 22, 32, 45, 50, 72 kms to over a 100 kms that can be used by road and / or MTB, in the surrounding areas. As very social riders, we have not been able to confirm the longer routes - we would need help there! We have just opened on Saturdays and Sundays from 07:00 to 12:00.

Maybe you can use this as a meeting point to start some of your cycles? (although it looks as though we may have to open earlier... :w00t: )

Any comments?

That is a very good idea. I will definitely make use of it in the future. I do not know that area too much and would love to go riding there with someone who can show me around.

Alex

I am doing 3 early rides this week. Please contact me if you want to come with. I can meet you anywhere from Rooihuiskraal to Hatfield but preferably closer to Monument Park if we actually want to spend time riding together.

I'll send you my contact details or give you a call if you are interested. Please inbox.

Alex

Anyone in for a ride this weekend? Any time is fine with me but Saturday will be best. I want to do 80% dirt with a good amount of climbing involved. The ride must be at least 4 to 5 hours long and cover 80 km. I can set up the route or I am up for any suggestions.