Flu before Sani2C

more importantly stay away from groups of riders especially races actually ,,malls,,shops, wash hands like a freak all day long and dont touch your face unless you have washed your hands

anal i know but limits your chances of getting a virrus

Also.... use hand disinfectant gel / spray after washing, that stuff that became so popular when the bird flu scare started...

Go home and lie in bed.... this is important too...

What are the realistic risks if you do an endurance sport while or shortly after having a cold / flu like thing that is residing below throat level i.e. in the chest?

Would it not be better to not do the event, easy to say but....?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The ONLY advice that should be given, unless a heart attack sounds appealing.

The guy that died at Clarens was rumored to have a possible bronchitis a week or three before.

Your call.

The guy that died at Clarens was rumored to have a possible bronchitis a week or three before.

Your call.

Lovely...

Good luck with the decision. I had bronchitis a week before sabie experience last year. Rest, the antibiotics, nubilising en rubbing chest with vics (twice a day) got me through. Good luck; hope you get well soon!!

Get better. I fell off my bike at sugar rush on Thursday. Bust my hand and had surgery today. Sani over for another year! :(

What are the realistic risks if you do an endurance sport while or shortly after having a cold / flu like thing that is residing below throat level i.e. in the chest?

Would it not be better to not do the event, easy to say but....?

Mostly it depends what you have and how hard you go - if you just go for a cruise, then they are relatively low, if you go hard, then they are much higher.

If you have any kind of green phlegm, then resting is probably best.

BUT - 5 days in bed will get you over most things.

Get better. I fell off my bike at sugar rush on Thursday. Bust my hand and had surgery today. Sani over for another year! :(

Damn man, sorry to hear that!! That sucks big time.

Just wanna say I feel ya pain and frustration

I’ve been battling with this **** for 6 weeks, been on 2 courses of antibiotics..

Symptoms :

Moderate White slime coming from my chest, not green or yellow.

Slight Feeling of pressure on the chest

Open Nose and airway, no coughing

No fever What so ever

Do feel flat sometimes, and if I train my heart rate is up the next day, sigh

WTF???

Gonna stay in bed till Tuesday and hope for the best, I really wish everyone the best of luck thats struggling with illness before the sani

peace,

Ace

Edited by Acerunner

@Acerunner : I've got exactly the same symptoms, it's just frustrating.

Good luck man, hope yours clears up. I'm going to try physio to try bang the phlem out my chest. :-)

Mostly it depends what you have and how hard you go - if you just go for a cruise, then they are relatively low, if you go hard, then they are much higher.

If you have any kind of green phlegm, then resting is probably best.

BUT - 5 days in bed will get you over most things.

just please dont our SHOWER HEAD PRES. FIND OUT ABOUT THIS :whistling:

Your call.

When I was a lot younger, a family friend (multiple Comrades/Two Oceans finisher) went for an 8km easy jog on Table Mountain with the 'flu and never came back.

Saddest thing is that it (the heart attack) was so easily avoidable.

@Acerunner : I've got exactly the same symptoms, it's just frustrating.

Good luck man, hope yours clears up. I'm going to try physio to try bang the phlem out my chest. :-)

Wesley, how was your sani???

Hey guys

Thanks for all your suggestions. Went to the doc again last Fri and she said I shouldn't ride. Went to physio on the Sat morning and she said she thought I could ride but VERY carefully... so obviously I took the physio's advice! ☺

Started the trail on Tue, rode very easy on Day 1, did 5h00. Felt ok on Day 2 but still didn't push too hard, did 7h20 and last day felt ok and did 4h25. Had a great time, glad I did it for my 3rd time.

anal! i know, but limits your chances of getting a virrus

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I know!!! Im still trying to figure out how anal will reduce your chances of getting a virus... :w00t:

Worth a shot though (excuse the pun) :whistling:

My 10c worth :

At all depends on what you have :

Fever, body aches, pulse is up : DONT RIDE

I rode the best sani of my life this year, was out for 6 weeks because of illness, and i still had alot in my chest during the sani...

So that below the neck rule thing wasnt very applicable to me, i wish a professional could write a decent article about this