SuperR

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It really is not that difficult, it just depends on whether you want to ride or race it.

My rear derailleur broke after 40km last year. I then removed it, broke the chain, and made myself an SS.

I finished the 94 on a 39/14 in 3:30.

The only problem is because it was not a SS specific, I had to stop about every 3km because my chain kept running up the cassette (and it would cause the chain to break).

I've always wanted to SS, but this was because I had no choice! I truly enjoyed the rest of the ride - and it was awesome to beat everyone with gears up the hills!!! Although, only to have them fly past me when I reached 35km/h.

I think it's very doable...

AND SO MUCH FUN!!

I've only ridden 94.7 SS'ily.

2011 MTB 32/16

and the last 2 years on my "Fixie" but Freewheel 46/18.

I had an absolute blast, although I fared better on the "Fixie".

Respect to the guys who ride it fixed AND more so the guys on Unicycles and those riding the million ton 3-wheeled Choc bikes.

Thanks for all the encouraging replies, I truly am looking forward to go ride my SS on is race!

My bike is a work in progress - already bought some new racing brake levers, seat, front and rear brake assembly and a whole set of new rubbers. I am considering some new wheels, so if anyone has some light weight wheels to trade - give me a heads up.

Next step will be to sand / sandblast the whole thing and respray it. but that will take some time so for now will just ride it with its old paintjob. Peugeot Mirage is the model. I have no idea if this is good or bad, or what year model it is. since it weighs about 1/3 of the weight of my Giant MTB, i bought it right there and then.

Here is a photo I took of it.

post-58806-0-70020300-1399113665_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Awesome! I also want to do this year's 94.7 on a SS. Did my last one a few years back with my dual suspension MTB and nobblies. This should be an equal challenge. Still shopping around for one though.

Jules Cobbett raced VAs two years ago on a SS in a green body suit and got second. It would be interesting to see if you could do anything more radical than that!

Edited by jmaccelari

Well, if you are a fool for doing it, then it gives you all the more reason to do it?

So, DO IT!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest notmyname

Morning all. I to am planning a 94.7 on a SS road bike. My dilemma is the chain rings are five bolt with 39t and 53t And I'd like to keep this bike as original as possible. I realise that I will have to do some experimenting with sprocket Sizes to find what will work for best for me. What ratios should I be acquiring? Spanx in advance for your input. N

Morning all. I to am planning a 94.7 on a SS road bike. My dilemma is the chain rings are five bolt with 39t and 53t And I'd like to keep this bike as original as possible. I realise that I will have to do some experimenting with sprocket Sizes to find what will work for best for me. What ratios should I be acquiring? Spanx in advance for your input. N

Have done it on a 32x16....spinned like a top

Think 32x15 or 14 will be better ratio.

Guest notmyname

Dankie rouxtjie but I only have 39t and 53t. I don't want to drop to many more randellas on this campaign(buying lady a new mtb in the next few months)

Dankie rouxtjie but I only have 39t and 53t. I don't want to drop to many more randellas on this campaign(buying lady a new mtb in the next few months)

Ag to be honest with you, I reckon take the easiest out of the two and make a day of it....you know, stop for a coffee, take in the sights and sounds....very lekker day out with closed roads

39 x 18 will work for most. I will start there