So how was the Joberg2c navigation?

IdeJongh

So we did the 2012 Joberg2c and it was without a doubt the best days I've spent on a bike!

It was an awesome adventure to just get on the bike every morning, and experience our wonderful country in a way I never thought I would.

I was very disappointed when I heard of the 'self navigation' now required at the race, as I feared it would detract from the experience.

Now that this year's race is done, those who've gone through it, what are your thoughts? Better than before? Worse? Problems? Advice?

Looking to give it a bash again in 2015 ^_^

It really wasnt an issue provided you had the courses loaded up beforehand to your GPS. I rode with a Garmin Edge 500 and it beeped the few times I went off course and it was pretty easy to get back on course. On some of the stages where there were a lot of turns and non obvious routes, there were still route arrows to mark the way.

It certainly does not detract from the experience and I wouldn't let it put you off.

I rode with a Joule GPS and there was no problem following the bread crumb trail. It quickly let's you know that you are off course and like mentioned it is very easy to get back on course.

Most of the big turns where either marker or managed by Off road rescue, which I have to add, where superb!

It really wasnt an issue provided you had the courses loaded up beforehand to your GPS. I rode with a Garmin Edge 500 and it beeped the few times I went off course and it was pretty easy to get back on course. On some of the stages where there were a lot of turns and non obvious routes, there were still route arrows to mark the way.

It certainly does not detract from the experience and I wouldn't let it put you off.

HOW DID YOU GUYS GO THIS YEAR AROUND COMPARED TO LAST, AND DID YOU RIDE WITH DIRK AGAIN

It was hundreds. Really easy to follow. Didn't affect the riding one bit. Took one wrong fork on day 1 cos wasn't concentrating, and after about 10m the thing shouted at us to turn around.

A lot of the time you just following riders in front of you anyway. All good, and IMO the way to go.

I saw that tweet. Next year sani is self navigated. My biggest worry was that my Bryton 40 won't do the job, but it seems that it will, so no issues.

The feedback has been very positive though.

How do you stop cheating?

By now plenty of people know the Sani route and, mostly, if you get off course there is a district road nearby. Perfect for 29'ers.

To be honest, I barely looked at the GPS (Bryton 40). There were some route deviations that caused it to beep, so first i turned the sound off. But by the end of the fourth day, i'd gotten bored of it altogether and left it off the bike. The whole route was so clearly marked (with deviations even more so) and following other riders (or just watching for their dust) was more than adequate.

And Farmer Glen lies! A tandem pair (WTF rides down the escarpment on a tandem???) added a few extra km's on the 120km fourth day after taking an unintended detour. But they were there for dinner, so no harm done!

How do you stop cheating?

By now plenty of people know the Sani route and, mostly, if you get off course there is a district road nearby. Perfect for 29'ers.

Why you would pay R6k for a race and miss out on the route does not make any sense...(talking about Sani2C)

Nav using my Garmin 510 worked perfectly. No issues. A guy from Garmin kindly uploaded the files onto my divine at registration and all I did every morning was select the course for the day and push start. Couldn't be simpler,

But if you're a middle pack rider you don't even need a GPS, just follow the rider, or rider's dust, in front of you.

For any one thinking of doing JoBerg2c I can't recommended this ride enough. It will exceed your expectations and leave you with the most incredible memories. The people you meet are great, the vista's of this amazing county spectacular, the single track sublime..

If I can I will do it again next year. No question.

Thanks for this, did not know you could load route info on an Edge 500... you learn something new everyday!! :)