Cradle MTB route details

W1Z@RD

Hi guys,

Can anybody tell me where the new MTB trail running parallel with road starts and stops?

Keen to ride it tomorrow.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It runs in a clockwise direction and starts after the entrance to kloofzicht. Rode it today very lekker. Except we went the wrong way round - apologies to all the okes coming the other way! Will get it right next time.

I did it on sunday. Parked at gilroys and rode on the R114 via avianto to kloofzicht. The trail runs from kloofzicht to beyers naude circle. It is a really nice trail and quiet easy riding. the last bit on beyers naude is on tar and not so nice but at least there was a beer to look forward to. the total route was 40km.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I rode it for the first time on Friday morning. Was at a conference at Kloofzicht and popped out early to do some riding.

I have to say that I was thoroughly impressed. 18km of really fun singletrack snaking its way next to the Cradle road loop. I did the 18km out, turned around and did the trail in reverse (obviously being very vigilant and making way for riders approaching - being early on Friday morning there only was 2). Really enjoyable!  

Combining this with Heia Safari would make for a great ride! It would add roughly 30km (of which 18km is singletrack) to the already awesome 40km of trail that Heia has, making for a proper 70km ride. It'll keep you busy for a while.

hey is this safe for a couple of girls to do on their own during the week?

anyone got a route file for me?

Edited by Uni

I rode it for the first time on Friday morning. Was at a conference at Kloofzicht and popped out early to do some riding.

I have to say that I was thoroughly impressed. 18km of really fun singletrack snaking its way next to the Cradle road loop. I did the 18km out, turned around and did the trail in reverse (obviously being very vigilant and making way for riders approaching - being early on Friday morning there only was 2). Really enjoyable!  

Combining this with Heia Safari would make for a great ride! It would add roughly 30km (of which 18km is singletrack) to the already awesome 40km of trail that Heia has, making for a proper 70km ride. It'll keep you busy for a while.

Spot on!! Done this a couple of times, including Heia Safari makes you properly tired and really cool riding. Yellow route at Heia is a blast.

How do you get from the Cradle trail on to the Heia trails?

If you do the Cradle trail in the correct direction, you ride from the turning circle where the cradle trail ends at the intersection of R540 and M5 (Beyers Naude extension). Head towards Randburg, Heia Safari on your right. 

hey is this safe for a couple of girls to do on their own during the week?

anyone got a route file for me?

Just received this email compliments of the Cradle MTB guys:

Cradle MTB Trail update

Maintenance and construction upgrades for 2015

Trails are never really “finished” and hence the focus on the first 18 km trail section has mostly been around trail maintenance.

The ongoing management of vegetation is without doubt the primary maintenance activity at present and the support received from the “Working on Fire” team is much appreciated. They took responsibility for “cleaning” the Gateways weekly and assisting with vegetation management along the trail as and where required.

Negotiation and discussion around the appointment of a contractor/s to undertake trail maintenance and much needed trail upgrade work mainly aimed at trail safety and flow improvements is nearing completion. Once technical construction details and maintenance requirements have been defined and agreed on, the appointment of external service providers to undertake maintenance and trail upgrade work should be finalised by early January 2015. Once an appointment has been made, your co-operation with the construction/maintenance teams will be appreciated. The intention is to undertake construction/maintenance activities during week days and to have the trail open and ready for use over weekends. This may however not always be possible and you are urged to obey construction warning signs along the trail.

The work to be undertaken should commence during early January 2015 and upgrade work (improved safety railings, trailhead signage, wooden bridges, route re-alignments and trail route signage) should be completed by end of March 2015.

Trail maintenance work will however continue during the next few seasons to ensure rider safety and enjoyment. It appears from casual observation along the trail that riders are mostly obeying the directional signage by riding the trail in a “clockwise” direction. Thanks to all – it is important to ride with respect along the trails.

The possible construction of a dedicated “mountain bike bridge” over the Bloubank Spruit to improve safety and reduce “bicycle” congestion at the existing narrow vehicle bridge, is receiving urgent attention. The possible construction of this bridge and other necessary trail upgrades has the potential to improve the trail and rider experience noticeably.

Future opportunities to engage with trail users, facility owners and other stakeholders in a more direct way and to facilitate wider involvement in the trails and cycle lanes in the Cradle is envisaged.    

A safe and happy festive season to you all.

Hein