Considering 2014 Bela Bela Triathlon...

SuperR

Hi guys,

I am considering to do the Bela Bela Triathlon this year.

I have done triathlons in my youth (15 years ago) and now I want to relive the thrill.

Has anyone of you completed this race? Any tips?

Also - since I just can't get myself off of my "new" single speed road bike..

Would this be considered a good idea to take this bike of mine to the event? I am really not interested in winning, it is more of a personal challenge. The only other bike I have is a MTB so it is either the single speed or the MTB on slicks.

Any hints would be appreciated.

(Already vowed to sign up for the 2014 94.7 on this specific single speed) Eish.

Kind regards,

G

The swim is a walk...you can walk and it is not deep around the ski dam.

The Bike is gonna be tuff if you gonna go SS, big climb out and fast back.

The run is a fairly flat around the rondavels.

Lot of cash to spend to do a olympic distance, stayover, entry etc.

The only other bike I have is a MTB so it is either the single speed or the MTB on slicks.

Just double check the race guide for the rules. Its run by the same guys that run IM & 70.3, and I know in IM & 70.3; mountain bikes are specifically not allowed.

Otherwise on a ss with those hills you gonna K@K big time :eek:

They do allow MTBs so no reason why your SS will not be allowed. The climbing is no more than what you will do in the Cradle.

Look at the thread from last year's race, lots of feedback there.

Not a fan of this race.

Good race for your first one back - easy swim and run.

The bike is tough - two loops of 10km uphill, 10km downhill. The SS will be very hard on the legs, but if you are a strong cyclist should be manageable - you can recover a bit on the last 10km downhill back before the run.

I've done all 3 years.

Like EVERY tri race in SA, there are always a few issues.

As a newbie, a good race to enter. You get the "Ironman" experience without having to race 226kms.

Well organised, great vibe.

1.5 hrs from JHB. with a midday start time you can drive Sat morning and stay a night or drive home same day.

A campsite (with power) within the resort (where the race takes place) costs very little. Also great for the family with the slides and pools etc.

Swim is easy

Bike is fairly tough

Run is fast

and every year the times are not as quick as they should be. Race starts at midday, so the heat seems to catch everyone each year + first race of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

If MTBikes are allowed then I will most probably see you guys there!! It will def be a first for me!

The PTA Guys, would you say the hill on Hans Strydom(Solomon Mahlangu) between Garsfontein and the Constancia turnoff would be good enough training for the uphill of the Cycling route?

You get the "Ironman" experience without having to race 226kms.

Umm, that is a bit of oversell. Yes it is very efficiently organised but...

Swim course sucks. Well it is a wade, not a swim.

Cycle course is dangerous with vehicles on the course. Going down hills at 70kmh with mountain bikes wobbling up the hill with no separation is not fun.

Run is quite nice.

You sit around in the heat for hours waiting for your start. Your bottles are at coffee temperature by the time you get on your bike.

The shirt and the medal are great.

For a novice, it is a good race to start. But 'Ironman experience' is a stretch.

Umm, that is a bit of oversell. Yes it is very efficiently organised but...

Swim course sucks. Well it is a wade, not a swim.

Cycle course is dangerous with vehicles on the course. Going down hills at 70kmh with mountain bikes wobbling up the hill with no separation is not fun.

Run is quite nice.

You sit around in the heat for hours waiting for your start. Your bottles are at coffee temperature by the time you get on your bike.

The shirt and the medal are great.

For a novice, it is a good race to start. But 'Ironman experience' is a stretch.

i agree with your points above,

"Ironman experience", well what's really the difference to PE or EL, it has Paul Kaye on the mic, red carpet, m-dot signs everywhere, beer tents, "after party", awards ceremony and an expo (relative to the size of the event)

At the full IM, the vibe is a lot more serious..obviously, but the recipe is still the same.

So yes, I think you will get the Ironman brand experience.

Hi guys,

I am considering to do the Bela Bela Triathlon this year.

I have done triathlons in my youth (15 years ago) and now I want to relive the thrill.

Has anyone of you completed this race? Any tips?

Also - since I just can't get myself off of my "new" single speed road bike..

Would this be considered a good idea to take this bike of mine to the event? I am really not interested in winning, it is more of a personal challenge. The only other bike I have is a MTB so it is either the single speed or the MTB on slicks.

Any hints would be appreciated.

(Already vowed to sign up for the 2014 94.7 on this specific single speed) Eish.

Kind regards,

G

Consider the Sun City event as well. I have never done it but am hearing good things. And its well ......... at Sun City FFS!!!

Consider the Sun City event as well. I have never done it but am hearing good things. And its well ......... at Sun City FFS!!!

Skipping 5150 Germiston this year to do the 11Global at Suncity. Heard good things about this race so gonna give it a go this year.

I hope they get Germiston right after last years muck up with traffic on the roads.

Was a really nice race other than having to keep stopping.

I hope they get Germiston right after last years muck up with traffic on the roads.

Was a really nice race other than having to keep stopping.

it will be interesting if the bike course stays the same

Is there a reason why the BelaBela is more expensive than the other Triathlons of the same distance?

Is there a reason why the BelaBela is more expensive than the other Triathlons of the same distance?

Probably because IM is an American brand and they work in $. As far as I know it is so with the 11Global events for which they charge a set $ fee worldwide.

Edited by Snytjie

I haven't done either of the Bela-Bela or Sun City races, but my opinion based two years' reports is that you are more likely to experience the "thrill" of racing at Sun City than Bela-Bela.

At Bela-Bela you might experience disappointment/frustration at people walking the swim and fear on the bike route, but I've never heard anyone referring to it as "thrilling".