1 x 11 Chainring for Wines2Whales

Shangri la

All you 1 x 11 guys, some direction please.

I did the Sani2C on my 34 tooth 1 x 11 and was fine barring the mid section on Push - of- a- Climb and the narrley section just after the 1st water point day 2.

For Wines2whales should I change to a 32?? Will be my first and I have been told it may be a good idea???

I am on a Tallboy and I am going to change to a 32 (from current 34) for Wines2Whales.

While I can climb mostly anything on 34, W2W has got a few steeper and longer hills than my normal backyard.

You guys on 29ers? Then you are are strong. I have a 30T. Did Houw Hoek Tour no problem.

I'm on a TallBoy 29 and manage the 34 ok - even in Sabie. But hear you guys in WC !!!! will start looking for a 32 :)

Hi guys. Im also doing w2w at the end of the year, and am keen to convert to 1x10. I have a scott scale 910 with full xt, 2x10 at the moment. I have the stndard xt 10 speed 11-36 casette. I am keen to buy the OneUp components 40T and 16T, and then fit those to my casette. The question is.. Will the 40T give me enough of a "granny" gear to ride a 34 up front? Im leaning towards the wolftooth 34T, but am worried i may struggle on the climbs. Has anybody done this exact conversion and managed or is it wise to buy a 32T first and then see..

I'm on a Tallboy, ran a 34 for the first half of Joberg2C this year then switched to 32. Downhill is free km's - so if you spin out, so be it! 32 does the job on the steep stuff :) For the last years Cape Pioneer I used a 32 and on some of those climbs I wished I had a 30 but managed fine on the 32.

My 2c's - 32 is the way to go!

Err have my xx1 setup with the 36T on the front did the w2w on 34T last year, u should be fine. Find that u gonna bottom out on the 32T on the flats.

Just did Houw Hoek tour 3 & 4 May which is basically day 2 & day 3 of W2w.....on a 36t, I too reckon that on a 32T you will spin out.

I find a 29x34 to be more than enough for most climbs around the western cape when I'm blown. A 36T on a 1x11 should be more than enough. A 34T CR should give you enough safety net.

If not, are you fit enough to be riding such an event?

Awesome guys thanks for the feedback. Il be going for the 34t then. I dont have a 1x11, and am not upgrading my casette. Hence the hesitance with jumping straight into a 34t.

Next Question - to thoes running 1x11 I think I read you can run 1 up or 1 down from the current chainring size without changing the chain leanth. i.e. a 34 and a 32.

Is that correct??

On D1 you could wish for a 32 on the bits up to the portage. Rest of D1 and the rest will be fine on 34. Thus 34 with a bit of sweating early ( especially if Hans se Kop is back in). Beware taking advise from these bloody mountaingoats - they climb those hills before breakfast.

• 2 months later...

All you 1 x 11 guys, some direction please.

I did the Sani2C on my 34 tooth 1 x 11 and was fine barring the mid section on Push - of- a- Climb and the narrley section just after the 1st water point day 2.

For Wines2whales should I change to a 32?? Will be my first and I have been told it may be a good idea???

I managed push of a climb on my 32, doubt I would have made it on a 34. Hope that helps.