Anyone ride in Bill Stewart Reserve (Germiston/Bedfordview)?

David Messem

Does anyone ride in the Bill Stewart Municipal Reserve?

Google maps:

https://www.google.c...9,28.151034,17z

I have moved pretty close to it and it would be great to have some kind of trail so close.

The main concern is of course safety. I have ridden a section next to Ag De Witt drive, but haven't ventured further in. I can see that there are many other walking paths that are in more isolated parts of the reserve.

On the Strava heatmap that there has been some rides logged there, but it doesn't look like many and I can't tell when it was.

Does anyone have experience riding there?

post-39629-0-87885600-1400321969_thumb.png

I have mapped a couple of Strava maps there. But i haven't gone deep into the reserve, doesn't seem very safe to ride alone, sure if we a group it might be safer...

It is not very safe. I have done maybe 15-20 rides here and at some points you are very isolated and there are many vagrants. On two occasions I was advised to leave by local security personel.

It is not very safe. I have done maybe 15-20 rides here and at some points you are very isolated and there are many vagrants. On two occasions I was advised to leave by local security personel.

+1

We used to trail run through there, plenty dodgy characters! Eventually decided it wasn't worth the risk even though the Jhb skyline views are superb and it's actually a really nice section to run.

We have ridden there over the past 10years and never had any issues

Hard riding nice and technical

AG de Wit and Shamrock a no-go for cyclist. No cycling boards have been put up some time ago

When do u ride svm3000, would like to try it out because i live super close by and would like to ride the mornings.

When do u ride svm3000, would like to try it out because i live super close by and would like to ride the mornings.

I would also like to join the next ride. :thumbup:

Edited by dINGLE485

I also live close and would give it a go if there are a few of us..... Ridden there once or twice and did feel a bit isolated.

AG de Wit and Shamrock a no-go for cyclist. No cycling boards have been put up some time ago

But the no cycling signs are only situated on ag De wit between association and Churchill... Am I wrong to cycle before these? Any particular reason not to? This is where I do some good hill training on the road so just wondering?

I will follow this thread,am definitley keen to join if this happens.

See most guys are in bedfordview,possibly start a whattsapp group?

Edited by Tayyib

I will follow this thread,am definitley keen to join if this happens.

See most guys are in bedfordview,possibly start a whattsapp group?

Thats not a bad idea, does anyone know the total riding distance the reserve is??

Im keen to get a riding group going!!!

Went past there yesterday and the fencing on AG de Wett and others is quite extensive - even the lookout spot is inaccessible now. The local paper often has reports of incidents in there and it must have been used as an entry/exit route for the robbing classes.

I can see that its very inviting for mtb'ers, just go in a group.