Preventing my shifters from hitting my toptube

Hi Hubbers

So I just got my new carbon 29er (first 29er, first carbon - yes I am very happy) BMC Te02...

But now all of a sudden I am terrified that when I crash (this is certain, it happens regularly), my handlebar will swing past 90 degrees and my shifters/brake levers will damage my toptube.

Could any of the old hands please give me some advice on how to prevent this?

The options I have thus far is:

1. http://www.acros.de/PRODUCTS/HEADSET/BLOCKLOCK:::3_91_145.html

2. Helicopter tape;

3. Loosening my shifters and brakes (tilting them upwards is too uncomfortable); or

4. Not crashing, at all, ever.

Any thoughts?

Got the same problem, did put some contact on my toptube, however some damage already done.

I fall every ride, maybe I should stick to the road :ph34r:

is your setup right? before looking at all of this make sure your headset rise etc is done. there's a chance that this might negate the issue

It's not uncommon that on a 29er you have to run the handle bar as low as possible to not stuff up your riding position. This can mean flat bars with an inverted stem and no spacers. The net result is that you can experience issues as you have.

It begs the question - how tall are you? And what size is your bike? It sounds like it is too big for you.

is your setup right? before looking at all of this make sure your headset rise etc is done. there's a chance that this might negate the issue

Hi Shebeen - setup is right, same as its always been, although I have thought about something like ergofit of bg.

It's not uncommon that on a 29er you have to run the handle bar as low as possible to not stuff up your riding position. This can mean flat bars with an inverted stem and no spacers. The net result is that you can experience issues as you have.

It begs the question - how tall are you? And what size is your bike? It sounds like it is too big for you.

Hi Nolipoli

I'm 1.76m smack bang in the middle of the BMC Medium sizing! I decently tested the small out before buying (my goose has one), but it was too cramped. I'm sure the medium is the correct size.

My bars are not slammed, neither am I running a negative rise stem!

For the weekend's Tru Cape I'll make a backyard-I-hope-nobody-sees-it fix, but hopefully I'll find a solution.

Thanks for the advice so far!

Just as a sidenote, I am getting gripshifters as soon as I can afford it, which would probably solve this issue - but in the meantime I don't want to do any lasting damage.

I did this 2 years ago and have never regretted it. No accidental changing, very positive, easy "trimming" if you have 3 front rings....................

Run your shifters and brakes loose enough so that if they do hit the top tube they rotate upwards.

This also works when you hit a tree as they then tilt down rather than braking.

Just get a Triple Crown! =D (Will also help with not falling although your uphill might suffer slightly)

Standard insurance should cover you for a fall. I was covered for a new set of brakes after falling and damaging mine in a rock garden. Pity insurance can't make it hurt less...

This is a design issue, and some frames suffer more than others, some don't have this issue at all. You will find that the BMC's are often scratched in the workshop or oven on the shop floor because of this. The KTM'S also have this problem. It's not a fall that's going to scratch your bike/damage, it's going to happen from loading/storing/etc.

Not much you can do about it, except for grip shifters and a good frame protection film.